We independently evaluate all recommended products and services. If you click on links we provide, we may receive compensation. Learn more.
GEICO has been a part of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance family since 1996. While widely known for its auto insurance policies, through its partner network, GEICO also offers affordable homeowners insurance across the U.S. This extensive network includes established, reputable companies such as AIG, American Family, The Hartford, and Liberty Mutual.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
Has a strong reputation
Customer service 7 days a week
Types of policies vary because it’s an agency
Rates can vary depending on the partner insurer
- Homeowners insurance is available in all 50 states
- Strong, long-standing reputation with very few reported complaints
- Because GEICO's homeowners insurance arm operates as an agency, the quotes and policies are underwritten by third-party providers. Pricing, and coverage can vary greatly.
- Customer service reps available to chat over the phone, 7 days a week
- Year Founded 1936
- Official Website www.geico.com
- Insurance Offered Homeowners, auto, renters, RV, boat, motorcycle and more
- Customer Service 24/7 phone: 1-800-207-7847
- Available in all 50 states: GEICO homeowners insurance is available nationwide, making it easy to shop if you own homes in multiple states or are selling your current home to move to another state.
- Sterling reputation: Per the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), GEICO received 649 complaints in 2021 for all policies, accounting for only 1.15% of complaints in the total U.S. insurance market. For GEICO homeowner's policies, only 2 complaints were received. GEICO has received an A++ rating from AM Best for financial health.
- Customer service agents available seven days a week: Should you need some assistance, you can talk to a human any day of the week.
- Types of policies can vary: Because GEICO partners with other insurance companies, the policies can differ. By providing basic details and needs—either by phone or online—you can receive a policy quote and compare different offers.
- Rates can vary depending on the partner insurance company: GEICO will act as an agent to shop around for the best rate based on your location and other parameters, but rates will vary depending on the partner insurer that you choose.
GEICO Standard Home Insurance Coverage Plan
When you purchase a homeowner's insurance policy through GEICO, you get a policy through one of its partners. It's important to note that GEICO is an insurance agency for homeowners, renters, and condo insurance.
What does this mean exactly? GEICO's policies are underwritten by insurance companies that aren't affiliated with GEICO. In turn, your policy might vary depending on where you live.
You can expect a standard homeowner's insurance policy to likely include the following:
This typically covers the cost to repair or replace damage to your house and permanently attached structures, like garages and tool sheds, due to water damage, fire, wind, and hail.
Personal property coverage
After a covered loss, this coverage helps recoup the cost to repair or replace personal belongings that were damaged or stolen. Belongings that are often covered include furniture, appliances, and clothing.
Do you keep valuable jewelry in your home? Should it get stolen, GEICO’s policy offers limited coverage ranging anywhere from $500 to $2,000. You might need to opt for additional coverage for your engagement ring, diamond bracelet, and wedding band.
Personal liability coverage could help cover the legal costs should someone get injured or have their property damaged by you or your pets, or if you are faced with a lawsuit.
Let’s say someone who doesn’t live with you is injured on your property. Homeowner's insurance could pay for the medical bills.
This might include the costs to stay elsewhere if your home is uninhabitable due to a peril, such as a fire or a flood.
The factors that affect your rates vary according to the insurance company. But standard factors include
- Property location
- Roof condition
- Characteristics of the home
- Previous claims
- Presence of home security systems
- Incidences of dog bites on the premises
GEICO Home Insurance Discounts
While GEICO homeowners insurance reviews indicate that its customers are happy with policy choices and costs, you can save on your policy by doing the following:
- Bundling your policy: By choosing a multi-policy that includes both homeowners and auto insurance, you can snag a discount.
- Home security systems: Installing a home security system increases home safety. In turn, it decreases the odds of filing a homeowner's insurance claim for theft or damage to your home.
- Installing smoke detector alarms or fire extinguishers: Your premiums might be lowered by installing safety mechanisms or equipment in your home.
GEICO Home Insurance Availability
GEICO’s home insurance policies are available in all 50 states. But the coverage, payment plans, discounts, and features vary by location.
Other Insurance Provided
Besides homeowners insurance, GEICO also offers the following insurance coverage:
- Auto insurance
- Renters insurance
- Flood insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Pet insurance
- Jewelry insurance
- Business insurance
GEICO Customer Service
GEICO’s homeowner's insurance customer service team can be reached through its app, online, or by phone, seven days a week. You can talk to a human Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. EST and on weekends from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. EST.
If you live in Hawaii, customer service agents are available weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. HST, and Florida residents can chat with a rep on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EST.
How to Make a Home Insurance Claim With GEICO
You can make a homeowner's insurance claim in several ways: By logging in to your account and filing a claim online, or by pinning down a contact number and reaching out to the insurer by phone.
Get a GEICO Homeowners Insurance Quote
An initial quote can be obtained by requesting one on its website. You’ll be guided through a series of questions, including your personal information if you’re a current homeowner or in the process of buying a new home.
You'll need the location and other details like the number of bedrooms and bathrooms and the quality of the roof. Prepare to have that information handy when requesting a quote.
Compare Other Home Insurance
As GEICO is a homeowner's insurance agency that has insurance partners, it’s a bit of a hybrid between a comparison site and an insurance company. It’s important to do your research and compare multiple insurance companies to ensure you get the right coverage at the best price for your needs.
Because GEICO’s homeowner's insurance arm works as an agency, it seeks the most affordable insurance available through its partner companies. It's helpful to remember that GEICO’s homeowner's insurance coverage is underwritten by its unaffiliated insurers. The policy, rates, discounts available, and payment plans can differ depending on factors such as what coverage you choose and where you live. It's relatively easy to obtain a policy through GEICO's website and the company's presence in all 50 states makes it a convenient choice for everyone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is GEICO cheaper than other insurance?
GEICO is cheaper than many other insurance policies. You can get better prices by taking advantage of GEICO's discounts, which you can do by bundling insurance and installing home security and smoke alarms.
Does GEICO underwrite homeowners' insurance?
No, GEICO partners with other companies that offer home insurance and does not underwrite homeowners' insurance themselves.
Does GEICO have the highest customer satisfaction for home insurance companies?
GEICO's customer service is available 24/7. It doesn't have the highest customer ratings and is closer to an average score than a high score.
How does GEICO compare to Progressive?
GEICO and Progressive both offer good options when it comes to homeowners' insurance. You can compare both companies in our comparison of the two companies.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of homeowner's insurance providers. We reviewed each insurance provider's coverage options, discounts available, customer service, and satisfaction to ensure that our content helps users make the right insurance decision for their needs.