Ohio National Life Insurance is a smaller provider that packs a mighty punch. With several convenient plans and riders, Ohio National makes it easy for you to customize exactly the right coverage for your needs.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
No service in New York
Extended purchase process
- Ohio National Financial Services offers whole, term, and universal life insurance with optional disability income, annuities, and wealth management.
- In 2020, Ohio National had over $1.4 billion in benefits and $100 million in dividends.
- Ohio National life insurance is available everywhere in the U.S. except New York.
- Agents are available to help you purchase a policy with online management for policyholders.
Established in 1909, Ohio National Financial Services is based in Cincinnati, Ohio, under affiliate Ohio National Life Assurance Corporation. Products include life insurance, disability income, annuities, and wealth management, with policies issued by The Ohio National Life Insurance Company and Ohio National Life Assurance Corporation. The company boasts impressive performance, with over $1.4 billion in benefits and $100 million in dividends in 2020.
Ohio National services the entire U.S. with the exception of New York. There are also financial professionals available to help in the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. There are even affiliates available in South America.
- Year Founded 1909
- Kinds of Plans Whole, Term, Universal
- Number of Plans 11
- Payment Plan Options Online, phone 800-366-6654, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. EST
- Customer Service Online, email, phone 800-366-6654, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. EST
- Official Website www.ohionational.com
Ohio National Life Insurance is not one of our top-rated life insurance companies. You can review our list of the best life insurance companies for what we think are better options.
- Affordable coverage: Ohio National gives you a selection of several life insurance plans so you can find a policy that best matches your financial goals.
- Expanded availability: Ohio National features extended availability, servicing customers beyond the normal boundaries. In addition to 49 U.S. states, Ohio National is also available in Puerto Rico and South America.
- Flexible riders: Some riders are complimentary, and some cost extra, but either way, Ohio National offers an added selection of riders for policy customization.
- No service in New York: Although Ohio National is available in most areas, it currently does not service New York residents.
- Strict underwriting: For those with health issues, Ohio National may not be the best choice, as it is a company known for largely unforgiving standards for its life insurance.
- Extended purchase process: Purchasing a life insurance policy with Ohio National is not an immediate process, with the company requiring a medical exam and detailed application review before approval is granted.
Ohio National offers two term life insurance plans that come with guaranteed death benefit protection. Plans are available in 10-year, 15-year, or 20-year terms with premiums that increase annually until age 99 and conversions until age 70.
- FlexTerm Plus term insurance allows you to convert to any insurance product.
- FlexTerm Basic term insurance limits insurance conversions but offers more affordable coverage.
- Prestige Value IV features the most affordable level premiums but with limited protections.
- Prestige 100 II offers affordable whole life insurance with limited protections.
- Prestige 10 Pay II offers 10-year terms for limited-pay whole life insurance with lifetime protection.
- Prestige 20 Pay provides 20-year terms with limited-pay whole life insurance and lifetime protection.
- Prestige Max III has premiums to age 65 or until the policy reaches 10 years and offers lifetime protection.
With its universal life policies, Ohio National offers flexible premiums with an included death benefit that gives access to cash value.
- Current Assumption Universal life offers a guaranteed minimum interest rate and the option for a higher credit rate to accumulate cash value.
- V-Pro Universal life offers more affordable coverage with permanent protection that also builds cash value.
- Indexed Universal life allows you to choose a fixed interest account or index to build investment value but with the added protection of performance caps.
- Virtus Indexed Universal life includes a death benefit and the ability to accumulate cash value through four index accounts and a competitive fixed account with two flexible loan options.
Ohio National offers a selection of riders that allow you to further customize your policy.
Rider availability varies by state, so be sure to inquire about which options are available to you.
Accelerated Death Benefit
This is a free lifetime advantage rider that provides early access to your death benefit if you contract a critical or chronic illness.
Children Level Term Life Insurance
At an additional cost, you can add on Children Level Term Life Insurance, which provides up to $25,000 worth of term life insurance for a policyholder’s dependents below the age of 21.
Waiver of Premium Option
If you become totally disabled, this rider will waive your premiums during that period. Coverage is available at an additional cost for policyholders between the ages of 18 and 55.
Accidental Death Benefit Option
This rider is available at an extra cost to provide payment for an additional death benefit if you die from accidental bodily injury within 180 days from the date of the accidental injury. This benefit is available for purchase by policyholders between the ages of 18 and 60, and the rider expires upon your 70th birthday.
The Protector Plus rider increases the early guaranteed cash value with improved dividend-earning growth on whole life products. It is available for Prestige 10 Pay II, Prestige 20 Pay, and Prestige Max III policies.
The Paid-Up Additions (PUA) rider is designed to provide added cash value for future protection on whole life policies.
Ohio National offers its policyholders access to online policy management and claims filing. There is also dedicated customer service available via the Life and Disability Insurance Customer Service, which is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST. To find an agent or purchase a policy, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
|Life and Disability Insurance Customer Service|
|Type of support||Phone||Mailing address|
|Insurance inquiries and email@example.com||P.O. Box 237 Cincinnati, OH 45201-0237|
|Life insurance claims||877-446-3010 Fax firstname.lastname@example.org||P.O. Box 237 Cincinnati, OH 45201-0237|
|Disability income insurance claims||844-290-1790 Fax 513-794-4521||DisabilityClaims@ohionational.com||P.O. Box 237 Cincinnati, OH 45201-0237|
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint index shows the number of customer complaints that a company receives. Those complaints are then added up and given a score that is relative to its market share. The average life insurance company has an NAIC complaint score of 1.0, which serves as the baseline for all other companies.
Ohio National falls well below the average rate with an overall score of 0.19. It is much lower than its score the year before, when the company earned a total 2019 score of 0.33. Most impressive, however, is 2018, when Ohio National did not receive a single customer complaint on record, with a rarely seen score of 0.00. It signals a strong commitment to customer service that policyholders are sure to appreciate.
When evaluating a life insurance company, J.D. Power provides an overall portrait of a company’s customer satisfaction levels. Unfortunately, Ohio National is not rated by J.D. Power for customer satisfaction, although this is common for companies with a smaller market share.
AM Best is another leading industry expert that judges life insurance companies by their financial stability. This is critical because it shows a company’s ability to process and pay claims. Ohio National receives an A (Excellent) from AM Best, signifying that this is a company you can trust.
All products have a 10-day free look period where you can cancel the policy and get a full refund. The free look period begins when you receive your contract and may be subject to limitations based on your state. After the free look period, you can cancel your policy, though you may be subject to a surrender fee on cash value for permanent insurance policies.
Ohio National offers several options to ensure that you can afford life insurance coverage. The price of life insurance is pretty affordable compared to other competitors in the industry, and it is made even more so by the wide selection of plans and riders that offer flexibility. Ohio National life insurance is more affordable for those in good health, as it is a company known for its strict underwriting guidelines. A medical exam is required, and underwriters can take their time in assessing overall risk before determining approval and price for your policy.
Ohio National requires a medical exam for its life insurance policies.
Ohio National bases its life insurance premiums upon several rate factors, including your age, where you live, and your medical history. Gender is another factor, with many insurance companies adjusting and adapting their policies in order to embrace a more inclusive and accommodating attitude toward their policyholders. Ohio National does not publicly share details regarding its policies on birth biology, but most insurance companies tend to base policies on a person’s sex at birth and not current gender identity.
Ohio National is a much smaller, niche provider when compared to the top insurance companies, such as Prudential. While Prudential is the fifth-largest provider in the U.S., with 4.6% market share, Ohio National only has 0.46% market share. Prudential also has extra online resources that Ohio National lacks, giving greater security and more options for its clients.
|Ohio National Financial Service||Prudential|
|Market Share||Unranked, 0.46%||Fifth-largest in the U.S., 4.6%|
|Number of Plans||11||12|
|Dividends for 2020||$100 million||Not applicable|
|Wellness Program Discounts/Quit Smoking Incentives||Yes||Not applicable|
|Service Method||Financial Advisors||Online, agents|
|AM Best Rating||A (Excellent)||A+ (Superior)|
|Price Rank||More affordable than most||About Average|
|Complaint Index||0.19||0.14 Excellent|
Rounding out a year of healthy dividends in 2020, Ohio National Life Insurance brings a full suite of life insurance coverage with a handful of riders to further customize your perfect level of coverage. However, Ohio National is a better bet for those in good health, as a medical exam is required, and the underwriting process is notoriously thorough.
There are many life insurance companies out there, but not all of them are the best. To find the best life insurance companies for your family, we developed a methodology to carefully screen each company while considering crucial factors like available coverage, optional riders, pricing, availability, and resources. We also look to experts within the industry, such as J.D. Power for customer satisfaction, AM Best for financial stability, and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) for the average annual customer complaint index.