The Old Navy Visa is not one of our top-rated rewards credit cards. You can review our list of the best rewards credit cards for what we think are better options.
Full Review of Old Navy Visa
Discount on first Old Navy purchase
No annual fee
Rewards can only be used at certain stores
High regular APR
- Discount on First Old Navy Purchase: The Old Navy Visa card offers a discount on the first purchase you make with it at the Old Navy website. If you open the card online, you'll get a code that can be used only on the Old Navy website. If you open the card in-store however, your discount will be applied to that day's purchase and can't be used online or in the future.
- No Annual Fee: There is no annual fee with the Old Navy Visa card.
- Exclusive Offers: Throughout the year, cardholders may also get presale access to sales as well as other special offers.
- Rewards Can Only Be Used at Certain Stores: With this branded Visa, your rewards can only be redeemed at Gap Inc. owned brands, either in-store or online. There is no cash-back program or other way to use rewards.
- High Regular APR: The regular APR for the Old Navy Visa card is higher than comparable cards. For example, both the Target RedCard and Kohl’s Charge card charge a significantly lower regular APR than the Old Navy Visa, which is telling since store-only cards typically charge higher APRs than general use retail co-brand credit cards.
This Card is Best For
Resists or refuses an annual fee on principle or due to cost
Seeks to maximize points or miles earnings across spending categories
The Old Navy Visa card is designed for people who shop at stores falling under the Gap Inc. brand, in particular Old Navy. It’s also possible to earn extra points for purchases at Gap, Banana Republic, and Athleta stores.
Because rewards can only be redeemed for Gap Inc. purchases, this card would not be ideal for people who do most of their clothes shopping at other retailers.
Old Navy Visa One-Time Offer
This credit card doesn’t come with a one-time offer in terms of points. Instead, it offers 20% off the first purchase you make with the card at OldNavy.com. After being accepted for the card, if you’re eligible for the offer, you’ll be sent a one-time discount code that you can enter at checkout. Alternatively, if you open the card at a store your discount will be automatically applied to that day's purchase.
Rewards Earning Details
Earning rewards with the Old Navy Visa card is fairly straightforward. Cardholders receive 5 points for every dollar spent with Gap Inc. brands, whether in-store or online. All other purchases made with this card earn 1 point per dollar.
There are other ways to earn extra points, such as entering an email address or signing up for paperless statements.
Rewards Redemption Details
Rewards can be redeemed when you receive 500 points—a value of $5. That makes each point worth one cent.
You can redeem rewards by using a code online or on your phone, or by presenting the reward in the store. Rewards are only redeemed on purchases charged to the Old Navy Visa card account.
There is no way to transfer points to other programs. However, it’s possible to use your rewards from the Old Navy card on purchases with other Gap Inc. brands.
How to Maximize Your Rewards
The best way to maximize rewards with the Old Navy Visa is to use it to make as many of your clothing purchases as possible at Old Navy and other Gap Inc. brands.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average consumer spent $1,434 on clothing in 2020. So if you bought all that clothing using the Old Navy Visa card with Gap Inc. brands, you’d earn 7,170 points—translating to $71.70 in rewards that you could use toward future clothing purchases.
Your other spending on the Old Navy Visa, at 1 point per dollar, would result in additional rewards that you could also use on clothing purchases.
However, if you want more flexible rewards and the potential for cash back, it might make more sense to focus on a cash-back card like the Amex Blue Cash Everyday, which also has no annual fee and offers tiered cash-back earnings on different categories, such as supermarkets, gas stations, and department stores.
Old Navy Visa’s Outstanding Benefits
- Presale access to sales
- Exclusive offers throughout the year
- Zero fraud liability
The Old Navy Visa card is issued by Synchrony Bank. In the 2021 J.D. Power U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study, Synchrony ranked 9th out of 11 national card issuers. Synchrony's score was a good deal below the average.
Synchrony offers mobile apps for cardholders so they can manage their accounts on the go. It's available for both iOS and Android devices.
Synchrony features zero liability for fraudulent purchases. Additionally, the Old Navy Visa credit card is equipped with chip technology and the latest security technology.
For the most part, the Old Navy Visa card is best suited to people who frequently shop at Old Navy or other Gap Inc. stores. However, rewards can only be redeemed for future Gap Inc. purchases. If you're looking for a more flexible rewards program, including cash back, the Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express provides more ways to earn tiered rewards and redeem for cash instead of discounts on merchandise.