DEFINITION of 'Accumulated Income Payments - AIP'

Accumulated Income Payments (AIP) are funds withdrawn from a Canadian Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP), the equivalent of a U.S. 529 Plan, if the RESP's beneficiary decides not to attend college. RESPs allow savings for college to grow tax-free until the money is withdrawn, at which time taxes on withdrawals tend to be low or nonexistent because students typically have little to no income. If the beneficiary chooses not to matriculate at a university, the returns generated by the investments in the RESP are not forfeited as long as the subscriber (usually the student's parent, but can also be grandparents, guardians or friends) is a resident of Canada at the time of withdrawal, the RESP is at least 10 years old, and the beneficiary is at least 21. An AIP can also be made if the beneficiary is deceased. AIPs are not allowed under all types of RESPs.

BREAKING DOWN 'Accumulated Income Payments - AIP'

Accumulated Income Payments (AIPs), if taken as cash, are taxable income and are subject to the taxpayer's regular income tax rate plus an additional federal penalty tax of 20% (12% in Quebec). The amount of money contributed to RESP will not be taxed, just the interest earned or investment gains. To avoid the tax penalty and retain the full tax benefits of the savings, the sponsor can keep the RESP for a while; the child may decide to attend college later on and the account can remain open for 36 years. In addition, the AIP (up to $50,000) can be rolled into a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) or a spousal RRSP if there is contribution room using Canada Customs and Revenue Agency Form T1171. Another option to avoid the tax penalties is substituting another beneficiary (such as a younger sibling who plans to attend college). The RESP must be terminated by the end of February of the following year once an AIP is made.

  1. Canada Learning Bond

    The Canada Learning Bond is funded by the Canadian government ...
  2. 529 Plan

    A 529 plan is a tax-advantaged account for saving and investing ...
  3. Registered Retirement Savings Plan ...

    Registered Retirement Savings Plan Contribution are assets invested ...
  4. Registered Retirement Savings Plan ...

    A Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) is a retirement savings ...
  5. Foreign Plan

    A foreign plan is a retirement savings plan created by a person ...
  6. 529 Savings Plan

    A 529 Savings Plan is a tax-advantaged college savings account ...
Related Articles
  1. Financial Advisor

    Invest In Your Education With An RESP

    All Canadians should know the benefits of these flexible education savings plans.
  2. Personal Finance

    College Savings Accounts: U.S. Vs. Canada

    Saving for your child's education is an important commitment. Find out what help is available to you in the U.S. and Canada.
  3. Personal Finance

    Why a 529 Plan Is the Perfect Way to Save for College

    Using a 529 plan to save for college just makes sense. Here's why.
  4. Personal Finance

    Types of College Savings Plans and How They Work

    There are several types of college savings plans available. Here's how each works.
  5. Investing

    Spoil Your Grandkids, Cut Your Tax Bill

    Helping your grandchildren save for college is a way to spoil them and reap some benefits yourself.
  6. Personal Finance

    How to Maximize the Benefits of a 529 Plan

    Most people are not aware of how they can maximize the potential benefits 529 plans offer.
  7. Retirement

    How 529s Can Hurt Grandparents

    529 savings plan are a great way to save for a college education. But when grandparents open the account, in some cases it can cause more harm than good.
  8. Personal Finance

    How New Tax Changes Promote 529 Investments

    The latest round of tax reform has triggered new interest in the benefits of 529 savings plans.
  9. Personal Finance

    Avoid These 3 College Tuition Blunders

    Avoid these big financial blunders when trying to save or pay for college.
  1. Should a Canadian citizen who lives and works in the U.S. continue to contribute ...

    No; since your income is not from a Canadian source, you would not be eligible for any tax deductions on your Canada tax ... Read Answer >>
Trading Center