Founded in 1999, NBKC Bank is known for its mortgage lending services and competitive rates on deposit accounts. Based in Kansas City, Missouri, it also has a large network of 32,000 ATMs in the U.S.
- Pros & Cons
- Company Overview
Maintenance fee-free deposit accounts
Up to $12 a month in ATM fees reimbursed
Competitive interest rates on deposit accounts
Limited brick-and-mortar locations
High early withdrawal penalties for CDs
- Year Founded 1999
- Official Website www.nbkc.com
- Banking Products Offered Checking, MMA, CDs, credit cards
- Customer Service Phone line: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (CST): numbers vary by department.
- Maintenance-fee-free deposit accounts: NBKC Bank's two deposit accounts are, for the most part, lacking common fees. There are no monthly account fees, or fees for insufficient funds, returned items, and stop payment orders. The is also no minimum balance requirement. It does, however, charge fees for most wire transfers.
- Up to $12 a month in ATM fees reimbursed: The bank doesn’t charge ATM fees. An attractive perk is that account holders are reimbursed up to $12 a month for out-of-network ATM fees.
- Competitive interest rates on deposit accounts: NBKC Bank’s checking account offers a competitive interest rate of 0.80%. While NBKC doesn’t currently offer a dedicated savings account, its money market account boasts a 0.25% annual percentage yield (APY).
- Limited brick-and-mortar locations: NBKC Bank only has four locations and they’re all in the Kansas City, Missouri area. If you’re looking for a bank with a large physical footprint, you might want to consider a different financial institution.
- High early withdrawal penalties for CDs: While certificates of deposits (CDs) typically have early withdrawal penalties, they are a bit steeper than average at NBKC.
Who Is NBKC Bank Best For?
NBKC Bank is a solid choice that, for the most part, offers fee-free checking and money market accounts. It’s particularly worth considering if you:
- Are comfortable with banking online
- Don’t need to visit a physical branch
- Don’t want to worry about maintaining account minimums
- Are looking for a low-cost bank account with strong customer service
What Does NBKC Offer?
- Checking account
- Money market account
- Credit cards
Known as a “personal account,” NBKC Bank’s checking account boasts a 0.25% APY, which is higher than the national average. Plus, there are no monthly account fees, overdraft fees, or charges for stopped payments or returned items. When you open an account, a book of starter checks is on them.
You can access your money with more than 32,000 ATMs in the MoneyPass network. What’s particularly nice about NBKC’s checking account is that you get up to $12 of non-network ATM fees reimbursed each month. To get started, you’ll need to deposit a minimum of $5.
NBKC does charge for outgoing domestic wire transfers, which will cost you $5. International wires cost $45 for both incoming and outgoing transfers.
Money Market Account
While NBKC doesn’t offer a savings account, you can squirrel away funds in its money market account. The $5 minimum to open an account makes it accessible and on par with a traditional savings account. The current rate is 0.25%.
NBKC’s money market account features the same benefits as its checking account—no fees for the most part. And like its checking account, it comes with a debit card and check-writing capabilities. You also get a free book of starter checks.
With an NBKC CD, you can earn a little more than putting that money into a regular checking account. CDs in general feature higher interest rates and the longer the term, the more you earn in interest. Most CDs require a minimum of $1,000 to get started.
Existing customers can make deposits in one and two-year CDs online. You can also chat with a customer service rep over the phone to make deposits in a two-year CD. For other CDs, you have to visit one of its physical branches in the Kansas City area.
In addition, If you have an existing account you have the option of investing in an NBKC CD with as little as $25. After opening an account, you link your CD to the account and auto save $25. The current rate for what the bank calls an "add-to-starter" CD as of March 2021 is 0.20% APY. You’ll need to set foot in one of its brick-and-mortar locations in Kansas City to open this particular CD.
Interest rates for CDs range between 0.10% and 0.30% and terms from three months to five years. The rates are as follows:
|NBKC Bank CD Rates|
If you decide to take money out before the CD matures, you’ll be hit with an early withdrawal fee. The early withdrawal penalty depends on the term of the CD. The longer the term, the higher the penalty. For a 12-month CD, it’s 180 days worth of interest and 365 days of interest for the two-year CD, according to a customer service representative.
You need to wait 75 days after depositing money in a CD to make an early withdrawal.
NBKC Bank has partnered with Elan Financial Services to offer a variety of personal and business credit cards, including cash-back bonus credit cards and a secured credit card:
Cash Back Credit Cards
- NBKC Visa Signature Real Rewards Card
- NBKC Premier Rewards American Express Card
- NBKC Cash Rewards American Express Card
Balance Transfer Credit Cards
- NBKC Visa Platinum Card
Credit Builder Credit Cards
- NBKC Secured Visa Card
- NBKC Visa Signature College Real Rewards Card
Business Credit Cards
- NBKC Visa Business Real Rewards Card
- NBKC Visa Business Rewards PLUS Card
- Visa Business Cash Card
- Visa Business Card
Other Financial Products Offered By NBKC Bank
NBKC also has a wide array of other offerings including:
- Mortgages refinancing
- VA mortgages
- Home equity lines of credit (HELOCs)
- Personal loans
- Car loans
- Motorcycle, RV, and boat loans
- Bridge and lot loans
- IRA CDs
- Health savings accounts (HSAs)
- Home construction loans
- Business loans
NBKC Customer Service
If you need to report a lost or stolen card, you can reach out to NBKC customer service 24/7, 365 days a year. For everything else, customer service support via phone or online chat is available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
You can also send an email with any questions.
If you live in the Kansas City area, you can stop by one of NBKC’s four physical branches. You’ll want to check its website for specific information regarding reopening during the COVID-19 pandemic and about its health guidelines for visiting a brick-and-mortar location.
How to Bank With NBKC
To open an account, you can either visit a branch or apply online. According to the bank's website, the process might take only a few minutes.
The standard requirements apply. You’ll need to be at least 18 years old, a U.S. citizen, and have a Social Security number and government-issued ID on hand. To verify your identity, NBKC does perform a soft pull on your credit when you apply.
NBKC Bank is a great option if you’re looking for a maintenance-fee-free checking or savings. There are really no hidden fees, and the $12 reimbursement of non-network ATM fees is quite generous. If you’re looking for an account to eventually stash some money in a CD, NBKC could be worth considering if you’re confident you can commit to the entire term. If you don't live in the Kansas City area and want to bank with a financial institution where you can step into a physical branch, then you might want to look elsewhere.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of banks. We collected more than 20 data points across more than 80 banks including products available, interest rates, fees, and accessibility to ensure that our content helps users make the right decision for their savings and banking needs.