Known for its witty commercials and name-your-price tool, Progressive is one of the biggest car insurance companies in the country. In 2019 it was the third largest writer of private passenger auto insurance in terms of direct premiums written.
Progressive insures more than 20 million drivers across the country. It offers a wide range of other insurance products, including homeowners, renter’s, traveler, and pet insurance.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
Multiple premium discounts available
Rideshare insurance available
Gap insurance available
Prices vary with purchase method
Lower-than-average third-party ranking
Discounts not available in all states
- Progressive was founded in 1937 as an auto insurance company.
- The headquarters is located in Mayfield Village, Ohio.
- Progressive serves over 20 million drivers nationwide, and it’s the third largest car insurance company in the country.
- According to the company, drivers who switch to Progressive save more than $750 annually.
- Rideshare insurance is available in select states.
- Year Founded 1937
- Official Website www.progressive.com
- Insurance Offered Auto, homeowners, renters, pet, boat, motorcycle, and more
- Customer Service 24/7 phone: 1-888-671-4405
- Multiple premium discounts available – Progressive has several discounts that can reduce your insurance premiums, including multiple policy, good student, and pay-in-full discounts, plus its Snapshot program.
- Rideshare insurance available – If you have a personal Progressive auto insurance policy and drive for Uber or Lyft, you may be able to add rideshare coverage to your policy.
- Gap insurance available – If you financed or leased your vehicle, you can get gap coverage, also known as “guaranteed auto protection” insurance, through Progressive to cover the difference between what you owe on your car and its actual value if its totaled in an accident.
- Prices vary with purchase method – An odd quirk of Progressive’s is that its pricing is dependent on how you purchase your policy. It sells insurance online, via agents, and over the phone, and your pricing will vary depending on which method you use.
- Lower-than-average third-party ranking – In the J.D. Power 2019 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, Progressive was ranked 16th out of 23 car insurance companies. Its rating was 856, which was lower than the industry average rating of 868.
- Discounts not available in all states – Unfortunately, Progressive’s discounts aren’t available in all states. For example, its home and auto bundle discounts vary, and not everyone will qualify based on their location.
Progressive Car Insurance Coverage
Progressive offers the following auto insurance coverage options:
Injuries and Vehicle
- Collision – If you’re in an accident and your car collides with a vehicle or an object, collision insurance pays for damage to your car.
- Comprehensive – Comprehensive insurance pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from incidents other than car accidents, such as storms, fires, or vandalism.
- Medical Payments – This coverage pays for medical expenses that results from a car accident.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist – If you’re in an accident and the other driver is at fault but doesn’t have insurance or has insufficient coverage, this coverage pays for your bodily injuries and property damage.
- Bodily Injury – This coverage pays for medical bills and lost income if you hit someone and they’re injured.
- Property Damage – Damages to someone else’s vehicle or property when you’re at fault are paid for by this coverage.
Extra Coverages and Benefits
- Roadside Assistance – This coverage will pay for a towing service, flat-tire change, or other emergency services if you break down.
- Gap Coverage – If your car is totaled in an accident, gap coverage will pay for the difference between what you owe and what the car is actually worth.
- Rental Car Reimbursement – If you’re in a covered accident, this coverage will pay for a rental car while your car is being repaired.
- Custom Parts and Equipment Value – This coverage will pay for repairs or replacements for items that you added to your car, such as stereos or custom wheels.
- Rideshare Coverage – If you drive for a rideshare service, you can add this to your policy to fill the gap when your commercial policy isn’t in effect.
- Deductible Savings Bank – With this feature Progressive will subtract $50 from your collision and comprehensive deductible for every claim-free policy period.
Factors That Affect Your Costs
Progressive looks at a number of factors when determining your premiums, including:
- Driving Record – A clean driving record will help you secure a lower rate. If you have a history of driving infractions or accidents, you’ll pay a higher premium.
- Annual Mileage – If you have a long commute or drive a lot for pleasure, you’re at an increased risk of getting in an accident. As a result, you’ll pay a higher insurance rate.
- Location – Living in an urban area means you have a higher risk of being in an accident or experiencing theft. You’ll pay a higher premium than someone living in the suburbs or a rural area.
- Age – Older drivers tend on average to be in fewer accidents than younger drivers. Young drivers, particularly teens, will pay higher premiums.
- Gender – Statistically, women are in fewer accidents than men, and their accidents tend to be less serious. On average, women pay less for car insurance than men.
- Vehicle – Your vehicle’s age, engine size, model, and cost will also affect your insurance premiums.
Progressive Car Insurance Discounts
Depending on your location, you may be eligible for some of the following discounts from Progressive:
- Multiple Policy – If you have two or more insurance policies with Progress, you’ll save 5%, on average.
- Multiple Vehicle – If you have two or more vehicles insured with Progressive, you’ll save an average of 4% on your premiums.
- Snapshot – The Snapshot tool calculates savings based on your driving habits. The average discount is $146.
- Good Student – Students who maintain a B average or higher are eligible for the good student discount.
- Homeowner – If you own a home, you qualify for the homeowner discount. On average, you’ll save 10%.
- Online Quote – Get your policy quote online and save an average of 7%.
- Sign Online – If you’re comfortable signing your insurance documents online, you can save an average of 9%.
Progressive Car Insurance Availability
Progressive car insurance is available in all 50 states, but discounts and coverage options may vary.
Progressive Customer Service
Progressive connects with customers online, over the phone, and through insurance agents. Its customer service team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, via secure email or by phone. You can call 1-855-347-3939.
Progressive has an automated chat feature you can use to get answers to common questions. It also has a mobile app for iOS and Android devices. You can use the app to view policy details, make payments, view ID cards, report a claim, and get roadside help.
However, Progressive doesn't have the best reputation for its customer satisfaction. As noted above, it ranked 16th out of 23 car insurers in the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. Progressive has an A+ (Superior) rating from AM Best, the credit agency focused on the insurance industry. A strong rating indicates that a company is able to meet its policy and contractual obligations.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) releases insurance companies’ complaint ratios every year, a number that reflects that number of complaints they received relative to the companies’ market shares. The NAIC considers a ratio of 1.0 to be the industry average. Anything above 1.0 means that a company received more complaints than is typical for its size, while a ratio below 1.0 means the reverse. For 2020 Progressive’s complaint ratio was 1.76, which is worse than the industry average.
For the past three years Progressive’s complaint ratios have been worse than the industry average.
Other Insurance Provided by Progressive
Besides car insurance, Progressive offers a wide range of insurance products, including:
- Boat Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Homeowners Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flood Insurance
- Mobile Home Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Classic Car Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Renter’s Insurance
- RV/Trailer Insurance
- Snowmobile Insurance
- Travel Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With Progressive
You can report a claim through the Progressive mobile app, online at the company’s website, or by calling 800-776-4737. Progressive will connect you with a claim representative to help you through the process. You’ll work with an estimator, who will inspect your vehicle and write an estimate. You can decide if you want to get your repairs fixed or would prefer a direct payment.
Your representative will help schedule repairs at any shop you like. If you use a shop within Progressive’s approved network, the repairs are guaranteed for as long as you own or lease your vehicle.
Progressive Car Insurance Cancellation Policy
You can cancel your policy at any time without paying a cancellation fee, but you must cancel over the phone. To do so, call 800-776-4737.
Get a Progressive Auto Insurance Quote
You can get an insurance quote online, over the phone, or through an agent. To get a quote, you need to share your personal information, including your driver’s license number, Social Security number, vehicle information number (VIN), date of birth, and contact information. Progressive will review your driving history and credit report to determine your insurance quote.
Compare Other Car Insurance Reviews
While Progressive has multiple coverage options and discounts, the company’s pricing is dependent on how you purchase your insurance policy, and it doesn’t have the best reputation for customer service. Before committing to an insurance company, it’s a good idea to shop around and compare quote from multiple insurers.
If you are looking for a car insurance company that allows you to purchase your policy online without speaking to an agent directly, Progressive may be a good option for you. While Progressive does have agents and phone call centers, it has special online and mobile-only insurance rates, and you can get insurance quotes and purchase policies directly from its website and qualify for multiple discounts.
However, those who want more-personalized attention and detailed customer service may find Progressive lacking in those areas. In that case you may be better off with a different insurance company.
Investopedia is dedicated to furnishing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of car insurance providers. We reviewed each insurance provider’s coverage options, available discounts, customer services, and satisfaction ratings to ensure that our content helps users make the right insurance decision for their needs.
J.D. Power. "Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Reaches Record High as Carriers Refine Time-Consuming Processes, J.D. Power Finds." Accessed July 27, 2021.
Insurance Information Institute. "What Determines the Price of an Auto Insurance Policy?" Accessed July 27, 2021.
AM Best. "AM Best Assigns Credit Ratings to Progressive Freedom Insurance Company and Progressive Choice Insurance Company." Accessed July 27, 2021.
National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Complaint Index." Accessed July 27, 2021.