We recommend the best products through an independent review process, and advertisers do not influence our picks. We may receive compensation if you visit partners we recommend. Read our advertiser disclosure for more info.
The Credit People is a credit repair company you can use without having to sign a lengthy contract, and it’s backed by a satisfaction guarantee. However, its flat-rate plan won’t be cost-effective for everyone, and it lacks the additional features other credit repair companies provide.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
Free seven-day trial
Discount for couples
High-cost, flat-rate plan
Limited customer support options
No optional add-ons available
- The Credit People works with all three credit bureaus—Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
- Services include disputing accounts, debt validation, and removing late payments.
- Credit monitoring is included.
- The Credit People is owned by Duo Studios Incorporated.
- You can cancel your plan at any time.
The Credit People has been in operation since 2001, and it’s headquartered in Cottonwood Heights, Utah. According to the company, it has processed over 300,000 credit reports since its inception. It offers its services in all 50 states, and The Credit People says it has helped thousands of people increase their scores, some by over 100 points.
The Credit People is a credit repair company with mixed reviews from customers, but there seem to be no legal or regulatory actions against it.
- Year Founded 2001
- Services Offered Credit repair, credit monitoring
- First Work Fee $19
- Monthly Fee $79
- Customer Service Phone: (866) 382-3410; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official Website http://www.thecreditpeople.com
If you have less-than-perfect credit, you know how challenging it can be to qualify for loans or credit cards. If you want to buy a home or car in the near future, you may be considering using a credit repair service like The Credit People to improve your credit score.
The Credit People claims it can help people increase their credit scores by as many as 187 points. And after using its services, 81% of its customers are approved for new credit. Through its plans, customers can get free credit reports and credit scores, along with unlimited credit report disputes. Plus, The Credit People provides comprehensive support along the way.
Credit repair companies can vary in fees and level of effectiveness. The best credit repair companies offer no-risk refunds and free consultations.
- Free seven-day trial: You can use The Credit People’s services for free for the first seven days to see if it’s right for you. Your trial includes a free credit consultation and monitoring services.
- Satisfaction guarantee: You can cancel your plan at any time without penalty. For customers on the monthly plan, The Credit People will refund you that month’s fee and the previous month’s cost.
- Discounts for couples: If your spouse signs up at the same time you do—or within three days of your order—you’ll both receive $20 off your first payments.
- High-cost, flat-rate plan: The Credit People offers two plans, a monthly option, and a flat-rate plan. The flat-rate plan is a one-time fee of $419, and it doesn’t include any additional services or benefits. For most customers, the high-cost flat-rate plan is unnecessary.
- Limited customer support options: Unlike other companies, The Credit People doesn’t provide 24/7 customer support, and customer service is only accessible by phone or email; there is no online chat or mobile app.
- No optional add-ons available: While some companies offer additional features like identity theft insurance, The Credit People only offers one basic suite of products; there are no optional add-ons.
Types of Services
The Credit People’s credit repair services can help you improve your credit score. According to the company, customers typically improve their scores by 53 to 187 points, but individual results may vary. In most cases, customers can expect to see results within 60 days.
The Credit People provides the following services.
Ongoing Credit Reports
While you can get your credit reports yourself from AnnualCreditReport.com, you are typically limited to one report from each bureau per year. Through The Credit People, you can access your credit reports from each of the three major credit bureaus on an ongoing basis.
Credit Report Disputes
If there are errors on your credit reports, such as accounts that don’t belong to you or accounts in default that you paid in full, The Credit People will dispute those issues on your behalf. If the company is successful, those issues will be removed from your credit reports.
Late Payment Removal
The Credit People will work with your creditors to remove late payments reported to the credit bureaus. According to the company, it is often successful, even if your payment is 30 to 120 days late.
The Credit People will work on your behalf to validate that the outstanding debt listed on your credit reports belongs to you by sending debt validation letters.
While some companies offer additional services like identity theft insurance or business credit improvement, The Credit People doesn’t have optional add-ons.
The Credit People offers the following features:
- Free credit repair consultation: Upon signing up, you will have a phone consultation with a representative to discuss your credit reports and credit score.
- Credit monitoring: The Credit People allows you to monitor your credit through your online account.
- Money-back guarantee: You can cancel at any time and get a refund of the monthly payment—and the previous month’s cost—if you aren’t satisfied.
- Educational materials: You can find educational materials, such as articles on building good credit, on The Credit People’s site.
Important: Legally, credit repair companies cannot have accurate, current, and verifiable information removed from your credit reports. If you have late payments or defaults that are recent and verified, they cannot be removed.
Unlike some other credit repair companies, The Credit People does not provide 24/7 customer support. Live customer service is only available during business hours Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Customer support can be reached by phone at (689) 214-7813, or you can email email@example.com.
The Credit People doesn't offer online chat, but customers can log in to manage their accounts.
Reviews of The Credit People are mixed. On Trustpilot, the company has a TrustScore of 2.8 out of five. However, there are only a handful of reviews. Recent reviewers complain about poor results and being unable to get a refund.
Over 65 complaints were submitted about this company through the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). Customers complained about the high fees and lack of responsiveness from customer support, and they criticized the effectiveness of The Credit People’s services.
The number of reviews and complaints is relatively small, but you should be wary and read the fine print carefully before signing up with any credit repair company.
The Credit People does not require an ongoing contract. You can opt for a monthly subscription, or you can pay a flat fee.
The Credit People offers a free seven-day trial. There are two options if you decide to sign up once the trial expires:
- Monthly: You’ll pay a one-time first-work fee of $19, and then a monthly fee of $79.
- Flat-fee: The flat-rate plan is $419 for six months of service (about $70 per month).
Couples can qualify for a $20 discount. To qualify, your spouse must sign up within three days of your initial order.
The Credit People does have a satisfaction guarantee. You can cancel at any time, and The Credit People will refund you for that month and the previous month if you’re on the monthly plan. For those on the flat-fee plan, you’re covered by a full six-month guarantee.
How to Choose a Credit Repair Company
When looking for a credit repair company, consider the following factors:
- Fees: Fees vary by company. Some charge initial setup fees, monthly fees, and cancellation fees. There can also be additional costs for add-on services.
- Customer service availability: Although some credit repair companies offer 24/7 customer support, others are only available during normal business hours. Particularly if you work evenings, make sure you know when a credit repair company is available. Otherwise, it may be difficult to schedule consultations or get answers to questions.
- Contracts: Some credit repair companies require you to commit to a contract, while others allow you to pay on a monthly basis with no commitment.
- Refund policies: Reputable credit repair companies have clear refund policies and will give you your money back if you’re dissatisfied with their service.
- Additional features: Some companies offer additional benefits that can be helpful, such as debt management plans, identity fraud monitoring, or identity theft insurance.
No credit repair company can guarantee specific results. If a company promises a specific outcome or says it will increase your score by a certain number of points, that’s a red flag.
The Credit People is less expensive, but it offers fewer services than The Credit Pros. For its higher price, The Credit Pros provides a suite of services like identity theft protection and financial planning, making it a more comprehensive option. If you’ll utilize those extra services, The Credit Pros may be worth the added cost.
The Credit Pros also has a robust mobile app you can use to monitor your progress and connect with customer support, a standout feature.
|The Credit People||The Credit Pros|
|Services Offered||Credit report disputes
|Credit report disputes
Identity theft protection
|Max. Number of Monthly Disputes||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Letters to Creditors/Bureaus||Debt validation, others not disclosed||Not disclosed|
|First Work Fee||$19||$119 to $149|
|Monthly Fee||$79||$69 to $149|
|Customer Service Platforms||Online, phone||Online, phone, mobile app|
For those looking for a simple credit repair service, The Credit People may be a better value than competitors. Its monthly plan allows you to improve your credit for $79 per month, and there is no long-term contract. However, the flat-fee plan is unlikely to be worth the cost for most customers, so you should consider how long you’ll realistically use the service before signing up.
How We Review Credit Repair Companies
Our team evaluated 17 credit repair companies and collected over 600 data points before selecting our top choices. We weighed 39 criteria, giving the highest weights to those that are the most significant for customers.
The top picks were selected based on:
- Costs and fees (weighted 40.5% in total)
- Services offered (34%)
- Customer experience (22.5%)
- Stability (3%)
We took into account factors like how many disputes will be sent per month, what kinds of dispute letters will be sent, cancellation and return policies, and how long companies have been in business. This information was used in our company's star ratings and best picks.