What is 'SEC Form 24F-2'

SEC Form 24F-2 is a filing that must be submitted annually by open-end management investment companies. The form is also required for face-amount certificate companies and unit investment trusts. The form must specify the name of each series or class of securities for which the form is filed, and be filed within 90 days of the end of the fiscal year during which the company has publicly offered such securities.


SEC Form 24F-2, also known as "annual notice of securities sold," is required by rule 24F-2 under the Investment Company Act of 1940. The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) uses this form to calculate and collect registration fees payable to the Commission by these companies. “Open-end management companies” refers to firms that offer mutual funds and ETFs. Rule 24F-2 does not apply to closed-end funds.

How Investment Companies File Annual SEC Fees

Investment companies that issue the securities covered by form 24F-2 will typically have issued multiple securities with varying fiscal years. Form 24F-2 allows multiple securities with the same fiscal end date to be submitted, and the issuer can calculate its fees based on aggregate net sales of the series having the same fiscal year end. Issuers are required to submit the forms electronically using EDGAR and the Form must be accompanied by the appropriate registration fee. If the Form is being filed late, interest must be paid. Issuers who calculate registration fees on a class-by-class or series-by-series basis can make a single filing consisting of a separate Form 24F-2 for each class or series in a single document.

Securities laws require the SEC to make annual adjustments to the rates for fees paid under Section 6(b) of the Securities Act of 1933, which is for initial registration of securities. The Section 6(b) rate is also the rate used to calculate the fees payable under Rule 24F-2. As of fiscal 2018, the rate is $124.50 per million dollars.

  1. SEC Form 485A24F

    SEC Form 485A24F is a registration statement for separate accounts ...
  2. SEC Form 18

    SEC form 18 is an SEC filing that is more commonly known as the ...
  3. SEC Form S-2

    SEC Form S-2 is a form from the Securities and Exchange Commission ...
  4. Form 144

    Form 144 is filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission ...
  5. SEC Form 1

    SEC Form 1 is an application for, or amendments to, registration ...
  6. SEC Form 8-A12B

    A Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filing required by ...
Related Articles
  1. Taxes

    How A Company Files With The SEC

    Filing with the SEC is not as complicated as you might thing -- just be meticulous about following the steps.
  2. Investing

    SEC Filings: Forms You Need To Know

    The forms companies are required to file provide a clear view of their histories and progress.
  3. Personal Finance

    Policing The Securities Market: An Overview Of The SEC

    Find out how this regulatory body protects the rights of investors.
  4. Insights

    6 Tax Forms for Investors Who Have Money Abroad

    If you're a U.S. citizen or resident, and you own assets in other countries, you might need to file these six forms with the government.
  5. Taxes

    Late with Your Taxes? Grab IRS Form 4868

    Fill out this form to get a few more months to file your tax return. But remember, April 15 (17, in 2018) is still the payment due date if you owe taxes.
  6. Investing

    Using Public SEC Filings To Analyze Companies

    Reports from the Securities and Exchange Commission provide investors with an edge in determining the investment value of companies. Learn what to look for in these financial reports.
  7. Taxes

    What IRS Form 990 Tells About a Nonprofit

    Want a picture of an organization's activities? This annual form, open to the public, sums up everything from salaries paid to missions accomplished.
  8. Taxes

    How to File a Tax Extension

    Learn the process you need to follow to get an extra six months to file your tax return.
  9. Retirement

    Retirement Plan Tax Form 5329: When to File

    Read this if you've taken early distributions or owe excess-contribution or excess-accumulation penalties.
  10. Financial Advisor

    A Review of SEC Enforcement Cases in 2016

    The SEC set a new record in 2016 for the number of enforcement actions it brought.
  1. What are unregistered securities or stocks?

    Before securities, like stocks, bonds and notes, can be offered for sale to the public, they first must be registered with ... Read Answer >>
  2. How long is the validity period for a Series 63 exam if I have not been registered?

    Find out how registration begins using Series 63 results and how long scores are valid without registration. Learn more about ... Read Answer >>
  3. What's the difference between IRS Forms 1040EZ and 1040A?

    Anyone can file Form 1040; however, you have to meet certain requirements to use 1040EZ or 1040A. Here is how these IRS tax ... Read Answer >>
Trading Center