What Is the University of New South Wales Business School?
The term University of New South Wales Business School refers to a business school located in Sydney, Australia. The school offers undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate programs, including a variety of Master of Business Administration (MBA) degrees that are offered through the Australian Graduate School of Management. The school was founded in 1955. It boasts six research centers and has more than 400 individuals employed in various areas.
- The University of New South Wales Business School is a business school located in Sydney, Australia.
- Founded in 1955 as a single commerce department at the university, the school was known as the Australian School of Business until 2014.
- The UNSW Sydney Business School offers undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate programs, along with certifications and specializations.
- There are eight schools that cater to different disciplines, including the Australian Graduate School of Management.
- The school seeks to cultivate an influential and highly connected alumni network, with particular emphasis on the East Asian and Australasian regions.
Understanding the University of New South Wales Business School
As noted above, the University of New South Wales Business School is a business school located in Sydney, Australia. Founded in 1955, the school was established as the UNSW's commerce department. Known as the Australian School of Business until 2014, the school is commonly referred to as the UNSW Business School. It is highly ranked and is consistently among the top 50 schools in the world.
The school enrolls as many as 15,000 students each year. The majority of which pursue undergraduate studies. UNSW Sydney's business school is known for its high levels of attendance by international students, with approximately 40% of the student body hailing from outside of Australia. There are more than 400 individuals who work at the school, including staff, academics, and researchers.
It is home to eight different disciplinary schools. These include:
- Australian Graduate School of Management
- Accounting, Taxation, and Auditing
- Banking and Finance
- Information Systems and Technology Management
- Management and Governance
- Risk and Actuarial
UNSW Sydney offers a range of academic programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate levels. Students can choose from degree and double degree programs, certification, and specialization, including its MBA program. The school's actuarial studies program was cited as the world’s best in 2019 by the Global Research Rankings of Actuarial Science and Risk Management & Insurance.
UNSW is a member of the Group of Eight, which is made up of Australia's leading universities.
The UNSW Business School's Australian Graduate School of Management boasts more than 17,000 alumni members in more than 120 different countries. The school claims to have graduated some of Australia's most successful business leaders, including chief executive officers (CEOs) in Australia’s 50 largest companies.
The school implemented a plan that began in 2015 to advance its mission of being an internationally engaged and influential institution. Toward that end, it remains focused on supporting high-impact research, creating a career-focused learning experience for students, and emphasizing two-way engagement with partners and students in Asia.
The school offers professional development and networking opportunities for alumni periodically in order to encourage and support alumni success. Its “Meet the CEO” event brings alumni and students together with accomplished business leaders. Notable past attendees have included Sir Richard Branson of Virgin and Australian investment bank Macquarie Group's Nicholas Moore.