We recommend the best products through an independent review process, and advertisers do not influence our picks. We may receive compensation if you visit partners we recommend. Read our advertiser disclosure for more info.
Founded in 1999, NBKC Bank is known for its mortgage lending services and competitive rates on deposit accounts. Based in Kansas City, it also has a large network of 37,000 ATMs in the U.S.
- Pros & Cons
- Company Overview
Maintenance fee-free deposit accounts
Up to $12 a month in ATM fees reimbursed
Competitive interest rates on deposit accounts
Limited brick-and-mortar locations
The site does not disclose any information about their CD products' terms and fees — all that is disclosed is the CD rates
- Year Founded 1999
- Official Website www.nbkc.com
- Banking Products Offered Checking, MMA, CDs, credit cards
- Customer Service Phone line: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (CST): numbers vary by department.
- Maintenance-fee-free deposit accounts: NBKC Bank's two deposit accounts are, for the most part, lacking common fees. There are no monthly account fees, or fees for insufficient funds, returned items, and stop payment orders. There is also no minimum balance requirement. It does, however, charge fees for most wire transfers.
- Up to $12 a month in ATM fees reimbursed: The bank doesn’t charge ATM fees. An attractive perk is that account holders are reimbursed up to $12 a month for out-of-network ATM fees.
- Competitive interest rates on deposit accounts: NBKC Bank’s checking account offers a competitive interest rate of 1.26%. While NBKC doesn’t currently offer a dedicated savings account, its money market account boasts a 1.26% annual percentage yield (APY).
- Limited brick-and-mortar locations: NBKC Bank only has four locations and they’re all in the Kansas City area. If you’re looking for a bank with a large physical footprint, you might want to consider a different financial institution.
- The site does not disclose any information about their CD products' terms and fees — all that is disclosed is the CD rates: While NBKC's website discloses information about other products' terms, fees, and features, the only information disclosed about the firm's certificate of deposits products is the rate for each term length.
Who Is NBKC Bank Best For?
NBKC Bank is a solid choice that, for the most part, offers fee-free checking and money market accounts. It’s particularly worth considering if you:
- Are comfortable with banking online
- Don’t need to visit a physical branch
- Don’t want to worry about maintaining account minimums
- Are looking for a low-cost bank account with strong customer service
What Does NBKC Offer?
- Checking account
- Money market account
- Credit cards
Known as the “Everything Account,” NBKC Bank’s checking account boasts a 1.26% APY, which is higher than the national average. Plus, there are no monthly account fees, overdraft fees, or charges for stopped payments or returned items.
You can access your money with more than 37,000 ATMs in the MoneyPass network. What’s particularly nice about NBKC’s checking account is that you get up to $12 of non-network ATM fees reimbursed each month. There is no minimum deposit.
NBKC does charge for outgoing domestic wire transfers, which will cost you $5. International wires cost $45 for both incoming and outgoing transfers.
Money Market Account
While NBKC doesn’t offer a savings account, you can squirrel away funds in its money market account. There is no minimum to open an account, which makes it accessible and on par with a traditional savings account. The current rate is 1.26%.
NBKC’s money market account features the same benefits as its checking account—no fees for the most part.
With an NBKC CD, you can earn a little more than putting that money into a regular checking account. CDs in general feature higher interest rates and the longer the term, the more you earn in interest. For shorter terms (3 month, 6 month, and 1 year), CDs require a minimum deposit of $1,000. For longer terms (2-5 years), they require a minimum deposit of $250. All standalone CDs can be opened online.
In addition, If you have an existing account you have the option of investing in an "Add-On CD" which has no minimum deposit, a rate of one year, and an APY of 0.15%. You’ll need to set foot in one of its brick-and-mortar locations in Kansas City to open this particular CD.
Interest rates for CDs range between 0.10% and 1.76% and terms from three months to five years. The rates are as follows:
|NBKC Bank CD Rates|
Besides information on rates, NBKC's site doesn't disclose any information about CDs. To understand fees, schedules, and other features for this type of product, you should contact NBKC's customer service.
NBKC Bank has partnered with Elan Financial Services to offer a variety of personal and business credit cards, including cash-back bonus credit cards and a secured credit card:
Consumer Credit Cards
- NBKC Visa Signature Real Rewards Card
- NBKC Visa Signature Max Cash Preferred Card
- NBKC Visa Platinum Card
- NBKC Secured Visa Card
- NBKC Visa Signature College Real Rewards Card
Business Credit Cards
- NBKC Visa Business Real Rewards Card
- NBKC Smart Business Rewards Visa Signature Card
- NBKC Visa Business Cash Card
- NBKC Visa Business Card
Other Financial Products Offered By NBKC Bank
NBKC also has a wide array of other offerings including:
- Mortgages refinancing
- VA mortgages
- Home equity lines of credit (HELOCs)
- Personal loans
- Car loans
- Motorcycle, RV, and boat loans
- Bridge and lot loans
- IRA CDs
- Home construction loans
- Business loans
NBKC Customer Service
If you need to report a lost or stolen card, you can reach out to NBKC customer service 24/7, 365 days a year. General account support and mortgage services support is available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST, and mobile and online banking and home loans support is available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. CST. You can also send an email with any questions.
If you live in the Kansas City area, you can stop by one of NBKC’s four physical branches.
How to Bank With NBKC
To open an account, you can either visit a branch or apply online. According to the bank's website, the process might take only a few minutes.
The standard requirements apply. You’ll need to be at least 18 years old, a U.S. citizen, and have a Social Security number and government-issued ID on hand. To verify your identity, NBKC does perform a soft pull on your credit when you apply.
NBKC Bank is a great option if you’re looking for a maintenance-fee-free checking or savings account. There are really no hidden fees, and the $12 reimbursement of non-network ATM fees is quite generous. If you’re looking for an account to eventually stash some money in a CD, NBKC could be worth considering if you’re confident you can commit to the entire term. If you don't live in the Kansas City area and want to bank with a financial institution where you can step into a physical branch, then you might want to look elsewhere.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of banks. We collected more than 20 data points across more than 80 banks including products available, interest rates, fees, and accessibility to ensure that our content helps users make the right decision for their savings and banking needs.