What is 'Schedule D'

Schedule D is one of the many schedules attached to U.S. Individual Income Tax Return Form 1040 that you must complete to report any gains or losses you realize from the sale of your capital assets. Your capital assets are, pretty much, everything you own and use for pleasure or investment purposes. The capital assets you are most likely to report on Schedule D are the stocks, bonds, and homes you sell.


Schedule D has instructions that help you collect information about the current year capital asset sales and prior year capital loss carryforwards. Depending on your tax situation, Schedule D may instruct you to prepare and bring over information from nine or more other tax forms. These forms could include: 

  • Form 8949 if you sell investments or your home
  • Form 4797 if you sell a business property
  • Form 6252 if you have installment sale income
  • Form 4648 if you have a casualty or theft loss
  • Form 8824 if you made a like-kind exchange

Taking a simple example, assume the only property you sold during the tax year was stock and you received a Form 1099-B from your broker that reports a $4 net short-term capital gain and a net $8 long-term capital gain from the following sales:  

Stock acquired on 1/1/17 for $4 and sold on 4/27/17 for $6, resulting in a short-term capital gain of $2.

Stock acquired on 1/1/17 for $3 and sold on 4/28/17 for $7, resulting in a short-term capital gain of $4.

Stock acquired on 1/1/17 for $9 and sold on 4/29/17 for $8, resulting in a short-term capital loss of $1.

Stock acquired on 1/1/17 for $9 and sold on 4/30/17 for $8, resulting in a short-term capital loss of $1.

Stock acquired on 1/1/15 for $1 and sold on 12/31/17 for $9, resulting in a long-term capital gain of $8.

Stock acquired on 1/2/15 for $1 and sold on 12/30/17 for $3, resulting in a long-term capital gain of $2.

Stock acquired on 1/3/15 for $3 and sold on 4/29/17 for $4, resulting in a long-term capital loss of $1.

Stock acquired on 1/4/15 for $3 and sold on 4/30/17 for $4, resulting in a long-term capital loss of $1.

These stock sales are sales of capital assets that you must report on Schedule D.  Schedule D instructs you to first complete Form 8949. Sales of stock you own for less than a year are sales of short-term capital assets reported on Part I of Form 8949 and sales of stock you held for more than a year are sales of long-term capital assets reported on Part II of Form 8949. Conveniently, the categories on Form 1099-B correspond to those on Form 8949. You compute each stock sale’s gain or loss by subtracting its cost basis  from its proceeds. 

A tally of gains and losses gives a total Part I, net short-term capital gain of $4 to transfer to Part I of Schedule D. The total Part II, net long-term capital gain of $8 will transfer to Part II of Schedule D. Schedule D, Part III uses this information to compute your net allowable capital gain or loss. You have a $12 capital gain

If instead, you had a capital loss and, due to limitations on its deductibility, you had an excess capital loss to carry forward to the next year. Input any capital loss carryforward on line 6 or line 14 of next year’s Schedule D.

Ultimately, the capital gain or loss you compute on Schedule D is combined with your other income and loss to figure your tax on Line 44 of Form 1040. Schedule D and Form 8949 are included with Form 1040 when you file your tax return.

  1. Short-Term Loss

    A short-term loss is any asset sold at a loss that's been held ...
  2. Tax Loss Carryforward

    A tax loss carryforward is an opportunity for a taxpayer to carry ...
  3. Form 2439: Notice to Shareholder ...

    Form 2349 is an IRS form that mutual funds must send shareholders ...
  4. Form 1099-B

    Form 1099-B is a tax form issued by brokers or barter exchanges ...
  5. Long-Term Capital Gain or Loss

    A long-term capital gain or loss comes from a qualifying investment ...
  6. Capital Asset

    A capital asset is a type of asset with a useful life longer ...
Related Articles
  1. Taxes

    The IRS Form 8949

    Anytime you sell or exchange capital assets, you must report the transaction on your federal income tax return.
  2. Taxes

    Capital Losses and Tax

    Capital losses are never fun to incur, but they can reduce your taxable income. Knowing the rules for capital losses can help you maximize your deductions and make better choices about when to ...
  3. Investing

    7 Year-End Tax Planning Strategies

    Do you have a capital loss that could be booked and used to offset future tax liabilities? If so, it may be time to sell.
  4. Taxes

    Comparing Long-Term vs. Short-Term Capital Gains Tax Rates

    A firm understanding of the difference between the taxation of long- and short-term capital gains is crucial to ensuring the benefits of your investment portfolio outweigh the costs.
  5. Insights

    6 Tax Forms for Investors Who Have Money Abroad

    If you're a U.S. citizen or resident, and you own assets in other countries, you might need to file these six forms with the government.
  6. Taxes

    What IRS Form 990 Tells About a Nonprofit

    Want a picture of an organization's activities? This annual form, open to the public, sums up everything from salaries paid to missions accomplished.
  7. Financial Advisor

    How to Help Clients Harvest Tax Losses by Year End

    Here's how to help clients employ tax-loss harvesting to reduce their taxes before year end.
  8. Managing Wealth

    Analyzing GE's Preferred Stock (GE)

    Learn why General Electric Company's new Series D Perpetual Preferred stock is an excellent choice for investors desiring a safe and steady income stream.
  9. Investing

    Harvest Your Tax Losses Before Year-End

    You could have some losses in your taxable accounts that you can harvest for a tax deduction.
  10. Taxes

    How to File a Tax Extension

    Learn the process you need to follow to get an extra six months to file your tax return.
Trading Center