GEICO has been a part of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance family since 1996. While widely known for its auto insurance policies, through its partner network, GEICO also offers affordable homeowners insurance across the U.S. This extensive network includes established, reputable companies such as AIG, American Family, The Hartford, and Liberty Mutual.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
Has a strong reputation
Customer service 7 days a week
Types of policies vary because it’s an agency
Rates can vary depending on the partner insurer
- Homeowners insurance is available in all 50 states
- Strong, long-standing reputation with very few reported complaints
- Because GEICO's homeowners insurance arm operates as an agency, the quotes and policies are underwritten by third-party providers. Pricing, and coverage can vary greatly.
- Customer service reps available to chat over the phone, 7 days a week
- Year Founded 1936
- Official Website www.geico.com
- Insurance Offered Homeowners, auto, renters, RV, boat, motorcycle and more
- Customer Service 24/7 phone: 1-800-207-7847
- Available in all 50 states: GEICO homeowners insurance is available nationwide, which makes it easy to shop should you have homes in multiple states, or might be selling your home and uprooting to another state.
- Sterling reputation: As far as consumer complaints go, per the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), for GEICO as a whole, there were a total of 348 complaints in 2020. This makes up only 1.018% of complaints in the U.S. market, which is a tiny fraction. And GEICO has received an A++ rating from AM Best for financial health.
- Customer service agents available 7 days a week: Should you need some assistance, you can talk to a human any day of the week.
- Types of policies can vary: Because GEICO partners with other insurance companies, the policies themselves can be very different. You’ll need to provide basic details — either by phone or online — to get a policy quote so you can compare different insurers.
- Rates can vary depending on the partner insurance company: Because GEICO homeowners insurance is an agency, it’ll shop around for the best rate based on your location and other parameters you set in place. But the rates vary depending on the partner insurer you decide to go with.
GEICO Standard Home Insurance Coverage Plan
When you purchase a homeowner's insurance policy through GEICO, you're actually getting a policy through one of its partners. It's important to note that for homeowners, renters, and condo insurance, GEICO is an insurance agency.
What does this mean exactly? GEICO's policies are underwritten by insurance companies that aren't affiliated with GEICO. In turn, your policy might vary depending on where you live.
You can expect a standard homeowner's insurance policy to potentially include the following:
This typically covers the cost to repair or replace damage to your house and permanently attached structures — think garages and tool sheds — due to water damage, fire, wind, and hail.
Personal Property Coverage
After a covered loss, this can help recoup the cost to repair or replace personal belongings that were damaged or stolen. Belongings that are covered include furniture, appliances, clothing, and in some cases, dishes.
Have some valuable jewelry stowed in your home? Should it get stolen, GEICO’s policy offers limited coverage ranging anywhere from $500 to $2,000. You might need to opt for additional coverage for engagement rings, diamond bracelets, and wedding bands.
Should someone get injured or have their property damaged by you or your pets, should you be faced with a lawsuit, personal liability could help cover the legal costs.
Let’s say someone who doesn’t live with you becomes injured on your property. Homeowners insurance could pay for the medical bills.
This might include the costs to stay elsewhere if your home is uninhabitable due to a peril, such as a fire or a flood.
The factors that affect your rates vary according to the insurance company. But standard factors include
- Property location
- Roof condition
- Characteristics of the home
- Previous claims
- Presence of home security systems
- Incidences of dog bites on the premises
GEICO Home Insurance Discounts
While GEICO homeowners insurance reviews indicate that its customers are happy with, you can save on your policy by doing the following:
- Bundling your policy: By hopping on a multi-policy that includes both homeowners and auto insurance, you can snag a discount.
- Home security systems: Installing a home security system increases home safety. In turn, it could bump down the odds of you filing a homeowner's insurance claim for theft or damage to your home.
- Installing smoke detector alarms or fire extinguishers: Your premiums might be lowered by installing safety mechanisms or equipment in your abode.
GEICO Home Insurance Availability
GEICO’s home insurance policies are available in all 50 states. But the coverage, payment plans, discounts, and features might not be available in all 50 states.
Other Insurance Provided by Provider Name
Besides homeowners insurance, GEICO also offers the following insurance coverage:
- Auto insurance
- Renters insurance
- Flood insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Pet insurance
- Jewelry insurance
- Business insurance
GEICO Customer Service
GEICO’s homeowner's insurance customer service team can be reached through its app, online, or by phone, 7 days a week. You can talk to a human Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. EST, and weekends from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. EST.
If you live in Hawaii, customer service agents are available weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. HST, and Florida residents can chat with a rep on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EST.
How to Make a Home Insurance Claim with GEICO
You can make a homeowner's insurance claim in a number of ways: By logging in to your account and filing a claim online, or by pinning down a contact number and reaching out to the insurer by phone.
Get a GEICO Homeowners Insurance Quote
An initial quote can be obtained by requesting one on its website. You’ll be walked through a series of questions, including your personal information, if you’re a current homeowner or in the process of buying a new home, the location, and other details like the number of bedrooms and bathrooms and quality of the roof. Prepare to have that information handy when requesting a quote.
Compare Other Home Insurance
As GEICO is a homeowner's insurance agency that has insurance partners, it’s a bit of hybrid between a comparison site and an insurance company. It’s important to do your research and compare multiple car insurance companies to ensure you get the right coverage at the best price for your needs.
Because GEICO’s homeowner's insurance arm works as an agency, it serves as a one-stop shop to seek the most affordable insurance available through its partner companies. But it’s helpful to remember that GEICO’s homeowner's insurance coverage is underwritten by its unaffiliated insurers. The policy, rates, discounts available, and payment plans can differ depending on factors such as what coverage you choose and where you live. It's relatively easy to obtain a policy through GEICO's website, and the company's presence in all 50 states makes it a convenient choice for almost anyone.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of homeowner's insurance providers. We reviewed each insurance provider's coverage options, discounts available, customer service, and satisfaction to ensure that our content helps users make the right insurance decision for their needs.
NAIC. "Geico General Insurance Company." Accessed Sept. 11, 2021.
AM Best. "AM Best Affirms Credit Ratings of Geico, Geico Corporation and Its Affiliate." Accessed Sept. 12, 2021.