Headquartered in Boston, Mass., Liberty Mutual has grown from a company that provided workers comp insurance in 1912 to offering solutions to a variety of today's insurance needs, including homeowners insurance. In fact, Liberty Mutual is the third-largest provider of property and casualty insurance in the U.S. The company has a presence in 29 countries and economies worldwide and employs more than 45,000 people.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
Multiple options to reach customer service or a claims representative
Plenty of discounts for policy premiums
Online quotes not always available
Low customer satisfaction rating
- Liberty Mutual offers 11 different discounts to help you lower your homeowners insurance premiums.
- Homeowners have multiple ways to contact customer service, including online, by phone, or via Liberty Mutual’s mobile app.
- The insurer has low customer satisfaction ratings, with a higher-than-average number of complaints compared with industry standards.
- Year Founded 1912
- Official Website www.libertymutual.com
- Insurance Offered Auto, homeowners, life, renters, motorcycle, pet, recreational vehicle, and more
- Customer Service 24/7 phone: 1-844-629-8979; secure messaging via mobile app or online
- Multiple options to reach customer service or a claims representative: Policyholders can speak with a representative by logging into their account online, via Liberty Mutual’s mobile app, or by calling the 24/7 hotline.
- Plenty of discounts for policy premiums: Homeowners are eligible for a number of discounts, including some that may not be offered elsewhere.
- Nationwide coverage: Liberty Mutual home insurance policies are available in all 50 states, so you’ll be covered no matter where you live.
- Online quotes not always available: Depending on where you live, you may have to contact a Liberty Mutual representative by calling its customer service hotline.
- Low customer satisfaction rating: Liberty Mutual’s national complaint index as determined by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) is currently almost four times worse than the average industry score. It could suggest less-than-desirable customer service experiences from current policyholders.
Liberty Mutual Standard Home Insurance Coverage Plan
Liberty Mutual is the direct underwriter of its homeowners insurance policies, but those policies can vary depending on your state. Its standard homeowners insurance policy generally includes the following coverage:
Liberty Mutual will provide coverage for your home’s physical structure as well as on your detached property, such as fences, driveways, and sheds. Damage to your home due to severe weather, fire, water (some exclusions may apply), theft, and vandalism will be taken care of by the insurer, whether it’s replacing or repairing damaged structures in question.
Wind and Hail Coverage
This portion of standard coverage will protect your home from damages caused by wind and hail—not general weather damage. Depending on your state, homeowners may be required to have a separate deductible in their policy.
Personal Property Coverage
If your personal items, such as rugs, furniture, and electronics, are damaged due to a covered loss or theft, Liberty will pay out the actual cash value of the property. Limits to the coverage amount can vary depending on your state.
Personal Liability Protection
Coverage will be provided to homeowners who have accidentally damaged someone else’s property (for instance, if a tree in your yard toppled and fell on your neighbor’s fence) or are sued in certain situations. This may include costs to cover repairs of the damaged item or legal payments.
Medical Payments to Others
In the event someone is injured on or around your property, your policy will cover that person’s medical bills, up to a certain amount.
Homeowners who have been displaced from their homes may be provided coverage for any necessary increases in living expenses. Covered incidents include damage due to tornadoes, fire, and floods, as well as when local authorities restrict you from entering your home or neighborhood because of severe hazards or weather. Costs Liberty Mutual will pay for include any necessary increase in living expenses, such as the cost of takeout or restaurant meals if your kitchen was destroyed, or hotel stays if your entire home is deemed uninhabitable.
Policy premiums may vary depending on the insurance company and other factors. Liberty Mutual home insurance rates are largely affected by:
- Location: Factors such as construction costs and risks due to extreme weather and crime rate will affect how much you’ll pay.
- Age and Condition of Home: The insurer will look at factors such as the type of building materials, the furnace’s condition, and whether building materials for older homes are still available.
- Estimated Replacement Cost: Materials, labor, availability of building materials, and inflation are factored into how much it might cost to rebuild your home. The more materials and labor cost, the more likely you’ll be charged a higher premium.
- Presence of Safety Devices: Items such as burglar alarms, deadbolt locks, smoke detectors, and other types of home safety equipment may help lower costs.
- Your Deductible: The lower your deductible, the higher your premium.
Liberty Mutual Home Insurance Discounts
Liberty Mutual has 11 different ways to help you lower your premiums:
- Claims-Free Discount: Homeowners who haven’t filed a claim in the past five years or more with their previous insurer are eligible for a lower premium.
- Early Shopper Discount: Receive a quote before your current policy expires and you’ll receive some savings.
- Safe Homeowner Program Discount: Liberty Mutual policyholders who have been claims-free for three years may save on their rate
- Newly Purchased Home Discount: New homeowners may find some relief with a discount from Liberty Mutual.
- New or Renovated Home Discount: Homes that are newly built or renovated significantly qualify for savings.
- New Roof Discount: In addition to being an investment, a new roof equals savings on your homeowners insurance premiums.
- Multiple Policy Discount: Bundle multiple insurance policies to lower your premiums. The more you bundle, the more you may save.
- Insured to Value Discount: Homeowners will see savings if they insure up to 100% of how much it costs to replace their home.
- Preferred Payment Discount: Enroll in automatic payments and receive a discount.
- Paperless Policy Discount: Lower your premiums by opting to receive communications electronically.
- Protective Devices Discount: Homes that have items such as burglar alarms and smoke detectors are entitled to savings.
Liberty Mutual Home Insurance Availability
Liberty Mutual’s homeowners insurance policies are available throughout the U.S. However, certain coverage options, discounts, and other features may not be available in all states.
Liberty Mutual Customer Service
Policyholders can reach Liberty Mutual’s customer service team through its app, online, or via phone at 800-225-8285. You can speak with a customer service representative to receive a quote by calling 855-914-8626 Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. ET, Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET, and Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET. You can also reach out for assistance via secure messaging online or after you log into Liberty Mutual’s mobile app. There is no live chat option, however.
How to Make a Home Insurance Claim With Liberty Mutual
Homeowners can file a home insurance claim using the following methods:
- Reach claims representatives 24/7 by calling 844-339-5299
- File a claim by filling out Liberty Mutual’s online form
- Use Liberty Mutual’s mobile app to submit a claim
You’ll receive a tracking number and instructions on the next steps after filing a claim.
Liberty Mutual Home Insurance Cancellation Policy
Liberty Mutual allows you to cancel your policy at any time, though there may be fees depending on your state. To submit a request, call customer service representatives at 800-658-9857.
Other Insurance Provided by Liberty Mutual
In addition to homeowners insurance, Liberty Mutual offers the following types of insurance:
- Auto Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Boat and Watercraft Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Renter’s Insurance
- Flood Insurance
- Small Business Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
- Recreational Vehicle (RV) Insurance
- Landlord Insurance
- Mobile Home Insurance
- Antique and Classic Car Insurance
- ATV and Off-Road Vehicle Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Identity Theft Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Tuition Insurance
Get a Liberty Mutual Homeowners Quote
Depending on location, you can receive a quote online or by calling a representative at 800-295-2820. Obtaining a quote online is as easy as filling out the application form. Details you’ll need to provide include your full name, address of the property you want to insure, and phone number.
Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance is available nationwide and has a variety of different coverage options to help protect your home. Homeowners can receive a quote online in as little as 10 minutes, making it a convenient option. Given all the discounts available, you may be able to find an affordable option depending on your qualifications.
Unfortunately, the fact that Liberty Mutual has almost four times the number of complaints than the industry standard raises concerns. Some homeowners may consider the lower-than-average customer service score a reason to look elsewhere for their insurance.
Compare Other Home Insurance Reviews
Even though Liberty Mutual provides plenty of ways to receive discounts and is available nationwide, that doesn’t mean it’ll be the best fit for your insurance needs. Having the right amount of coverage is crucial, so be sure to shop around and compare multiple home insurance policies before making your final decision.
Investopedia is dedicated to furnishing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of homeowners insurance providers. We reviewed each company’s coverage options, available discounts, customer service, and satisfaction ratings to ensure that our content helps you make the right insurance decision for your needs.
National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Liberty Mut Ins Co National Complaint Index Report." Accessed August 29, 2020.