What is 'IRS Publication 519 - U.S. Tax Guide For Aliens'

IRS Publication 519 - U.S. Tax Guide For Aliens is a document the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) publishes that details the tax procedures for aliens - individuals that are not citizens of the United States. Not all aliens are subject to U.S. taxes. Resident aliens, those who have been in the country for a defined period, are subject to taxation on their worldwide income just as citizens are. Non-resident aliens are only taxed on income they earn within the U.S., as well as on certain types of international income.

BREAKING DOWN 'IRS Publication 519 - U.S. Tax Guide For Aliens'

The most important aspect of IRS Publication 519 is its definition of a taxpayer's status as either a non-resident alien or a resident alien using the substantial presence test or the green card test as the applicable tax rules are based on that status. Tax payers may also be considered as dual status aliens and should also determine the tax status of any spouse.

The substantial presence test measures residency by physical presence in the U.S. To meet this test, an individual must reside in the U.S. on at least (1) 31 days during the current year, and (2) 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting all the days you were present in the current year, 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

The green card test states that an individual is a resident, for U.S. federal tax purposes, if they are a Lawful Permanent Resident of the U.S. at any time during the calendar year. A person becomes a Lawful Permanent Resident if they have been given the privilege, according to the immigration laws, of residing permanently in the U.S. as an immigrant, generally by being issued an alien registration card, also known as a "green card,” by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

If an individual qualifies as both resident and non-resident in the same year, they have what is referred to as dual status. A married individual may also have a choice of treating their non-resident spouse as a resident alien.

Taxation of Non-Resident Income Under IRS Publication 519 - U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens 

Individuals determined to be non-resident aliens are generally subject to two different tax rates on their U.S. income, one for effectively connected income, and one for fixed or determinable, annual, or periodic (FDAP) income. Effectively connected income is earned from running a U.S. business or performing personal services and is taxed at the same graduated rates as a U.S. citizen. FDAP is considered passive income and is taxed at a flat 30% rate. Non-resident aliens must file tax returns using Form 1040NR.

For non-resident aliens, tax treaties with foreign countries may reduce or eliminate U.S. tax on various types of personal services and other income, such as pensions, interest, dividends, royalties, and capital gains

  1. Resident Alien

    A resident alien is a foreign born, non-U.S. citizen who is currently ...
  2. IRS Publication 513

    A document published by the Internal Revenue Service that details ...
  3. IRS Publication 54

    A document published by the Internal Revenue Service that outlines ...
  4. Form 1078

    Form 1078 is an official document issued by the IRS permitting ...
  5. Worldwide Income

    Worldwide income is an aggregation of a taxpayer's domestic and ...
  6. IRS Publication 515

    A document published by the Internal Revenue Service that provides ...
Related Articles
  1. Taxes

    Tax Rules for Resident and Nonresident Aliens

    This article examines the definition and tax treatment of these types of non-U.S. citizens.
  2. Retirement

    Social Security Benefits for Non-U.S. Citizens

    Social Security benefits, which are confusing for U.S. citizens, can become even more confusing for resident aliens and non-resident aliens.
  3. Financial Advisor

    How to Advise Non-U.S. Citizens on Social Security

    Advising clients who are not U.S. citizens on Social Security is complex. Here is how you can successfully navigate this challenge.
  4. Taxes

    Tax Implications of Giving up U.S. Citizenship

    Before you consider giving up your U.S. citizenship or green card, make sure you plan for the expatriation tax.
  5. Insurance

    5 Bizarre Insurance Policies

    If you can dream up a risk, you can probably insure it. From interesting to bizarre, here are five of the weirdest insurance policies.
  6. Personal Finance

    Financial Planning Issues for Foreign Nationals in U.S.

    There are a host of issues that foreign nationals face in the U.S. regarding taxation, credit and estate planning. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
  7. Taxes

    How to Reduce U.S. Taxes on Foreign Income

    IRS rules allow for a few ways to reduce taxes on foreign-earned income.
  8. Managing Wealth

    What Taxes Do I Owe On Retirement Accounts Abroad?

    If you're a U.S. retiree, but previously worked abroad, here's what you need to know about taxes on foreign pensions and retirement accounts.
  9. Taxes

    The Impact Of U.S. Corporate Taxation On Investment Decisions And CFC Transfer Pricing

    To avoid taxation, businesses do careful tax planning, taking into consideration more than one country's taxation system.
  10. Retirement

    Top Tax Tips for Retirees

    Filing your taxes during retirement can be just as time consuming as when you were employed. We have some tips to help you out.
  1. Do non-U.S. citizens living outside the U.S. pay taxes on money earned through a ...

    The tax implications for a foreign investor will depend on whether that person is classified as a resident alien or a non-resident ... Read Answer >>
  2. What is an alienation clause?

    Whether used in reference to insurance policies, mortgages or commercial loans, an alienation clause stipulates that should ... Read Answer >>
Hot Definitions
  1. Quick Ratio

    The quick ratio measures a company’s ability to meet its short-term obligations with its most liquid assets.
  2. Leverage

    Leverage results from using borrowed capital as a source of funding when investing to expand the firm's asset base and generate ...
  3. Financial Risk

    Financial risk is the possibility that shareholders will lose money when investing in a company if its cash flow fails to ...
  4. Enterprise Value (EV)

    Enterprise Value (EV) is a measure of a company's total value, often used as a more comprehensive alternative to equity market ...
  5. Relative Strength Index - RSI

    Relative Strength Indicator (RSI) is a technical momentum indicator that compares the magnitude of recent gains to recent ...
  6. Dividend

    A dividend is a distribution of a portion of a company's earnings, decided by the board of directors, to a class of its shareholders.
Trading Center