The Macy's American Express Card is not one of our top-rated rewards credit cards. You can review our list of the best rewards credit cards for what we think are better options.
Full Review of Macy's American Express® Card
Two-day coupon for new cardholders
Higher rewards rate at restaurants, supermarkets, and gas stations
Travel and shopping benefits
Subpar rewards at Macy’s until Gold level
Confusing application process
Rewards expire after 30 days
Macy's was founded in 1858 and is headquartered in New York, NY. Macy's Inc. owns Macy's, Bloomingdales, and Bluemercury. It employs approximately 90,000 individuals. To provide anytime shopping via any channel that a customer prefers, Macy's focuses on providing successful e-commerce and mobile experiences as well as its in-store shopping across the U.S.
- Two-Day Coupon for New Cardholders: If you apply for the Macy's American Express® card and are approved, you'll get a 20% off coupon to use at Macy's, Macy's Backstage, or macys.com from the day you're approved through the next day. The coupon can save you up to $100. It can be a welcome benefit if you're planning an expensive purchase, like a new suit or handbag.
- Higher Rewards Rate at Restaurants, Supermarkets, and Gas Stations: You can earn 3 points per $1 spent at U.S. restaurants, 2 points per $1 spent at U.S. gas stations and U.S. supermarkets, and 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else besides Macy's. Cardholders will earn 2% back in rewards at Macy's until they reach a higher earning tier.
- Travel and Shopping Benefits: As a cardholder, you'll get access to extra travel benefits, including up to 10% off Delta Airlines flights, up to 25% off qualifying car rentals, and hotel discounts. You'll also have Entertainment Access, where you can buy tickets to major events before the general public. Depending on how much money you spend at Macy's, you'll also qualify for these shopping benefits:
- $1 to $499 annual spend: Silver rewards status gives you a 25% off Star Pass, along with special sales and a "birthday surprise." Cardholders are automatically granted Silver status.
- $500 to $1,199 annual spend: Gold rewards status gets you all the perks of the Silver level, plus free shipping. You'll also earn 3% back in rewards when using your Macy's card.
- $1,200+ annual spend: Platinum rewards status gives you all the perks of Gold level, and you'll also earn 5% in rewards on Macy's purchases.
- Subpar Rewards at Macy's Until Gold Level: Despite being called the Macy's American Express® card, this credit card doesn't offer much in the way of rewards for shopping at Macy's unless cardholders reach Gold status by spending at least $500 a year there. You'll still earn 3 points per $1 spent at restaurants, 2 points per $1 spent at gas stations and supermarkets, and 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else. If you attain Platinum status, your Macy's purchases will earn 5 points per dollar.
- Confusing Application Process: The application process for the Macy's American Express® Card can be confusing. When you submit your application, you're considered for both the Macy's American Express® card and the Macy's credit card, a store card that can only be used at Macy's. If your credit is good enough, you'll be approved for both cards, and you can choose which one you want. However, if your credit isn't good enough to qualify for the American Express card, you may still be approved for the Macy's credit card.
- Rewards Expire After 30 Days: When you earn rewards, you have to use them quickly. Once you accumulate 1,000 points, you'll receive $10 in Star Money rewards, which you can use in-store at Macy's or online at Macys.com. However, your Star Money rewards expire 30 days after they're issued.
While Star Money rewards expire after 30 days, Star Rewards points only expire if your card account is closed or you fail to make a qualifying purchase using your card or rewards at Macy's within a 12-month period.
Expiring rewards is a major drawback. With many other rewards credit cards, points never expire, and you can redeem them at any time. For example, the Discover it Cash Back card offers 5% cash back at different places each quarter, up to a quarterly maximum, and 1% cash back on all other purchases. Your cash-back rewards never expire, and you can redeem your rewards when you've accumulated as little as $0.01 worth.
This Card is Best For
Resists or refuses an annual fee on principle or due to cost
Seeks to maximize points or miles earnings across spending categories
The Macy's American Express® card is best suited for Macy's devotees who regularly shop at the store and spend at least $1,200 per year there.
With this card, you'll earn a higher rewards rate at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, and U.S. supermarkets. And, if you become a Platinum level member by spending $1,200 per year at Macy's, you'll get extra perks like 5% back in rewards on Macy's purchases, free shipping, and special discounts.
This card also gives you access to travel benefits that can help you save money, such as discounts on hotels and cruises.
Macy's American Express® Card Bonus
With most credit cards that offer a bonus, you have to spend a certain amount within the first few months of opening an account to qualify. The Macy's American Express® card works differently. When you're approved for the card, you'll get a coupon for 20% off at Macy's that must be used within the first two days of your account opening. It's worth up to $100 in savings. While that's a decent bonus for a card with no annual fee, other cards offer more generous bonuses and give you more time to spend them.
For example, the Quicksilver card from Capital One offers a $200 cash bonus if you spend $500 on purchases within the first three months of opening an account. The card has no annual fee, and you'll earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase.
Rewards Earning Details
As a Macy's American Express® cardholder, you'll earn the following rewards:
- 3 points per $1 spent at restaurants
- 2 points per $1 spent at gas stations and supermarkets
- 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases, outside of Macy's
If you spend $1,200 or more per year at Macy's and become a Platinum level member, you'll also earn 5 points per $1 spent at Macy's, Macy's Backstage, and Macys.com.
Rewards Redemption Details
With the Macys American Express® card, there's only one redemption method: Star Money. When you have accumulated 1,000 points, you'll automatically receive $10 in Star Money. You can use your Star Money rewards at Macy’s stores, Macy's Backstage, or at Macys.com. Star Money rewards can't be used to purchase gift cards or Beauty Box subscriptions. Nor can they be used at restaurants located inside a Macy’s store.
Star Money rewards expire 30 days after they’re issued. If your credit card account is closed, or if you fail to make a qualifying purchase with your card for 12 months, you’ll lose your Star Rewards points.
How to Maximize Your Rewards
If you want to get the most value from this card, you should aim to spend at least $1,200 per year at Macy's so you can reach Platinum status and earn 5 points per $1 spent on your Macy's purchases.
The card offers 3 points per $1 spent at restaurants, which is a fairly high rate of return. You'll also earn 2 points per $1 spent at gas stations and supermarkets. So use the card whenever you dine out, grocery shop, or fill up your car to earn more points for your routine expenses.
Macy's American Express® Card's Outstanding Benefits
- Up to $150 back on Celebrity Cruises
- Discounts on select hotels
- Up to $100 back on RV rentals through Cruise America
- Entertainment Access for advance ticket sales
The Macy's American Express® card is issued by Department Stores National Bank, an affiliate of Citibank. Department Stores National Bank, which also issues Bloomingdale's American Express card, is not rated in J.D. Power's 2021 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study. Citibank scored 805 out of 1,000 in that study, compared with the national average of 809.
The Macy's credit card customer service team can be reached by calling 888-257-6757. An automated system is available 24 hours a day. However, customer support is only available to answer questions Monday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST.
If you have a problem with your account after hours, you may find the limited customer support frustrating. That's a big difference compared to most major credit cards, which offer 24-hour support.
The card has standard security features, such as liability protection and chip technology.
If you spend a significant amount of money at Macy's—$1,200 or more per year—you may find the Macy's American Express® card valuable. When you reach Platinum level, you'll receive 5 points per $1 spent at Macy's, along with the card's regular higher rewards rates at restaurants, gas stations, and supermarkets. The card also offers extra perks like special discounts, free shipping for select cardholders, and travel benefits. Plus, it has no annual fee.
However, this card won't be as useful if you spend less than $1,200 a year at Macy's. If you don't meet that threshold, you will earn rewards points at a lower percentage on your Macy's purchases. And, the Star Money rewards expire 30 days after being issued.
Is Macy's Credit Card American Express?
Macy's offers two credit cards. The Macy's credit card is a store card that one can only use for purchases at Macy's. The Macy's American Express credit card can be used at Macy's and anywhere else the American Express card is accepted.
How Does a Macy's American Express Card Compare to a Macy's Store Card?
Both cards participate in the Macy's Star Rewards loyalty program that earns you rewards by shopping at Macy's. They both offer the 20% new account bonus (valid for two days). But the Macy's American Express card lets you earn additional reward points by spending everywhere else—at restaurants, gas stations, supermarkets, and other establishments. Plus you get special discounts and travel/entertainment bonuses that only American Express offers.
What Credit Score Do You Need for a Macy's American Express?
You need a score of 670 to 850, which is Good to Excellent. Bear in mind that information you provide on your application is also considered.
Should You Get a Macy's American Express Card?
As long as you have good to excellent credit and you love shopping frequently at Macy's, then the card is worth considering. It has no annual fee, solid rewards, and attractive special offers.