As a buy now, pay later (BNPL) app, Klarna makes it easy for customers to use their service with over 200,000 participating retailers and the ability to create virtual card numbers to make purchases everywhere else. If you need more time than traditional Pay in 4 loans allow, it also offers longer-term loans so you can make your purchases and stay within your budget.
- Pros and Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
No interest on Pay in 4 financing
Offers multiple ways to finance purchases
Create virtual card numbers for other stores
Set price alerts in the app on your saved items
Requires a soft credit check
May report missed payments to credit bureaus
Charges late fees
- Klarna is available at over 200,000 retailers
- Purchases earn rewards through its Vibe rewards club
- Can share wish list with family and friends for gift ideas
- Pay in 30 program allows an interest-free trial of items
Klarna is a private company that was founded in Sweden in 2005. It has attracted numerous rounds of investor capital, with one of the latest being a $650 million round of funding in September 2020. At the time, this round of funding made it the highest-valued private fintech company in Europe and the fourth-highest in the world.
There are over 90 million active users and 250,000 merchants across 17 countries. When customers shop online or through the app, they have multiple financing options to choose from. The first is the traditional buy now, pay later format of Pay in 4, which requires 25% down immediately and three equal payments every two weeks to pay off the rest. Customers may also choose Pay in 30 interest-free financing or term loans ranging from six to 36 months.
- Credit Limit Varies per customer
- Amount Due at Purchase Varies by loan type
- Repayment Terms Varies by loan type
- Interest None
- Credit Check Required Pay-in-4: Soft credit check; Pay in 30 days: Soft credit check; Six to 36 mos: Hard credit inquiry
- Minimum Credit Score Not available
- Late Fees Pay-in-4: $7; Pay in 30 days: $7; Six to 36 mos: $35
- Other Financing Products Pay in 30 days with no interest; Six to 36-month financing; Virtual card numbers
- Company Website www.klarna.com
Customers who want multiple options for BNPL should consider Klarna. This app offers Pay in 4 financing with no interest or fees, as long as you pay on time, while also offering loans up to 36 months when you need extra time to pay off your purchase. While there is a soft credit check, your credit score will not be affected by Klarna's Pay in 4 loans as long as you make all of your payments on time.
Klarna's app allows you to create a wish list of your favorite products and will notify you if a price goes down. Customers can shop at over 200,000 retailers online or through the app and create virtual card numbers to use at other U.S.-based stores. Every purchase earns rewards through Klarna's Vibe loyalty program that can be used toward a future purchase.
- No interest on Pay in 4 financing. With Klarna's Pay in 4 financing, you will not pay any interest on your purchases. The interest-free loans make it easier for customers to spread their payments out over time without paying interest on a credit card. However, if you want to use its longer-term financing, you may be charged interest on those loans.
- Offers multiple ways to finance purchases. In addition to Pay in 4 lending, Klarna also offers interest-free Pay in 30 loans so you can try out items, return what you don't like, and pay for what you keep. It also offers longer-term loans ranging from six to 36 months that allow you to keep your monthly payments lower.
- Create virtual card numbers for other stores. You can create virtual card numbers that can be used just like a traditional credit card. Each virtual card purchase has its own payment plan that is managed online or through the Klarna app.
- Set price alerts in the app on your saved items. For items that you like, but aren't yet ready to buy, you can set price alerts in the app so that you'll be notified if they go on sale or the price drops. This feature helps you save money on the items you like the most.
- Requires a soft credit check. To open an account with Klarna, there will be a soft inquiry on your credit report. This will not affect your credit score, but it may mean that some potential customers could be declined for poor credit or a thin credit history.
- May report missed payments to credit bureaus. While Klarna does not report positive repayment of its Pay in 4 loans to the credit bureaus, if you miss payments and fall behind, it may negatively affect your credit score.
- Charges late fees. While Klarna does not charge interest on its Pay in 4 loans, it will charge late fees if you miss a payment. The late fee is relatively modest at $7 per occurrence, but the late fee increases to $35 if you take out one of its longer-term loans.
How It Works
Shopping with Klarna can be done online, through the app, and at participating stores. Your spending limit and ability to shop are determined by Klarna's soft credit inquiry, your personal information, and your Klarna purchase history.
When you make a purchase, you can choose one of three financing options: Pay in 4, Pay in 30 days, or a six- to 36-month loan. The Pay in 4 is a 0% interest option that requires a 25% down payment at the time of purchase, then three equal, biweekly payments for the balance. Pay in 30 loans give you time to try out your items, return what you don't want, and pay for the rest in one lump-sum payment. The longer-term loans require monthly payments until the balance is paid in full.
Through the mobile app, you can view your purchase history, track your shipments, and process returns.
Customers can create a wish list of items for future purchases or to share with friends and family for gift ideas. The app provides notifications if the price drops on any item on the wish list. All purchases earn rewards through the Vibe loyalty program that can be used to reduce the cost of future purchases. This is one of the few BNPL apps that offers a loyalty program that rewards customers.
Interest and Fees
Klarna does not charge interest on its Pay in 4 loans. As long as you make your payments on time, you'll never pay more than your original purchase price. If you do pay late, there is a $7 fee each time that happens. Longer terms loans have a $35 late fee assessment.
To get started with Klarna, you'll first need to download the app and create your account. During the signup process, Klarna will perform a soft credit inquiry to confirm your identity and determine your spending limit. This soft inquiry will not affect your credit score, nor will it appear on your credit report.
While setting up your account, you'll provide basic details like name, email, address, and phone number. Additionally, you'll add bank information for your payments to be withdrawn when you take out a loan.
Customers can browse and shop for items through the Klarna mobile app. It is available for both Apple and Android mobile devices. You can view your purchase history, track deliveries, view previous and upcoming payments, and make changes to your payment method.
The mobile app offers new deals every day and includes exclusive discounts for Klarna users at over 200,000 retailers. Customers can create wish lists of their favorite stores and products to save for later and share with friends and family looking for gift ideas. You'll also be alerted whenever there are discounts or price drops on your favorite items.
Save money by creating a wish list of your favorite items and be notified whenever there's a discount or price drop.
Klarna's free rewards club is called Vibe. Customers earn rewards on every purchase and unlock a $5 welcome reward when they complete their first payment.
You can use Klarna's Pay in 4 financing at other retailers, as well. Simply create a virtual card number in the Klarna app and you can spread out payment of your purchases as if you were shopping through the app.
If you have a customer service issue, there are multiple ways to contact Klarna's customer service team 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Online chat is available through the Klarna website or you can send a message through the Klarna app. You can even call customer service at 844-KLARNA1 (844-552-7621).
Klarna is rated highly on online rating websites. As you would expect, the company has its share of negative reviews and complaints, just like any other financing company. Klarna typically replies to negative reviews within two business days and has replied to almost 90% of its negative reviews.
Its app receives overwhelmingly positive reviews from both Apple and Android mobile device users. It has a rating of 4.8 stars in the Apple App Store and a 4.4 rating in the Google Play store.
Klarna makes it easy for customers to contact customer service the way they want to. Customers can chat online, send a message through the app, or call customer service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Having the ability to contact customer service at all hours of the day or night makes it easier to resolve issues and improve customer satisfaction.
In addition to Pay in 4 financing, Klarna also offers no-interest loans for 30 days and longer-term loans from six to 36 months.
The Pay in 30 loans do not charge any interest. However, full payment is due at the end of the 30 days, so you should only use this financing option if you have the money to pay off the balance in full within 30 days. These loans are best used when you want to try out several items, return the ones that you don't want, then pay for the rest. Late payments may be charged a fee of up to $35.
Customers may also finance their purchases using longer-term financing of up to 36 months. These loans range from six to 36 months and require monthly payments. The standard interest rate is 19.99% on these loans and late payments may be charged up to $35.
With multiple financing options, Klarna customers have the flexibility to pick and choose which loans work best for each purchase.
Klarna vs. Affirm
Klarna and Affirm are two of the buy now, pay later apps that offer longer-term financing on customer purchases. While Pay in 4 financing is gaining in popularity, many customers cannot afford to pay off their purchases within six weeks. Longer-term financing options up to 36 months enable customers to spread out their payments over many months so that the payment amounts are more affordable.
Affirm is the better option for shoppers because many of its loans do not require a down payment, and shoppers may qualify for 0% financing over longer repayment periods than what is offered by Klarna. Affirm customers may also use The Affirm Card (when it is released) to split repayment of purchases over $100 into four easy installments.
|Amount Due at Purchase||Varies by loan type||As low as $0|
|Repayment Terms||Pay in 4: 25% every 2 weeks
Pay in 30: Due in full within 30 days
Six to 36 months: Equal monthly payments
|Varies by loan type|
|Interest||None||0% or 10% to 30%|
|Credit Check Required||Pay in 4: Soft credit check
Pay in 30: Soft credit check
Six to 36 months: Hard credit inquiry
|Varies by loan type|
|Minimum Credit Score||Not available||Not available|
|Late Fees||Pay in 4: $7
Pay in 30: $7
Six to 36 months: $35
|Other Financing Products||Pay in 30 days with no interest
Six- to 36-month financing
Virtual card numbers
|Virtual card numbers
The Affirm Card
Affirm Savings Account
Klarna offers attractive buy now, pay later financing for its customers. It charges no interest or fees on its Pay in 4 loans as long as all payments are made on time. Plus, it offers other payment options if you need more time to pay your balance in full. Customers can shop online, through its app, or in-person with a virtual card number at participating retailers.
The company does require a soft credit inquiry, but this will not affect your credit. It does not report to the credit bureaus as long as your account is in good standing. Because Klarna performs a soft credit inquiry, potential customers with bad credit or limited credit history may not get approved.
We researched publicly available information about the Klarna buy now, pay later app from its website, mobile apps, and other relevant sources. Data points on interest rates and fees, credit limits, repayment terms, credit requirements, app features, and more were gathered to write this review. Our review focuses on the features we consider most important to potential users as they consider BNPL services to finance their purchases. This information is updated regularly to ensure that readers can make an informed decision when financing their purchases.