What Is the Canadian Securities Institute (CSI)?
The Canadian Securities Institute is Canada's leading provider of professional credentials and compliance programs for the financial services industry. Its designations are recognized by the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) with many designations required for securities industry activities in Canada’s provinces and territories.
- The Canadian Securities Institute is a provider of credentials, compliance programs, and educational materials for Canada’s financial services industry.
- CSI works in partnership with Canada’s most powerful financial regulators, including the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada and the Canadian Securities Administrators.
- CSI offers the Canadian Securities Course, which is required for individuals who work as registered representatives in the Canadian securities industry.
Understanding the Canadian Securities Institute
The Canadian Securities Institute has been a part of Canada’s securities industry since 1970. It began as a non-profit organization and became a for-profit entity in 2002. In 2010 it was acquired by Moody’s Corporation. Under Moody’s Corporation, CSI operates as its own separate company.
The Canadian Securities Institute provides licensing support for the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada, the Canadian equivalent to the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) in the U.S. CSI offers the Canadian Securities Course (CSC), which is required for individuals who work as a registered representative in the Canadian securities industry. Each Canadian province has its own governing securities commission which leads to differing requirements for securities professionals by jurisdiction.
CSI Licensing, Credentials, and Education
CSI’s licensing, credentials, and educational materials primarily target Canadians, but it also partners with other regions as well. It has educational partnerships with China, Europe, the Middle East, the Caribbean, and Central America. Some of its designations are also recognized internationally, allowing for substitutes on regulatory exams.
CSI is a key operator of licensing, training, and educational resources for Canada’s securities industry. CSI offers over 170 courses in the areas of retail banking, financial planning and insurance, investment management and trading, wealth management and private banking, business banking, and management, supervision, and compliance. Its coursework and testing are easily accessible online and through a variety of testing centers.
CSI’s most popular designation is its Canadian Securities Course. The CSC was the first designation offered in Canada, with its availability beginning in 1964. The CSC is a primary requirement for working in many areas of financial services in Canada. It is generally required across provinces and territories for work in the securities sector. The CSC is also a component of provisions that can allow a Canadian financial professional exemption from the U.S. Securities Industry Essentials (SIE) Exam.
Investment Funds in Canada (IFC) is another popular CSI designation among financial professionals. It serves as a license for mutual fund dealers.
Other courses offered by CSI include the following:
- Conduct and Practices Handbook Course (CPH)
- Wealth Management Essentials (WME)
- Investment Management Techniques (IMT)
- Portfolio Management Techniques (PMT)
- Derivatives Fundamentals Course (DFC)
- Options Licensing Course (OLC)
- Futures Licensing Course (FLC)
- Partners, Directors, and Senior Officers Course (PDO)
- Branch Managers Course (BMC)
- Canadian Commodity Supervisors Exam Course (CCSE)
- Chief Compliance Officers Qualifying Examination (CCO)
- Chief Financial Officers Qualifying Exam (CFO)
- Options Supervisors Course (OPSC)
- Branch Compliance Officer's Course (BCO)
- Canadian Insurance Course (CIC)
- Trader Training Course (TTC)
CSI also offers the following certificate programs:
- Certificate in Commercial Credit
- Certificate in Small Business Banking
- Personal Financial Planner (PFP) designation
- Certificate in Advanced Investment Advice
- Certificate in Advanced Mutual Funds Advice
- Certificate in Derivatives Market Strategies
- Certificate in Equity Trading and Sales
- Certificate in Fixed Income Trading and Sales
- Certificate in Investment Dealer Compliance
- Certificate in Technical Analysis
- Chartered Investment Manager (CIM) designation
- Fellow of CSI (FCSI)
- Certificate in Banking Management
- Certificate in Investment Dealer Compliance
- Certified International Wealth Manager (CIWM) designation
- MTI – Estate and Trust Professional