SoFi personal loan rates can be competitive for borrowers with good to excellent credit. On top of its potentially low rates, the lender also charges no fees and well-qualified applicants may be able to borrow up to $100,000.
Investopedia is committed to providing our readers with unbiased product recommendations. We may receive compensation when you click on links to products, but this doesn't affect how we rate, review, and rank them.
Our SoFi personal loan review breaks down the details you need to know to decide if the lender is a good fit for your borrowing needs.
Competitive interest rates for well-qualified applicants
Pay zero fees to borrow
High loan amounts available for borrowers who need large loans
Good personal credit needed to qualify
Borrowers with excellent credit may find lower rates elsewhere
Funding process is slower than some other lenders
- Competitive interest rates for well-qualified applicants: Personal loan rates from SoFi start as low as 5.99%. Just like with any lender, only some applicants will qualify for the lowest rate. To qualify for SoFi’s lowest rate you need to show responsible financial history, years of experience, sufficient income, and meet other conditions.
- Pay zero fees to borrow: The fact that SoFi charges no fees, including late fees, could make it more affordable to borrow. If you prequalify for the same APR elsewhere, but the other lender charges fees, SoFi is likely the better choice.
- High loan amounts available for borrowers who need large loans: SoFi offers loan amounts up to $100,000. The lender also allows co-applicants on personal loans. This could work in your favor if you’re trying to qualify for a larger loan amount. Co-borrowing can be risky from a credit and financial perspective for both you and your joint applicant. But, if you and a partner want to finance a big home improvement project and need both of your incomes to qualify, SoFi might be a good fit.
- Good personal credit needed to qualify: SoFi doesn’t disclose the minimum credit score you need to qualify for a personal loan, but it’s widely reported to be 680. Should your credit score fall below that threshold, you may need to work to improve your credit and, perhaps, consider a different lender in the meantime.
- Borrowers with excellent credit may find lower rates with other lenders: Lower interest rates can help you save when you borrow money. If you have excellent credit, you naturally want to leverage it to secure the best rates and terms available. If you’re shopping for a lower rate, be sure to factor in any fees other lenders charge. A lower rate from a lender that charges high fees might not be a better deal in the long run.
- Funding process is slower than some other lenders: Some lenders give you the money you borrow as soon as the same day you apply. SoFi requires more time. If you need access to funds in a hurry, you should consider this fact before you apply. Once you’re approved and you electronically sign your loan documents, you’ll receive a call to confirm the information on your application (like your address). From there, it may take a few more days to access your funds.
Types of Personal Loans Offered by SoFi
You can use a personal loan from SoFi for a variety of purposes. Loans are available for credit card consolidation, home improvements, medical costs, relocation, and more. As long as you don’t plan to use the loan for restricted reasons (see below), it’s up to you to determine where you will spend the money you borrow.
SoFi personal loans cannot be used for any of the following reasons:
- Real Estate
- Business Purposes
- Post-Secondary Education
- Short-Term Bridge Financing
- Buying Securities
SoFi offers personal loans between $5,000 to $100,000. The $100,000 maximum amount for personal loans is one of the highest available among lenders. Depending on your state of residence, available loan amounts may be different.
SoFi offers two types of interest rates to personal loan borrowers — fixed and variable.
|Fixed Rate APR Range||5.99% - 20.89%|
|Variable Rate APR Range||6.99% - 14.70%|
If you sign up for auto pay, you may be eligible for a 0.25% APR discount. The lowest APRs in the chart above reflect this discount.
Loan rates may vary by state
Repayment terms range between 2-7 years.
Credit Score Requirements
What credit score do you need for a SoFi personal loan? According to reports, your credit score needs to be a minimum of 680 or higher to qualify.
The lender doesn’t confirm its minimum credit score requirement on its website. But it does state that it will consider factors such as your financial history, credit score, and debt-to-income ratio. SoFi also points out that meeting its minimum credit score requirements doesn’t automatically lead to loan approval. Additional factors (credit and otherwise) are considered when you apply.
One of the most attractive features about borrowing from SoFi is that the online lender charges no fees. When you take out a personal loan with SoFi you don’t have to worry about any of the following costs:
- Origination Fee
- Prepayment Penalty
- Closing Costs
- Late Fees
Time to Receive Funds
A drawback of SoFi personal loans is the time it may take to receive your funds. Where some lenders may let you access funds as soon as the day you apply for a personal loan, SoFi borrowers may have to wait several days to receive the money they borrow.
SoFi Personal Loan Features
As a SoFi personal loan borrower, the lender offers you the ability to temporarily put off your payments if you lose your job through no fault of your own. You can apply to put your loan into forbearance for three months. SoFi gives you the option to temporarily suspend payments up to four times throughout the life of your loan (12 months of total forbearance).
Soft Initial Credit Inquiry
You can check the rates and terms you qualify to receive with only a soft credit check that won’t impact your credit score. If you decide to apply for the loan, a hard inquiry (which might affect your credit score) will take place.
Joint Applications Available
Want a loved one to co-sign for your personal loan? SoFi allows joint applications from borrowers who share the same address. Joint applications may take up to two extra weeks to process. Keep in mind that co-signers are equally responsible for debts. So, if the worst happens and you can’t make your payments, it could damage your credit and the credit of your co-borrower.
SoFi offers a mobile app for both Apple and Android users. You can use the app to apply for loans, make payments, and review your balances.
When your loan application is approved, you become a SoFi member. Membership gives you benefits like free financial planning help, career services, and access to member events nationwide.
Apply for a SoFi Personal Loan
You can discover whether you may be eligible for a SoFi personal loan, along with your rate and terms, with a soft initial credit check. Use either the SoFi website or app to initiate this process. Here’s what to expect.
- Fill out some initial information online, including your name, state, and email address. Create a password and agree to SoFi’s online consent forms to register for your online account. (Tip: Read over all terms to make sure you’re comfortable agreeing to them first, including the arbitration agreement.)
- Let SoFi know how much you want to borrow, between $5,000 and $100,000, and how you plan to use the funds. Select from options such as credit card payoff, loan consolidation, major purchase, home improvement, moving expenses, or other.
- Choose your desired monthly payment amount. Your minimum and maximum payment options will vary, based on how much you indicated you want to borrow in step 2.
- Enter your date of birth and citizenship status. You must be a U.S citizen, green card holder, or visa holder to be eligible to borrow.
- Provide your home address for SoFi to see if they can match your information to data from a credit reporting agency. Tell SoFi whether you own your home, are renting, or live with friends or family.
- Disclose your annual income (total base income before taxes). You should only include income that you can prove you earn.
- Choose between an individual or joint application. If you opt to include a co-signer, you will need to supply his or her information as well.
- Check your rate. If SoFi cannot find your credit information, you may first need to provide your Social Security number to proceed with the soft credit check.
- Review your loan terms and continue with an official application if you’re happy with the offer. SoFi may reach out to you if it needs additional documentation, such as a copy of your driver’s license, proof of income, etc.
After your loan is approved and you e-sign your loan agreement, you should be able to access your funds within a few days.
Can You Refinance a Personal Loan with SoFi?
SoFi doesn’t offer the option to refinance your personal loan. Yet you can take out a second personal loan, if you qualify. You can use the new loan to pay off existing debt, including previous personal loans from SoFi.
Is a SoFi Personal Loan Right For You?
A personal loan might be a good idea if you need to pay off high-interest debts or cover large, potentially unplanned expenses. Yet you should proceed with caution before you apply for any type of financing. Most of all, make sure your budget has room for the additional loan payment.
Because SoFi offers low rates and no fees, it’s worth considering if you’re in the market for a personal loan. The best way to figure out if SoFi offers the best deal on financing for your situation is to complete the pre-qualification process online. From there, you can compare SoFi’s offer to options from other lenders.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of personal loan lenders. We collected over twenty five data points across more than fifty lenders including interest rates, fees, loan amounts and repayment terms to ensure that our content helps users make the right borrowing decision for their needs.