We recommend the best products through an independent review process, and advertisers do not influence our picks. We may receive compensation if you visit partners we recommend. Read our advertiser disclosure for more info.
Pets Plus Us’s policies include additional benefits and coverages, but the company has many more restrictions and exclusions than other pet insurers.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Key Facts
Policies cover exam fees
Coverage for alternative therapies
Additional benefits included
Discount for microchipped pets
Limited reimbursement options
Certain conditions exclude pets from illness coverage
- Pets Plus Us offers accident and illness coverage for dogs and cats in Canada.
- Wellness coverage is available as an optional benefit.
- Pets Plus Us operates via reimbursement.
- Policies are underwritten by The North River Insurance Company.
- Customers can visit any licensed veterinarian in the U.S. or Canada.
- Year Founded 2012
- Kinds of Plans Accident/illness, wellness add-on
- Number of Plans 4
- Payment Plan Options Monthly, annually
- Customer Service Phone: (888) 504-7387
- Official Website petsplusus.com
- Policies cover exam fees: With many pet insurance companies, accident and illness policies only cover treatments and do not reimburse customers for veterinarian exam fees. By contrast, Pets Plus Us’s policies cover exam fees when you seek a veterinarian to diagnose and treat an eligible condition.
- Coverage for alternative therapies: Some insurance companies exclude alternative or rehabilitative therapies, such as acupuncture, laser therapy, or chiropractic care. However, Pets Plus Us will reimburse you for the cost of alternative therapies, up to $1,000 per year.
- Additional benefits included: Pets Plus Us includes some additional benefits other companies don’t offer, like up to $1,000 for boarding kennel fees if you’re hospitalized, up to $1,000 for euthanasia and cremation, and up to $1,000 for accidental death.
- Discount for microchipped pets: Microchipping is an excellent way to protect your pet, and Pets Plus Us will give you a 5% discount if your pet is microchipped.
- Limited reimbursement options: While Pets Plus Us has four tiers of coverage to choose from, it only offers up to 90% reimbursement, depending on levels selected at enrollment. And its policies have set annual benefit maximums, without the option of unlimited coverage.
- Coverage exclusions for certain expenses: Pets Plus Us excludes coverage for medical conditions like prostate problems, mammary tumors, pyometra, and uterine conditions in unsterilized pets.
- Certain conditions exclude pets from illness coverage: If your pet was diagnosed with certain conditions prior to your policy effective date or during the waiting period, your pet is ineligible for illness coverage. With other companies, these conditions would be treated as pre-existing conditions; the treatments for that condition wouldn’t be covered, but other illnesses and accidents would be eligible for reimbursement.
Pets Plus Us is a pet insurance company that sells accident and illness policies for dogs and cats. Its policies include extra benefits and coverages at no added cost, but it has many restrictions on pet eligibility.
Pets Plus Us was founded in 2012, and it provides pet insurance to dogs and cats in Canada. In the U.S., Pets Plus Us is based in Buffalo, New York, but it is headquartered in Oakville, Ontario in Canada.
Pets Plus Us sells policies directly to consumers through its website, and it primarily provides customer support via phone. Its policies are only available to pet owners in Canada, but customers can take their pets to any licensed veterinarian in either the U.S. or Canada.
Pets Plus Us’s accident and illness plans for dogs and cats cover treatments for unexpected injuries or diseases, including exam fees, diagnostic tests, surgeries, hospitalization, and medication.
Pets Plus Us does cover alternative therapies, but those treatments have a separate annual maximum from other treatments. Pets Plus Us will only cover up to $1,000 for alternative or rehabilitative therapies.
Its policies include coverages that other companies may only offer through optional riders, including:
- Boarding fees: If you are hospitalized for 48 hours or more, Pets Plus Us will reimburse you up to $1,000 for boarding fees.
- Trip cancellation: If you have to cancel a trip due to a pet requiring urgent, lifesaving treatment, you can get reimbursed for up to $1,000 in cancellation fees for accommodations or travel.
- Lost pet recovery: Pets Plus Us will reimburse you up to $1,000 for the cost of advertisements and rewards to recover a lost or stolen pet.
- Euthanasia and cremation: If your pet dies as a result of a covered illness or injury, you can receive reimbursement for up to $1,000 of expenses for euthanasia or cremation. Pets Plus Us will also make a $50 tribute donation to a pet charity in honor of your pet
- Accidental death: If your pet dies as a result of an accident not requiring treatment, Pets Plus Us will reimburse you, up to a maximum of $1,000.
|Covered Treatment||Accident & Illness Plan||Wellness Plan|
|Alternative therapy (acupuncture, chiropractic care, laser therapy)||✓ (Up to $1,000)|
Pets Plus Us has pretty good coverage, but you may find its premiums trend higher than average. Browse our list of the best pet insurance providers for some more affordable options.
Like other pet insurance companies, Pets Plus Us’s main policies only cover treatments for unexpected accidents or injuries; preventative care isn’t covered. However, you can add a separate wellness plan to your policy to get some coverage for routine care.
With Pets Plus Us’ wellness plan you choose the budget that works best for you, and decide the dollar amount starting from $250 up to a maximum of $1,250 annually in $100 increments.
When you purchase pet insurance, there is typically a waiting period before your insurance company will start covering treatments for your pet. With Pets Plus Us, the waiting period for accidents is 48 hours after the effective date of the policy. For illnesses, the waiting period is 14 days.
Some conditions also have 48 hour waiting periods. Coverage for conditions like ear illnesses, upper respiratory infections, mange, ringworm, and heartworm disease begins on the third day of the policy.
You can cancel your policy at any time, but you must notify Pets Plus Us in writing. Cancellation will take effect on your policy anniversary date following the date we received your cancellation request. You can send a cancellation notification via mail or by emailing Customer_CareUS@petsplusus.com.
If you cancel within 30 days of submitting an application, Pets Plus Us will refund your unearned premiums and the policy will be voided.
Like all other pet insurance companies, Pets Plus Us doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions. It also doesn’t cover bilateral conditions. If your pet is diagnosed with a condition affecting one side of the body—such as cataracts or a ligament condition—it won’t cover treatments if the other side of the body shows the same condition later on.
Pets Plus Us doesn’t cover any conditions related to dental diseases, behavioral treatments, or conditions that could have been prevented if your pet was sterilized, such as pyometra or testicular problems.
Pre-existing conditions are any disease or condition that was diagnosed or showed evident clinical symptoms prior to your pet’s policy effective date or during the policy waiting period.
If a condition is temporary, and your pet doesn’t show any clinical symptoms without preventative treatments for the exclusion period, Pets Plus Us may allow the condition to be eligible for reimbursement after 12 months.
When purchasing pet insurance, review the policy documents for duty of care—it’s what preventative measures you need to take in order for the insurer to reimburse you for claims.
Pets Plus Us has four options. All of its plans cover the same things; they only differ in terms of available deductibles and annual maximums.
|Deductibles||$100, $250||$100, $250, $500||$100, $250, $500, $1,000||$100, $250, $500, $1,000|
In general, we found Pets Plus Us’s premiums to be higher than average, with an average monthly premium of $67.90 for accident and illness policies (using average prices for three pet personas made up of two dogs and a cat). Your premiums may vary based on your location, the age and breed of your pet, and the deductible and annual maximum you choose.
Wellness policies can be added to your coverage for an additional fee.
Pets Plus Us does offer a discount for microchipped pets, but it doesn’t have a multi-pet discount.
To qualify for the microchip discount, you must provide your pet's microchip number—a 15-digit number unique to your dog or cat.
How Premiums Are Set
Pet insurance premiums are based on several factors, including:
- Species: Typically, dogs are more expensive than cats to insure.
- Breed: There are some breeds that are more costly to insure than others because of the breed’s tendency to develop certain diseases or conditions.
- Age: Older pets are more expensive to insure since they are at a higher risk of needing medical care.
- Location: Your province and even your zip code can affect your premiums. Areas with a higher cost of living will cause your premiums to be higher.
- Deductible: Your deductible is how much you have to pay for your pet’s care before your insurance company will begin covering treatments. In general, the higher the deductible, the lower your premiums.
- Benefit limits: Pet insurance companies usually have annual or per-condition limits. The maximum is how much the insurance company will cover; once you reach that limit, you’re responsible for all other costs.
Claims must be submitted within 180 days of your pet’s treatment date. You can use the member portal to submit claims and view your claim’s status. According to Pets Plus Us, most claims are reimbursed within 10-15 days. If your claim is approved, you will receive reimbursement via check or direct deposit.
Pets Plus Us’s customer service department is reachable via phone, mail, email or secure message. To contact customer support, call (888) 504-7387 Monday through Thursday, from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m. EST, and on Fridays from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. EST.
Pets Plus Us doesn’t underwrite insurance policies. Instead, its policies are administered by the PTZ Insurance Agency and underwritten by The North River Insurance Company.
In 2021, AM Best affirmed its A (Excellent) rating for The North River Insurance Company, indicating that it believes the company is likely to be able to pay out current and future obligations.
On Trustpilot, Pets Plus Us has a 2.2 rating out of five, putting it in the “Poor” category. In many reviews, customers complained about the lengthy claims processing times, and excessive requests for documentation and medical records. Worse, several customers alleged that their claims were wrongfully denied and required multiple appeals before they were reimbursed.
In our independent survey of pet insurance customers, we found several people who weren’t happy with their experience with Pets Plus Us. One former customer canceled their policy because “We were paying a lot of money and when it came time that we needed them for our dog’s surgery, they didn’t cover it.”
There are many pet insurance companies offering accident and illness policies, and their coverages, exclusions, and rates vary a great deal. When comparing policies, ask the following questions:
- How are claims paid? Most pet insurance companies, including Pets Plus Us, handle claims through reimbursement. You are responsible for paying for your pet’s treatment and submitting a claim. The company reviews the claim and, if approved, will reimburse you for the eligible portion.
- What treatments are excluded? Exclusions vary by company, so read the fine print to see which conditions aren’t covered. If your pet’s breed is susceptible to certain issues, take particular care to make sure those conditions are covered.
- What are the care requirements? Companies usually require policyholders to take their pets for regular wellness exams and follow a recommended vaccine schedule. If you don’t meet the care requirements, your claims can be denied.
- What are the age limits? Many companies have age restrictions. For Pets Plus Us, coverage begins at 7 weeks for both dogs and cats. There is no age limit for older pets.
- What are the coverage limits? When you purchase a policy, you can usually choose an annual or lifetime coverage limit. With Pets Plus Us, the limit ranges from $3,000 to $20,000 per year.
Before choosing a pet insurer, explore your options by viewing our selections for the best pet insurance companies and plans available today.
|Pets Plus Us||Healthy Paws||Wagmo|
|Annual Deductible Options||$100–$1,000||$100, $250, $500||$250, $500, $1,000|
|Reimbursement Percentage||70-90%||60-90%||up to 100%|
|Average Claim Turnaround Time||10–15 days||10 days||7 days|
|Illness Waiting Period||14 days||15 days||15 days|
|Injury Waiting Period||48 hours||15 days||15 days|
|Dental Illness Coverage||No||No||Yes|
|Max Enrollment Age Limit||None||14 years||None|
Pets Plus Us boasts accident and illness insurance and includes additional benefits like coverage for trip cancellations and boarding fees. However, its premiums are more expensive than the industry average, and its policies have restrictions and exclusions that are more stringent than those of many other companies. Particularly for those who own older dogs or cats, Pets Plus Us’s age limits are a significant drawback.
Our Methodology: How We Review Pet Insurance Carriers
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of pet insurance companies. We rated 25 providers and collected over 2,000 data points, including information about plan options, company features, and fees and limits, to ensure that our reviews help users make informed decisions for their pet insurance needs.
Our full pet insurance methodology, including our data collection process and weighted data points, is available for review.