All-In Coverage

What Is All-In Coverage?

All-in coverage is a type of insurance coverage that applies to communally used features in residential multi-family buildings as well as the structures inside the individual units. All-in coverage, also called all-inclusive coverage, is used for condominiums (or condos), a type of residential property in which some common elements, such as the entryway or light fixtures, are used by all residents of the building.

Key Takeaways

  • All-in coverage or inclusive coverage is a type of insurance purchased by condominium associations that covers the entire original structure of the condominium building.
  • All-in coverage is used to insure common spaces of the condo used by all residents in the building such as the entryway or light fixtures.
  • All-in coverage also covers the original fixtures, installations, and appliances inside the individual units.
  • All-in coverage does not cover any additions or remodels, nor does it insure the personal items of residents.

Understanding All-In Coverage

All-in coverage offers the broadest coverage when it comes to insuring a condominium building. It covers the structure of the building, from features that can be used by all the residents to the features only available in the individual units. This type of coverage is purchased by the condominium association and is outlined in the association’s rules and covenants.

All-in condo insurance provides a greater level of interior coverage for condominium owners. If a condo's interior is damaged by fire, for instance, the condo community's all-in insurance policy would cover many of its interior elements. All-in condo insurance covers fixtures, installations, and additions to the interior surfaces of your walls, floors, and ceilings. You'd only need a limited amount of individual homeowners insurance under a condo community's all-in insurance master policy.

All-in coverage applies to common areas as well as anything that is used predominately by a condominium resident. Owners of individual condo units are still advised to purchase their own insurance to cover damages to anything from within their own unit that is not part of the original design and layout plan, such as additions or remodels, as well as furniture, clothing, and other personal items referred to as contents.

All-In Coverage vs. Other Coverage Types

Rather than choose all-in coverage, a condominium association can instead choose to purchase single entity coverage or bare walls coverage. Single entity coverage applies to all property, including items in individual units. It does not apply to the personal items, such as computers and clothing, of the individual condo residents, and does not apply to any enhancements made to the condo unit. This type of insurance is the most common property insurance purchased by condominium associations.

Bare walls coverage is the most limited type of coverage that a condominium association can choose to purchase. It only applies to the common areas of the condo, such as the entryway, and does not cover anything inside the individual units, such as the fixtures, installations, and appliances.  A bare walls-in policy focuses on the actual structure of the condo—the exterior, roofing, framing, wiring, piping, insulation, and the drywall itself.