What is an 'NR6 Form'

The NR6 Form is a Canadian Revenue Agency document that a non-resident who has received a rent or timber royalty payment in Canada must submit to the agency to declare their intent to file an income tax return for that year.


The NR6 Form is a required filing for non-residents of Canada who have received rent or timber royalty payments in Canada. The Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) publishes the form and handles all other federal taxation in Canada. The filer of an NR6 form is not expected to make a tax payment with the form. Rather, it is a declaration that they intend to file a tax return with any associated payments for that tax year. The CRA requires that an NR6 Form be filed on or before the first day of a tax year in which the non-resident expects to receive rent or royalty payments. An individual must file a T1159 Income Tax Return by June 30 of the following year. A corporation or trust is required to file a T2 Corporation Income Tax Return no more than six months after the completion of its tax year.

CRA requires that any non-resident of Canada receiving rent or timber royalty payments have a Canadian agent who collects the rent or royalty payments. Prior to the CRA approving the NR6 Form, the agent must withhold and make payment of the relevant non-resident tax by the 15th day of the month following the rent or royalty payment. Following NR6 approval, the non-resident is allowed to withhold taxes until the due date.

Non-Resident Taxpayer Status in Canada

The NR6 Form is intended for non-resident payers of Canadian income tax only. CRA defines a non-resident as any individual who routinely lives in a country outside of Canada or, more specifically, stays in Canada fewer than 183 days per year. Individuals who spent more than 183 days in Canada during a tax year but have no residential ties to the country as defined by the CRA may be determined to be deemed residents and thus subject to resident tax rates. This classification often applies to government employees stationed outside of Canada or those spending more than 183 days in Canada without residency in another country.

Tax obligations described on the NR6 Form fall under Part XIII of the Canadian tax code. Other forms of income under Part XIII include ordinary stock dividends, Canadian pension benefits and payments from Canadian retirement savings accounts. Non-resident taxpayers are typically subject to a flat 25-percent tax rate for rent and royalties unless a tax treaty between their native country and Canada provides relief from that rate.

  1. Non-Resident

    A non-resident is an individual who mainly resides in one region ...
  2. IRS Publication 513

    A document published by the Internal Revenue Service that details ...
  3. Nonresident Alien

    A nonresident alien is a non-citizen who has not passed or is ...
  4. Tax Exporting

    Tax exporting is the practice of one jurisdiction or country ...
  5. Non-Resident Entertainers' Tax

    The non-resident entertainers' tax is levied against performers ...
  6. Withholding Tax

    A withholding tax is a tax that is withheld from employees' wages ...
Related Articles
  1. Retirement

    Foreign Citizen Alert: How Are Your 401(k) Withdrawals Taxed?

    As a U.S. nonresident, deciding what to do with your 401(k) after you return home comes down to which tax penalties, if any, you're willing to incur.
  2. Taxes

    Tax Rules For Renting Out Your Vacation Home

    Here's a rundown of the specific tax rules that apply to homeowners renting out a vacation property.
  3. Managing Wealth

    How & Where to File Form 1040 (And Which Version)

    All taxpayers need to know three things when filing a 1040: which form to use, how to file and where to file. After reading this, you'll know all three.
  4. Taxes

    Understanding taxation of foreign investments

    Find information on taxation of foreign investments. Learn how the foreign tax credit enables you to deduct most of the tax you've paid abroad.
  5. Investing

    4 ways to value a real estate property

    Here are several approaches to evaluate real estate properties for investment purposes.
  6. Financial Advisor

    How to Reduce Real Estate Investment Taxes

    Real estate tax law is not the same for rental properties as it is for residences. These tips can help you pay less in taxes.
  7. Taxes

    How to File a Tax Extension

    Learn the process you need to follow to get an extra six months to file your tax return.
  8. Taxes

    How Does a Tax-Free Exchange Work?

    In regards to the sale of property, particularly in real estate, a 1031 exchange is increasingly being recognized for its tax benefits to investors of all levels.
  9. Taxes

    Tax Breaks for Second-Home Owners

    Owning a second home is a great investment for a variety of reasons, but you need to know the tax implications of multi-home ownership.
  10. Investing

    5 Ways Rental Properties Jumpstart Your Finances

    Rental properties can help pay your mortgage, provide tax benefits and create retirement income.
  1. Do non-U.S. citizens living outside the U.S. pay taxes on money earned through a ...

    The tax implications for a foreign investor will depend on whether that person is classified as a resident alien or a non-resident ... Read Answer >>
Hot Definitions
  1. Current Assets

    Current assets is a balance sheet account that represents the value of all assets that can reasonably expected to be converted ...
  2. Volatility

    Volatility measures how much the price of a security, derivative, or index fluctuates.
  3. Money Market

    The money market is a segment of the financial market in which financial instruments with high liquidity and very short maturities ...
  4. Cost of Debt

    Cost of debt is the effective rate that a company pays on its current debt as part of its capital structure.
  5. Depreciation

    Depreciation is an accounting method of allocating the cost of a tangible asset over its useful life and is used to account ...
  6. Ratio Analysis

    A ratio analysis is a quantitative analysis of information contained in a company’s financial statements.
Trading Center