What is the 'Profit/Loss Ratio'

The profit/loss ratio acts like a scorecard for an active trader whose primary motive is to maximize trading gains. The profit/loss ratio is the average profit on winning trades divided by the average loss on losing trades over a specified time period.

Formula for calculating profit/loss ratio.

BREAKING DOWN 'Profit/Loss Ratio'

The profit/loss ratio measures how a trading strategy or system is performing. Obviously, the higher the ratio the better. Many trading books call for at least a 2:1 ratio. For example, if a system had a winning average of $750 per trade and an average loss over the same time of $250 per trade, then the profit/loss ratio would be 3:1. A consistently solid profit/loss ratio can encourage a trader to leverage bets on the same strategy in an attempt to generate greater absolute profits. Conversely, an unacceptable profit/loss ratio would lead to an examination of the strategy or system employed to find weak links. Perhaps the trader will decide to abandon a strategy or system altogether if the ratio is not producing sufficient gains or even causing capital losses.

Thinking Beyond the Ratio

The profit/loss ratio can be an overly simplistic way of looking at performance because it fails to take into account the probabilities of gains or losses for the trades. A concept called average profitability per trade (APPT) can be more insightful. APPT is the average amount a trader can expect to win or lose per trade. APPT is the difference between a) the product of the probability of win and average win; and b) the product of the probability of loss and average loss. As an example, take 10 trades, three of which were profitable and seven were losing. The win probability, therefore, is 30% and loss probability is 70%. Further assume that the average winning trade was $600 and the average losing trade was $300. APPT is (30% x $600) less (70% x 300), or -$30. Thus, even though the profit/loss ratio was 2:1 ($600:$300), the trading strategy is actually a losing one in terms of probability.

RELATED TERMS
  1. Ratio Analysis

    A ratio analysis is a quantitative analysis of information contained ...
  2. Key Ratio

    A mathematical ratio that illustrates and summarizes the current ...
  3. Cash Asset Ratio

    The cash asset ratio is the current value of marketable securities ...
  4. Bond Ratio

    A financial ratio that expresses the leverage of a bond issuer. ...
  5. Capitalization Ratios

    Capitalization ratios are indicators that measure the proportion ...
  6. Policyholder Dividend Ratio

    The policyholder dividend ratio is a measurement of the profitability ...
Related Articles
  1. Trading

    The Myth Of Profit/Loss Ratios

    Determine whether your trading approach is only profitable on paper.
  2. Investing

    Analyze Investments Quickly With Ratios

    Make informed decisions about your investments with these easy equations.
  3. Investing

    Sysco and Other Big Movers In Services

    The market has been slipping so far today. The Nasdaq has fallen 0.3%; the S&P 500 has fallen 0.4%; and the Dow has declined 0.5%. The Services sector (IYC) is currently lagging behind the overall ...
  4. Investing

    Financial Ratios to Spot Companies Headed for Bankruptcy

    Obtain information about specific financial ratios investors should monitor to get early warnings about companies potentially headed for bankruptcy.
  5. Investing

    Ratio Analysis

    Ratio analysis is the use of quantitative analysis of financial information in a company’s financial statements. The analysis is done by comparing line items in a company’s financial ...
  6. Investing

    SXC Health Solutions Corp. (USA) Among the Nasdaq's Biggest Movers

    The market is having a bad day so far: the Nasdaq is trading down 0.3%; the S&P 500 has declined 0.4%; and the Dow has slipped 0.5%. The Nasdaq Composite Index is a capitalization-weighted index, ...
  7. Investing

    The Price To Earnings Ratio Explained

    The price to earnings ratio is one of the most important ratios in investing. Find out how it is calculated, how it can be used and what it tells investors about a particular stock.
  8. Taxes

    Forex Taxation Basics

    Trading forex can make for a confusing time organizing your taxes. These simple steps will keep everything straight.
  9. Investing

    Liquidity Measurement Ratios

    Learn about the current ratio, quick ratio, cash ratio and cash conversion cycle.
RELATED FAQS
  1. Loss Ratio vs Combined Ratio

    Learn about the loss ratio and combined ratio, what the two ratios measure and the main difference between the two. Read Answer >>
  2. What is the difference between efficiency ratios and profitability ratios?

    Learn about efficiency and profitability ratios, what these ratios measure and the main difference between efficiency and ... Read Answer >>
  3. Which financial metrics are best for analyzing companies in the chemicals sector?

    Learn about some of the key financial metrics that investors and market analysts commonly use to evaluate companies in the ... Read Answer >>
Hot Definitions
  1. Initial Public Offering - IPO

    The first sale of stock by a private company to the public. IPOs are often issued by companies seeking the capital to expand ...
  2. Cost of Goods Sold - COGS

    Cost of goods sold (COGS) is the direct costs attributable to the production of the goods sold in a company.
  3. Profit and Loss Statement (P&L)

    A financial statement that summarizes the revenues, costs and expenses incurred during a specified period of time, usually ...
  4. Monte Carlo Simulation

    Monte Carlo simulations are used to model the probability of different outcomes in a process that cannot easily be predicted ...
  5. Price Elasticity of Demand

    Price elasticity of demand is a measure of the change in the quantity demanded or purchased of a product in relation to its ...
  6. Sharpe Ratio

    The Sharpe ratio is the average return earned in excess of the risk-free rate per unit of volatility or total risk.
Trading Center