What is a 'Representative Payee'?

A representative payee, or substitute payee, accepts disability or social security payments for someone who is not capable of managing their own benefits. The representative payee also assists the individual with money management and protects them from victimization or financial abuse.

BREAKING DOWN 'Representative Payee'

Ideally, according to the Social Security Administration (SSA), family, friends, legal guardians, or lawyers typically serve as representative payees. Otherwise, the SSA has qualified organizations that can act as representative payees.

Individual and organizational representative payees are reviewed by the Information Systems Network & Corporation (ISN Corporation), a contractor that works on behalf of the SSA.

Who Needs a Representative Payee?

Minors, adults who are declared legally incompetent or adults who have drug or alcohol dependencies are required to have a representative payee. According to Nolo, approximately 10% of all Social Security recipients use a representative payee.

    Duties of the Payee

    Once a representative has been identified, the SSA will send the disabled or incapacitated person's social security or other benefit checks to the representative payee.

    A representative payee must spend the benefits intended for the beneficiary according to the person's needs. They are expected to account for the money spent and report any changes in the person's living situation to the SSA. For example, if the beneficiary marries, moves, is hospitalized, starts working or stops working, receives or loses any other benefits such as child support, workers' compensation or a pension, is no longer disabled, is convicted of a crime or dies.

    The beneficiary's checks must be deposited into a checking or savings account, and the money can be used to pay for the beneficiaries expenses such as housing, food, clothing, utilities, health and dental expenses, personal care items, rehabilitation, education, bills, family expenses or entertainment. Any remaining funds should be placed in an interest-bearing account.

    Payment for Representative Payees

    For a person to become a social security representative payee for a friend or family member, the must complete Form SSA-11, Request to Be Selected as a Payee. The applicant must explain why they consider the disabled or incapacitated person to be unable to manage their finances, and the applicant must provide their Social Security number. The applicant may be required to attend an interview with an SSA representative.

    Individual representative payees are not paid for their services to the beneficiary. However, a legal guardian may be able to collect a guardian fee with the authorization of a court.


    1. Loss Payee

      The loss payee is the party to whom the claim from a loss is ...
    2. Loss Payable Clause

      A loss payable clause is an endorsement where an insurer pays ...
    3. Order Paper

      An order paper is a negotiable instrument that is payable to ...
    4. Payment

      Payment is the transfer of one form of good, service or financial ...
    5. Crossed Check

      A crossed check is a check that is crossed with two parallel ...
    6. Domestic Relations Order (DRO)

      A domestic relations order gives a former spouse or dependent ...
    Related Articles
    1. Retirement

      Managing Social Security Payments When the Beneficiary Can't

      Social Security Representative Payee program is for anyone who cares for a loved one who is unable to manage their own Social Security benefit checks.
    2. Retirement

      Ready to Enroll in Social Security? Here's What You Need

      There are three ways to enroll in Social Security, all of which require a lot of information.
    3. Taxes

      The New Tax-Free Savings Accounts For the Disabled

      Due to the Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act, many people with disabilities will have an easier time financing their lives, starting in 2016.
    4. Retirement

      Social Security Benefits for Children: How They Work

      There are millions of children in tough situations who receive Social Security benefits each month to help with finances. Here's who qualifies.
    5. Retirement

      The Purpose of a Social Security Statement

      Learn what information your Social Security benefit statement contains and how you can use the information to more intelligently plan for retirement.
    6. IPF - Banking

      Protect Your Savings From Their Greatest Threat - You

      Watch your savings magically grow as you make withdrawals a headache and deposits a breeze.
    7. Retirement

      Social Security Benefits for Non-U.S. Citizens

      Social Security benefits, which are confusing for U.S. citizens, can become even more confusing for resident aliens and non-resident aliens.
    8. Retirement

      Best Ways to Contact the Social Security Administration

      Navigating the thousands of rules that govern Social Security benefits can be difficult. Thankfully, the Social Security Administration is here to help.
    9. Retirement

      Is Your Social Security Check Less Than You Thought?

      If you're counting on your Social Security check to cover financial gaps in retirement, you may be in for a shock if your benefits are less than expected.
    10. Retirement

      Filed for Social Security Too Soon? You Can Fix It

      Have you filed for Social Security too soon? There are two ways that you can fix it.
    Trading Center