The NFL Extra Points Credit Card is not one of our top-rated rewards credit cards. You can review our list of the best rewards credit cards for what we think are better options.
Full Review of NFL Extra Points Credit Card
10,000-point one-time offer
Extra rewards on NFL and team purchases
Special ticket financing
Low rewards on non-NFL purchases
Redemption points minimum
Balance transfer fees
- 10,000-Point One-Time Offer: The NFL Extra Points Credit Card has a one-time offer for new cardholders. If you spend $500 or more on net purchases within the first 90 days of opening an account, you’ll receive 10,000 points. When redeemed for statement credits, bank deposits, or gift cards, 10,000 points is worth $100, so this offer represents a 20% return on your spending. For a credit card with no annual fee, that’s a generous bonus.
- Extra Rewards on NFL and Team Purchases: If you spend a significant amount of money on your football fandom, this card can help you earn extra rewards. You’ll receive 2 points per $1 on NFL, NFL team, and DirecTV purchases. On all other transactions, you’ll earn 1 point per $1.
- Special Ticket Financing: NFL tickets can be expensive. Using the NFL Extra Points Credit Card you can spread out the cost with special ticket financing. When you use the card to buy tickets from a participating NFL team ticket office, you’ll get 0% APR for six months. But after that, a variable APR of 15.99%, 20.99%, or 25.99% will apply, depending on your creditworthiness. Tickets bought through other vendors or third parties are not eligible for this financing offer.
- Low Rewards on Non-NFL Purchases: While you can earn 2 points per $1 on NFL-related purchases, you’ll only earn 1 per $1 on all other purchases. If you’re not a diehard football fan, you can probably find another card that offers higher rewards for your other purchases. For example, the Quicksilver from Capital One has no annual fee, and cardholders earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase.
- Redemption Points Minimum: To redeem your rewards, you must have accumulated at least 2,500 Extra Points at the time of redemption. Otherwise, you’re unable to use your rewards. If you’re looking for a card with more flexibility, consider the Discover it Cash Back. You can redeem your rewards for account credits, bank deposits, or to pay for purchases when you’ve accumulated as little as $0.01 in rewards.
- Balance Transfer Fees: If you plan to take advantage of the promotional balance transfer offer (0% APR for 15 months on balance transfers made within 45 days of account opening) or want to transfer a balance after the introductory APR expires, make sure you’re aware of the balance transfer fees on this card. You’ll pay either $5 or 3% of the amount of the transfer, whichever is greater. For example, if you transfer over $4,000, you’d pay $120 in balance transfer fees.
This Card is Best For
Resists or refuses an annual fee on principle or due to cost
Seeks to maximize points or miles earnings across spending categories
The NFL Extra Points Credit Card is best for diehard football fans who want to earn rewards on NFL and team purchases. If you regularly attend games or buy team merchandise, you can earn 2 points per $1 on those purchases. In addition, you’ll get 20% off every $100 you spend at NFLShop.com. Cardholders can also qualify for special ticket financing, allowing them to spread out the cost of tickets over several months.
NFL Extra Points Credit Card One-Time Offer
With the NFL Extra Points Credit Card, you can earn a 10,000-point bonus if you spend $500 on purchases within the first 90 days of opening an account, a $100 value.
Rewards Earning Details
You’ll earn the following rewards on your purchases:
- 2 points per $1 on NFL, NFL team, and DirecTV net purchases
- 1 points per $1 on all other purchases
Rewards Redemption Details
You can redeem your points for NFL and team gift cards, NFL and team experiences, NFL tickets, statement credits, and bank deposits. You must have accumulated at least 2,500 points before you can redeem your rewards. To redeem rewards, visit MyNFLCard.com.
How to Maximize Your Rewards
To get the most value from your card, use it for all your NFL and DirecTV-related purchases. For example, let’s say you’re a New England Patriots season ticket holder—paying $750 per year—and buy an adult sweatshirt for $42. If you used your card to pay for your $792 in total purchases, you’d earn 2 points per $1 of spending, or $15.84 in rewards.
NFL Extra Points Credit Card’s Outstanding Benefits
- 20% off at NFLShop.com: Use your card when you make purchases at NFLShop.com and get 20% off every $100 you spend.
- Special ticket financing: 0% promotional APR for 6 months on eligible NFL ticket purchases. After that, a variable APR of 15.99%, 20.99%, or 25.99% will apply, depending on your creditworthiness.
- Zero liability protection
- Fraud alerts
The NFL Extra Points Credit Card is issued by Barclays. In the 2019 J.D. Power Credit Card Satisfaction Study, Barclays scored 806 out of 1,000, which was also the average score of the 11 national card issuers.
Customer support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week through the Barclays app or by phone at 1-877-523-0478.
This card offers standard security features you’d expect of most credit cards, such as account monitoring and fraud alerts.
If you’re one of the millions of NFL fans in the United States, you might be thinking of signing up for the NFL Extra Points Credit Card. But while it has no annual fee, pays 2 points per $1 on NFL and NFL team purchases, and allows you to spread your payments for ticket purchases over time, its other rewards are low, and it has few additional benefits.
Other credit cards offer a higher rewards rate on every purchase you make. Over time, you’ll earn more rewards than you would with this card. And, many other cards have longer balance transfer introductory offers and lower fees.