What is a 'Work And Materials Clause'

Work and materials clause refers to a provision in many property insurance policies that allows policyholders to use their insured premises to store materials and to use potentially dangerous materials in the manner required by their line of work.

The work and materials clause circumvents the increased hazard clause in standard fire policies, which states that the insurer is not liable for losses occurring when a hazard is known by and within the control of the insured.

Without the work and materials clause, a policy could be voided for misrepresentation of an undisclosed hazard, fraud or concealment related to the use of dangerous materials.

BREAKING DOWN 'Work And Materials Clause'

The work and materials clause is particularly useful in the event of accidental fires at job sites. It acts as protection for policyholders against an insurance company claiming that the insured knowingly increased a hazard by using and storing flammable materials at the insured facility, for example. Provided the policyholder’s line of work required the use of such materials, the work and materials clause protects against a fire claim being denied based on the insured's prior knowledge and failure to control such a hazard.

Many industrial maintenance facilities use flammable solvents, adhesives, paints and other materials daily at their respective job sites. For that matter, the janitorial staff at many office buildings and schools use flammable cleaners they must store somewhere within an office building. The work and materials clause keeps insurance companies from improperly claiming those materials cause an increased hazard.

What Is Covered by a Work and Materials Clause

In many cases, a work and materials clause covers the main building or job site, as well as insured garages or storage facilities. Many contracts also cover personal property under the work and materials clause, such as furniture and personal items, including computers. Depending on the policy, some also cover the loss of use of a facility. Many also cover the cost of water damage caused by firefighters.

As with most property insurance, some policies pay on the actual cash value of damaged property, while others pay out based on the cost of replacing damaged items or buildings. In general, replacement value is better for the insured in the event of a loss, but it also costs more than actual cash value coverage.

Moreover, some policies have extended replacement coverage, meaning they let the insured replace damaged property at real prices, even if the cost of doing so is more than stipulated under the policy. A few also stipulate the quality of materials allowed during reconstruction of a damaged building, as well as whether the policy will cover construction upgrades based on updated building codes.

  1. Full Reporting Clause

    A full reporting clause is an insurance provision requiring the ...
  2. Waiver Of Inventory Clause

    A clause in an insurance policy that says that the insurance ...
  3. Liberalization Clause

    A liberalization clause is an insurance policy provision allowing ...
  4. Cooperation Clause

    An insurance contract clause that requires the policyholder to ...
  5. Civil Authority Clause

    A Civil Authority Clause is an insurance clause outlining coverage ...
  6. Nuclear Hazards Clause

    Nuclear Hazards Clause is property insurance policy language ...
Related Articles
  1. Insurance

    Do You Need Casualty Insurance?

    Find out how different types of coverages can protect you and which policy is right for you.
  2. Insurance

    The Importance Of Property Insurance

    Property insurance is important, but there's a lot you need to learn in order to get the proper coverage.
  3. Managing Wealth

    Protect Your Company From Employee Lawsuits

    Understanding employment practices liability insurance is easy, once you know the basics.
  4. Insurance

    Insurance Coverage: A Business Necessity

    Don't go to work without this policy in place - especially if your work is in your home.
  5. Financial Advisor

    Life Insurance Replacement: Rules, Laws & Regulations

    When replacing a life insurance policy, a lot can go wrong for the consumer. Find out how life insurance replacements are regulated by the states.
  6. Insurance

    How to Protect Your Income No Matter What

    What does it mean to insure your income? Here are a variety of ways to do it and some insights into when it might make sense to invest in income insurance.
  7. Insurance

    The History of Insurance in America

    Insurance was a latecomer to the American landscape, largely due to the country's unknown risks.
  8. Small Business

    Moral Hazards: A Bump In The Contract Road

    Learn how this phenomenon can cause a party in an agreement to behave differently than expected.
  9. Insurance

    15 Insurance Policies You Don't Need

    Learn how to save money by saying "no" to unnecessary coverage.
  1. Can your insurance company cancel your policy without notice?

    Learn about your rights as an insured when it comes to your insurance policy being canceled, including how to access your ... Read Answer >>
  2. Difference between a peril and a hazard

    Learn about the differences between a peril and a hazard. Understand the different classifications of hazards - physical, ... Read Answer >>
Hot Definitions
  1. Inflation

    Inflation is the rate at which prices for goods and services is rising and the worth of currency is dropping.
  2. Discount Rate

    Discount rate is the interest rate charged to commercial banks and other depository institutions for loans received from ...
  3. Economies of Scale

    Economies of scale refer to reduced costs per unit that arise from increased total output of a product. For example, a larger ...
  4. Quick Ratio

    The quick ratio measures a company’s ability to meet its short-term obligations with its most liquid assets.
  5. Leverage

    Leverage results from using borrowed capital as a source of funding when investing to expand the firm's asset base and generate ...
  6. Financial Risk

    Financial risk is the possibility that shareholders will lose money when investing in a company if its cash flow fails to ...
Trading Center