WHAT IS 'Filing Extension'

A filing extension is an exemption made to both individual taxpayers and businesses that are unable to file a tax return by the due date. Individuals can complete and file IRS Form 4868 by the regular date of their return, which is usually April 15, for an automatic six-month extension. Most business tax returns can be extended by filing IRS Form 7004. However, the extension of time to file does not provide a corresponding extension for payment of taxes owed. An explanation of the reason for the extension is not required. Some states accept IRS extensions, but others require taxpayers to file a separate state extension form.

BREAKING DOWN 'Filing Extension'

The filing extension for individuals was increased from four to six months under recent legislation. Taxpayers who cannot pay their taxes will not only gain nothing by filing an extension, they will also pay a much greater penalty than those who file and cannot pay. The failure-to-file penalty is usually five percent of the total amount owed per month and can go as high as 25 percent, while the failure-to-pay penalty is only 0.5 percent of the amount owed per month. The interest runs until the tax is paid in full. If a return is more than 60 days late, the minimum penalty is $210 or the balance of the tax due on the return, whichever is smaller.

There are three ways for a taxpayer to request an automatic extension of time to file an individual tax return: 1) pay all or part of their estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension, 2) file Form 4868 electronically by accessing IRS e-file using a home computer or with the help of a tax professional who uses e-file, or 3) file a paper Form 4868 and enclose payment of the estimate of tax due.

U.S. citizen and resident taxpayers who are out of the country on the regular due date are allowed two extra months to file returns and pay any amount due without requesting an extension. However, interest will still be charged on payments made after the regular due date, without regard to the extension.

Filing Extensions for Businesses

For businesses organized as C corporations, the filing extension is due by the 15th day of the fourth month after the end of the tax year. For businesses organized as S corporations, the income tax return or extension is due by the 15th day of the third month after the end of the tax year. For businesses organized as partnerships, the extension is due by the 15th day of the third month after the end of the tax year. For example, the due date for an extension of an S corporation with a fiscal year ending March 31, 2018 would be July 15, 2018.

  1. Tax Season

    Tax season is the time period between January 1 and April 15 ...
  2. Amended Return

    An amended return is a return filed in order to make corrections ...
  3. Filing Status

    Filing status is a category that defines the type of tax return ...
  4. Taxpayer

    A taxpayer is an individual or business entity that is obligated ...
  5. Tax Year

    Tax year refers to the 12-month period covered by a taxpayer's ...
  6. IRS Publication 509: Tax Calendars

    IRS Publication 509: Tax Calendars is an IRS document that provides ...
Related Articles
  1. Taxes

    Late with Your Taxes? Grab IRS Form 4868

    Fill out this form to get a few more months to file your tax return. But remember, April 15 (17, in 2018) is still the payment due date if you owe taxes.
  2. Taxes

    How to File a Tax Extension

    Learn the process you need to follow to get an extra six months to file your tax return.
  3. Taxes

    4 Things to Know Before Filing Taxes This Year

    Keeping these four things in mind will help this tax season go more smoothly for you.
  4. Taxes

    Missed the Tax Return Deadline? Here's What to Do

    Most important: Do it now.
  5. Taxes

    How To File A Canadian Tax Return

    The process for filing a Canadian tax return is easy and streamlined. Here is the information you need to know before filing.
  6. Taxes

    What's IRS Form 1040 For?

    Most U.S. taxpayers will be familiar with the 1040. By the end of filling it out, you'll know how much tax you owe, or what your refund is.
  7. Taxes

    Next Season, File Taxes On Your Own

    Master these fundamentals and you'll be doing your own taxes with minimal stress.
  8. Taxes

    Confused About Estimated Tax Deadlines for 2016?

    If you run a business or have investment income, pay attention to this year's estimated tax deadlines. Here are the details, and what's new for 2016.
  9. Financial Advisor

    Tax Time is Coming; Don't Be Caught Off Guard

    It's time to think about tax returns again. The good news is that the regulations in 2016 have not changed dramatically from last year.
  10. Taxes

    Oct. 16 Tax Extension Alert: Don’t Get Stuck Unable to File

    New IRS procedures for filing your tax return could complicate your ability to meet the Oct. 16 filing deadline for 2016 extensions.
  1. What is the difference between federal and state withholding tax?

    Discover whether you can file your taxes by yourself. The three main options for tax preparation are a tax professional, ... Read Answer >>
Trading Center