The Hanover Insurance Group offers auto insurance and other insurance products in a large swath of the country, but their median annual premiums are much higher than the competition. Consider this provider for your auto insurance needs if you live in one of the states they service, but only if you can qualify for enough discounts to make your premiums affordable.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
Fewer consumer complaints than average based on their market share
Plenty of flexible coverage options to consider
Excellent customer reviews found online
Only available in 27 states and Washington D.C.
Below average ratings for customer service
You have to speak with an agent to get a quote
- The Hanover Insurance Group offers auto insurance, homeowners insurance, and other products through a network of independent agents in 27 different states and Washington D.C.
- In our internal study of car insurance providers, median annual premiums for car insurance from this company were much more expensive than the competition.
- The Hanover Insurance Group offers a range of auto insurance coverage options, and you can tailor your policy to your needs.
- This company also offers special features and savings for their customers, including a deductible dividends program that sees your deductible drop by up to $500 with at least five years of clean driving history.
- Year Founded 1852
- Types of Coverage Auto, homeowners, renters, umbrella insurance, and more
- Available Discounts 6
- Purchasing Options Phone, mail
- Customer Service Phone: 1-800-922-8427
- Official Website Hanover.com
- Fewer consumer complaints than average based on their market share: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) compiles consumer insurance complaints in one place, and this company boasts a below-average number of complaints based on their market share.
- Plenty of flexible coverage options to consider: The Hanover Insurance Group offers a broad range of insurance options you can use to tailor your policy to your needs.
- Excellent customer reviews found online: Trustpilot currently features more than 1,700 user reviews from this insurance company, which boasts an average star rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
- Only available in 27 states and Washington D.C.: The Hanover Insurance Group does not offer car insurance in every state, so you'll have to consider other providers if you live outside their coverage area.
- Below average ratings for customer service: This company scored a below-average rating in the one region of the United States it was profiled within J.D. Power's 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study.
- You have to speak with an agent to get a quote: The Hanover Insurance Group doesn't make it possible to get a free auto insurance quote online.
Founded in 1852, this insurance provider got its start as a fire insurance company. Since then, the Hanover Insurance Group has grown to offer auto insurance, homeowners insurance, umbrella insurance, watercraft coverage, and more in 27 different states and Washington, D.C. The Hanover Insurance Group also boasts an A rating for its financial strength from AM Best.
When it comes to their auto insurance coverage options, The Hanover Insurance Group offers all the insurance coverage choices you would expect. Available coverages include liability coverage, comprehensive and collision coverage, as well as add-ons like roadside assistance, new car replacement coverage, and original equipment replacement coverage.
This provider also offers a premium auto insurance plan known as Hanover Prestige Auto. This superior coverage option includes extra perks such as premium rental car coverage, full replacement cost coverage, and more. Customers can also choose to bundle their homeowners and auto insurance coverage within a Hanover Platinum plan, which includes upgraded coverage options for high-value autos and residences.
With all this being said, it's important to make sure you're not overpaying for auto insurance premiums. Unfortunately, this provider had some of the highest annual median premiums among all car insurance companies in our internal study.
To determine how much you would pay for insurance with The Hanover, you'll need to speak with an agent to get a quote. First, you should read on to learn more about the coverages they offer and potential discounts you can qualify for.
The Hanover Insurance Group has been in operation for well over 100 years, and they boast excellent user reviews on websites like Trustpilot. In addition to auto insurance, The Hanover Insurance Group also offers homeowners insurance, renters insurance, umbrella insurance, and more.
Unlike some other insurance companies who have moved most of their business online, The Hanover Insurance Group still sells policies directly through independent agents. This can be a major benefit if you want a personalized experience, although it also makes it harder to compare this provider based on pricing since you need to work with an agent to get a free quote.
Types of Coverage
The Hanover Insurance Group offers a broad range of auto insurance coverage options, including the following:
- Bodily injury liability: This coverage can protect you financially if you're in an accident that results in bodily injury or even death.
- Collision coverage: This type of auto coverage pays to fix your car after an accident if you are at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This coverage can help repair your car if there is damage resulting from an occurrence other than an accident with another car. For example, comprehensive insurance can pay for hail damage, vandalism, and more.
- Gap insurance: Gap insurance coverage helps fill in the "gap" if your car is a total loss after an accident and you owe more than it's worth.
- Medical payments coverage: This coverage can provide financial assistance to non-household members injured during an accident with the insured.
- Newer car replacement coverage: If your car is a total loss after an accident, this coverage will pay the actual cash value of your same car one year newer, minus your deductible.
- Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts: This coverage option ensures you get original replacement parts for your vehicle if it's being repaired after an accident or collision.
- Roadside assistance: Customers can also add roadside assistance to their policies, including access to roadside help 24 hours a day and seven days a week.
- Transportation expense coverage: This protection can pay for rental car expenses while your car is being repaired after a covered loss.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage: This type of auto protection can protect you financially if you're in an accident with a driver with no insurance or inadequate insurance.
In addition to the coverage options we explain above, this company also offers an upgraded auto insurance product known as Hanover Prestige. With this added value plan, customers get upgraded rental car coverage, a basic travel insurance benefit, original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts during repairs, and new car extender coverage.
The Hanover Insurance Group does not offer rideshare insurance. If you drive for Uber or Lyft or plan to in the future and want access to extra protection when you need it, you'll want to look at other car insurance providers.
The Hanover Insurance Group offers quite a few ways to save money on your premiums, and you may be able to stack multiple discounts on your policy. Advertised savings and discounts from this company include:
- Paid-in-full discount: This discount lets you secure lower premiums when you pay for your policy upfront instead of monthly.
- Anti-theft devices discounts: Save money on car insurance if you install eligible anti-theft devices on your car.
- Multi-car discount: You can pay lower premiums overall if you insure multiple vehicles with The Hanover Insurance Group.
- Accident prevention courses discount: Qualify for lower premiums if you have taken an eligible defensive driving course.
- Good student discount: Students who can prove good grades or a high GPA may qualify for a discount on their premiums.
- Student away at school discount: If your kid is away at college and they leave their car at home, you could secure a discount on your policy.
The Hanover Insurance Group also offers an accident forgiveness benefit that goes into effect after being insured for three years without any accidents or violations. You could qualify for this program even if you had car insurance with another insurance provider.
The Hanover Insurance Group makes it easy to pay your bill, and that's true whether you want to pay manually each month or set up automatic payments. Ways you can pay your auto insurance premiums include:
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
- Online payments with a check, debit card, or credit card
- Pay by phone with a check, debit card, or credit card
- Mail in a check or money order
If you decide to pay your car insurance premiums with a credit card, it's worth noting that this provider accepts American Express, MasterCard, Discover, and Visa.
The Hanover Insurance Group features a loss ratio of 67.01%, which is fairly average among the auto insurance companies we profiled. This loss ratio led this provider to receive a rating of 3 out of 5 in our internal study.
Quite a few insurance providers scored better in this category, including Berkshire Hathaway, State Farm, Erie Insurance, and American Family Insurance.
The Hanover Insurance Group boasts a unique program known as deductible dividends, which aims to reward its customers for maintaining safe driving habits. With this program, your auto insurance deductible can drop by $100 for avoiding accidents and violations each year.
The Hanover Insurance Group sells its policies directly through a network of independent agents, which can be a major plus if you like working with someone to build your insurance plan.
When it comes to their customer service options, The Hanover Insurance Group does offer an online portal where you can oversee your policies, start or monitor claims, pay your bill, and more. The company also offers a mobile app with similar features and functionality.
Unfortunately, The Hanover Mobile app has very questionable ratings, including an average star rating of 2.5 out of 5 stars in the App Store and 2.8 out of 5 stars in Google Play.
The Hanover Insurance Group does not list customer service hours online, but you can contact them about auto insurance at 800-922-8427.
The Hanover Insurance Group did not score well for customer service in J.D. Power's 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study. In fact, The Hanover Insurance Group received a score of 836 out of 1,000 points in the North Central region, where it was profiled. By comparison, the region's average score was 839.
With that being said, the company seems to get excellent reviews from actual customers. On Trustpilot, more than 1,700 reviewers gave the company an average star rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
The Hanover Insurance Group also has an A rating for its financial strength from AM Best, which bodes well for its ability to pay claims.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) maintains a database of insurance company complaints across the industry. This database makes it easy to compare complaints across multiple providers.
Each insurance company is assigned a complaint ratio based on their reporting, which represents the number of complaints received the previous year compared to its market share.
Complaint ratios of 1.0 are considered average. Companies with scores above 1.0 received more complaints than average, while companies with scores below 1.0 received fewer than average. In 2020, the complaint ratio for this provider was 0.81, or below average for their market share.
We already mentioned how customers can keep track of their account details, claims, and insurance bills through the company's online platform or their mobile app. Since customers also have access to an agent, they can reach out for personalized help or questions about claims, billing, and more.
How The Hanover Insurance Group Compares to Other Auto Insurance Companies
Purchasing auto insurance is an important part of your financial plan, and that's especially true when you have assets to protect. On the flip side, having insufficient insurance coverage can expose you to financial losses if you're in an accident that results in major injuries or even death.
With that being said, it's also crucial to make sure you're paying fair premiums for the amount of auto coverage you have and that you're not overpaying.
To help you compare options based on cost, we looked at the median annual premiums of top car insurance companies, including The Hanover Insurance Group.
Based on our study, median annual premiums for The Hanover Insurance Group worked out to $5,457, which is the highest of all companies we profiled. Many competing auto insurance companies featured median annual premiums that came in at less than half this cost, including Allstate ($1,674), Nationwide ($1,511), Amica Mutual ($2,374), and more.
Ultimately though, you will need to get a quote from The Hanover to see where your premiums fall on the spectrum. You may be asked to pay more or less for the coverage you want, but you won't know unless you speak with an agent to inquire.
The Hanover Insurance Group offers quite a few auto coverage options to choose from, although the fact they're only available in 27 states and Washington D.C. means not everyone can use this provider. Their high median annual premiums and lower-than-average ratings from third parties like J.D. Power make them less attractive than some other insurers.
However, this company still uses insurance agents, which can be a major boon if you want the full agent experience to build out your policy.
All of our reviews of auto insurance companies are based on extensive research and analysis of each company’s coverage, customer service, pricing, years in business, accreditation, and more. To rate Hanover Insurance Group and other providers, we developed an auto insurance review methodology that compares the auto insurance coverage types, additional features, discounts, account management, and reported customer experiences to help us provide insights into things like customer service and the strength of each company’s offerings.
National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Hanover Insurance Co. National Complaint Index Report." Accessed Nov. 26, 2021.
Trustpilot. "The Hanover Insurance Group." Accessed Nov. 26, 2021.
J.D. Power. "J.D. Power's 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study." Accessed Nov. 26, 2021.
The Hanover Insurance Group. "Our History." Accessed Nov. 26, 2021.
Yahoo. "AM Best Affirms Credit Ratings of The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. and Its Subsidiaries." Accessed Nov. 26, 2021.
The Hanover Insurance Group. "Hanover Prestige." Accessed Nov. 26, 2021.
The Hanover Insurance Group. "Hanover Platinum." Accessed Nov. 26, 2021.
NAIC. "NAIC Market Share Reports 2018-2020." Accessed Nov. 26, 2021.
Google Play. "Hanover Mobile." Accessed Nov. 26, 2021.
App Store. "Hanover Mobile." Accessed Nov. 26, 2021.