The Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard is not one of our top-rated rewards credit cards. You can review our list of the best rewards credit cards for what we think are better options.
Full Review of Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard
Discount on on gas
Redeem points for groceries
No annual fee
Limited redemption options
Points value isn't great
- Discount on Gas: The Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard can get you a break on gasoline. Every 100 points you earn with the card can be redeemed for 55 cents off per gallon at Kroger fuel centers during your first year as a cardholder.
- Redeem Points for Groceries: For every 1,000 points you earn, you receive a $5 rewards certificate that can be applied to grocery purchases at Kroger or Kroger Family of Companies stores, listed below.
- No Annual Fee: Unlike some other cards, the Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard doesn’t have an annual fee to worry about.
- Limited Redemption Options: This card doesn't have the typical rewards redemption structure, where you can redeem points for things like statement credit, cash back, or gift cards. Instead, every 1,000 points you earn is redeemable for a $5 rewards certificate you can use at Kroger or Kroger Family of Companies stores. That's a downside if you're looking for more flexibility in using your rewards.
- Points Value Isn't Great: Each point you earn with this card is valued at 0.5 cents, which is below what you could find elsewhere. There are other cash back or rewards cards that offer at least twice that.
- Rewards Expire: This card may not be a great fit if you don't always stay on top of redemptions. Points earned expire after 36 months, so there's a chance you could lose them if you don't put them to work to save money on grocery purchases. And if you do redeem points for a rewards certificate, you have 12 months to use it before it expires.
This Card is Best For
Resists or refuses an annual fee on principle or due to cost
Seeks to maximize points or miles earnings across spending categories
The Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard is designed for grocery shoppers who frequent Kroger supermarkets and other stores within the Kroger Family of Companies. Those include:
- City Market
- Food 4 Less
- Foods Co
- Fred Meyer
- Harris Teeter
- King Soopers
- Jay C Food Store
- Owens Market
- Pay-Less Super Markets
- Smith’s Food and Drug
This card could be good for someone who wants to capitalize on the introductory offer for discounted gas.
Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard Bonus
From time to time, this card features a promotional bonus offer for new cardmembers. The current offer is a discount on gas when you redeem points at Kroger fuel centers. The discount is worth 55 cents off per gallon and the promotion is good for your first year as a cardholder. Once that first year is up, you'll receive a discount of 5 cents off per gallon when you redeem points and pay with your Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard.
Note that you do not earn rewards points on gas purchases when taking advantage of the discount.
Rewards Earning Details
There are three rewards earning tiers associated with this card.
First, you can earn 3 points per dollar on purchases of Kroger Family of Companies brand products. Those brands include:
- Bakery Fresh Goodness
- Bloom Haus
- Everyday Living
- HD Designs
- Home Chef
- Murray's Cheese
- Pet Pride
- Private Selection
- Simple Truth
Next, you'll earn 2 points per dollar on other purchases made at Kroger stores and Kroger Family of Companies stores, except at Kroger fuel centers.
Finally, you'll earn 1 point per dollar on all other purchases anywhere Mastercard is accepted. That means you could use the card to charge purchases at other grocery stores or for online shopping, travel, or just about anything.
All the points you earn at each tier are unlimited, so the more you spend, the more you earn.
Rewards Redemption Details
The Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard gives you just one way to redeem points. Every 1,000 points you earn is automatically converted to a $5 1-2-3 REWARDS certificate.
These certificates are issued periodically and no less than four times per year. If you have any remaining points earned in that period they will rollover to the next one.
Rewards certificates can be redeemed at Kroger or Kroger Family of Companies stores. They have no cash value and you won’t be refunded any cash if you don't use up all of a rewards certificate on purchases.
How to Maximize Your Rewards
Here are scenarios demonstrating what you might earn with this card:
Let's assume you spend the following each month with your card:
- $250 on Kroger Family of Companies brand products
- $500 at Kroger and Kroger Family of Companies locations
- $1,500 on all other purchases
At the end of three months, you'll have earned a total of 9,750 rewards points, which would be worth $45 in redemption value, with some points left over. Spend that same amount each quarter and you'd earn $180 toward Kroger purchases each year.
Now, let's assume you rely on this card for everything and your monthly spending looks more like this:
- $500 on Kroger Family of Companies brand products
- $1,000 at Kroger and Kroger Family of Companies locations
- $3,500 everywhere else
You'd earn 21,000 rewards points each quarter, which would be worth $105 in redemption value. Annually, you'd earn $420 in rewards.
Since this is a Mastercard, it comes with these standard perks:
- Travel assistance services
- Mastercard Global Service
- Identity theft resolution services
- Cell phone protection, subject to restrictions and deductible
The Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard is issued by U.S. Bank. In the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study, U.S. Bank ranked 10th out of 11 national card issuers and scored well below average.
Customer service is available via secure messaging when you log into your online account. You can also get help by phone 24 hours a day at 844-237-0593.
This card has the basic security features you'd expect with a rewards card. That includes chip technology and a $0 fraud liability guarantee if your card is lost or stolen.
Fees to Watch Out For
There are no particular fees to watch out, and no annual fee. Paying late or having a payment returned could result in a penalty, but those are similar to what you might be charged with other rewards cards.
The Kroger REWARDS World Mastercard could be a good choice if you mainly shop at Kroger and Kroger Family of Companies stores and are satisfied to use your rewards at those locations. The first-year discount on gas is also a money-saving benefit that might tempt you to sign up.
This card falls short, however, when it comes to points value and redemption options. A regular cash back card that offers bonus rewards on groceries, such as the American Express Blue Cash Everyday or Blue Cash Preferred, could yield more benefits. These cards allow you to earn more cash back at supermarkets besides Kroger (though subject to a $6,000 yearly cap in grocery spending) and also give you more ways to redeem your rewards.