Full Review of Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card
Rewards are relatively valuable
Annual perks more than cover the cost of the annual fee
$149 annual fee, on the high side for an airline card
- Rewards are relatively valuable: Southwest Rapid Rewards points are worth a substantial 1.5 cents apiece, based on our research. Earn 2 points for each dollar spent on Southwest purchases. Earn 2 points for each dollar spent on Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partners. Earn 2 points for each dollar spent on local transit and commuting, including rideshare. Earn 2 points for each dollar spent on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming. Earn 1 point for each dollar spent on all other purchases. You can also earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- Annual perks more than cover the cost of the annual fee: Two annual credits alone more than justify the card’s $149 fee. The 7,500 bonus points awarded on each card anniversary are worth roughly $112. Adding in the card’s annual $75 Southwest travel credit yields $187 to apply annually to the cost of tickets on Southwest—a total of almost $40 more than the annual fee. You also get certificates for four annual upgraded boardings. Worth $30 to $60 each, depending on your flight itinerary, these allow you to board early and secure one of the desirable seats at the front. (Southwest does not generally have assigned seating.) These upgraded boardings, then, could add as much as $240 in annual value to the card.
- $149 annual fee, on the high side for an airline card: If you hold other credit cards, this card's $149 annual fee may give pause. The leading co-branded airline cards charge about $50 less per year than this one, and many of them waive the fee the first year to give you some time to "test-drive" the card and its benefits. Those $99 cards include this card's sibling, the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier, which offers comparable rewards and bonuses, but minus most of the perks and credits of the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Priority.
This Card is Best For
Seeks the recognition and perks of branded travel partner status
Flies often for business or leisure
Dines out regularly while traveling or in home city
Travels outside of U.S. on occasion or frequently
Like all airline cards, the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Priority is aimed exclusively at dedicated customers of its branded airline. If you fly regularly with the airline, you'll get the most from such card benefits as upgraded boarding to secure the airline's best seats, which are typically unassigned.
That said, the card's $149 annual fee is also justified by annual $75 credit and the value of the 7,500 points you get on every renewal anniversary. That makes this card worth considering, even if you fly only a few times a year on Southwest.
The Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards is also helpful if you're looking for a suitable card to take abroad with you. This card charges no foreign transaction fee, which would be useful to use for purchases on the ground when flying to some of the select few foreign destinations Southwest serves, in Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean.
All About Rewards Credit Cards
Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card Bonus
As a new cardholder, you'll earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Based on our research, this card's bonus would represent a $750 value when used to buy Southwest flights.
Rewards Earning Details
You have many opportunities to earn bonus points with the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Priority Card. First, you can earn 3X points on Southwest(R) purchases. Qualifying transactions include payment for flights and incidentals as well as purchases on gift cards and Southwest Vacation packages.
Earn 2 points for each dollar spent on Southwest purchases. Earn 2 points for each dollar spent on Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partners. Earn 2 points for each dollar spent on local transit and commuting, including rideshare. Earn 2 points for each dollar spent on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming. Earn 1 point for each dollar spent on all other purchases.
While those earnings rates are typical of many airline credit cards, Southwest points are worth more than those of many other airlines, by our estimates. With each point worth about 1.5 cents, the effective rewards with the card are 4.50% for Southwest purchases, 3.00% for the other bonus categories, and 1.50% for everything else.
There are no limits on the number of points you can earn. Each year, members earn 7,500 anniversary bonus points. You can also earn 20,000 points for each person you refer to any of the Chase Southwest Airlines cards. The bonus is good for up to five referrals per year which would earn you 100,000 points.
Rewards Redemption Details
Several factors go into determining how many points you need to book an award flight, including the destination, time, travel dates, demand, fare class, point redemption rate, and more.
With Southwest, there's a correlation between the cash price and the number of points you need. So when the airline runs a fare sale, which happens frequently, the number of points required to book drops along with the cost.
Other redemption options include:
- Gift cards
- Hotel stays, rental cars, cruises, and other travel
- International flights with other carriers
- Experiential rewards
How to Maximize Your Rewards
You can increase your return on the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Visa credit card in multiple ways. To do that, you need to spend $1,000, on any purchases, within the first three months after account approval. That earns you 50,000 points, worth $724 when used to buy flights.
Also, to take advantage of the airline's frequent fare sales, be sure to sign up for Southwest's mailing list to get notifications when it runs fare deals. To start receiving emails, click on "Special Offers" at the top of any page on the airline's website and click the "Sign me up" button.
If you didn't book your ticket during a fare sale, no problem. Southwest offers free cancellations on award tickets, so check now and then to see if the price has dropped. If it has, you simply cancel your flight and book it again to save the difference.
Another way to earn points with the card is to refer your friends and family members. You'll receive 20,000 bonus points for each friend or business you refer that applies and gets approved for a qualifying Southwest credit card. You can earn up to 100,000 points each year through referrals.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card's Outstanding Benefits
- Upgraded boardings: You'll get four upgraded boardings each year when available. This benefit allows you to get a position in the A1–A15 boarding group, which means you'll be one of the first 15 people on the plane. This feature usually costs $30 to $60 per flight.
- Southwest annual travel credit: You'll get $75 each year that you can use for most purchases with Southwest, including flights. The only purchases you can't cover with the credit are upgraded boardings and in-flight purchases.
- Anniversary bonus points: You'll get 7,500 bonus points after your cardmember anniversary every year.
- Lost luggage reimbursement: If you or an immediate family member's baggage (carry-on or checked) is lost or damaged by the carrier, you can get up to $3,000 per passenger in reimbursement for lost or damaged items.
- Baggage delay insurance: If your baggage is delayed by a carrier for more than six hours, you can get up to $100 a day for three days in reimbursements for essential items like clothing and toiletries.
- Purchase protection
- Extended warranty protection
- 25% back on inflight purchases
Chase, which issues this card, ranks fourth among national card issuers in J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Credit Card Customer Satisfaction Study.
The bank does not offer complimentary access to your FICO credit score, which is what most major lenders use for credit decisions and is the standard among most national credit card issuers. Instead, it offers free access to your VantageScore credit score through its Credit Journey program, whether you have a Chase card or not.
Chase provides 24/7 customer service via phone, which is typical among major credit card issuers. You can also send a secure message through your online account, but there’s no option to communicate with a representative through the Chase mobile app.
If you lose your card or it’s been stolen, Chase allows you to lock the card through your mobile app. If you find the card again, you can also unlock it, so it’s ready for use. This feature isn’t unique to Chase, but not all major card issuers provide it.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card is also contactless, which means that you can just tap your card to a contactless reader to pay—no swiping or inserting is required. The tap-and-pay checkout experience is faster than using the EMV chip and provides the same level of security.
Despite its $149 annual fee, the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card can be well worth it if you fly Southwest even a couple of times per year. The Southwest annual travel credit of $75 and the anniversary bonus, worth $112 by our calculations, can also help justify the annual fee.
If you often travel with a sidekick and have a small business, pairing the card with a Southwest business credit card could allow you to earn the Companion Pass, at least for the introductory year with both cards. The pass gives you a free ticket (plus taxes and fees) every time you fly with your designated plus-one for at least a full year. Combining the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card, and its 50,000-point bonus, with the Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card, which offers 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 in the first three months, will get you more than enough points to earn the coveted companion pass, which requires 155,000 points.
Remember, though, that there are some restrictions with the card. As with any airline credit card, your valuable redemption options are limited. If you want more flexibility, consider a card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which allows you to book just about any travel through Chase or transfer your points to airline or hotel partners, including Southwest.