The Hartford is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States. Founded in 1810, The Hartford offers comprehensive auto insurance in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Customers ages 50 and older benefit greatly from its partnership with AARP. Individuals under 50 still qualify for The Hartford car insurance but must go through a local agent and miss out on many of the discounts and benefits.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
New car replacement
12-month rate lock
Lower rates are reserved for seniors
- Trusted insurance company with decades of experience serving this market.
- New car replacement is a great feature to fill the gap of depreciation on new cars involved in an accident.
- Specialized rates for seniors through the AARP program.
- Year Founded 1810
- Insurance Offered Automobile, property, general liability, workers' compensation
- Customer Service 860-547-5000
- Official Website www.thehartford.com
- New car replacement: The Hartford will help replace new vehicles that are totaled within their first 15 months or 15,000 miles.
- 12-month rate lock: Insurance premiums are locked for one year before they can increase.
- For seniors only: The Hartford's main auto insurance policies are available only to individuals ages 50 and older.
- Membership requirement: Eligibility for the best auto insurance coverage through The Hartford requires an AARP membership, which is an extra cost.
- Lower rates are reserved for seniors: The Hartford offers a car insurance option for younger individuals by going through a local agent. This option pales in comparison to its AARP auto insurance, which features better rates, and several extra discounts and benefits.
The Hartford Car Insurance Coverage
The Hartford's auto insurance includes the following coverage:
Liability coverage includes:
- Bodily injury liability: This coverage pays for medical expenses for individuals injured where you are at fault. It also covers a policyholder's legal fees if they cause an accident that injures someone.
- Property damage liability: This coverage pays for damage to property you don't own caused by an accident where you are at fault.
Medical coverage includes:
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This coverage pays for medical and other accident-related expenses regardless of who is at fault.
Vehicle coverage includes:
- Collision: Collision pays for damages to your vehicle if you hit another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive: Comprehensive pays for damages to your vehicle from theft, vandalism, weather-related incidents, and more.
Uninsured Motorist Coverages
Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage and uninsured motorist property damage coverage provide protection if you're in an accident with an underinsured or uninsured driver where they are at fault.
You also can add optional coverages to your car insurance policy through The Hartford's Advantage Plus Program:
- First accident forgiveness: This coverage keeps your rates from going up after your first accident. This option is not available in California.
- One deductible: This coverage allows you to pay only one deductible if you file a claim for a loss for two of your vehicles under your insurance policy.
- Disappearing deductible: Policyholders who maintain a clean driving record see their collision deductible go down to $0 annually. This option is not available in California.
- Towing and labor: This optional coverage pays for emergency roadside assistance up to your policy limit if your vehicle breaks down.
The Hartford Car Insurance Discounts
The Hartford offers several discounts that can lower your car insurance bills.
- 12-month rate protection: Your insurance premiums are locked in for a year.
- New car replacement: Policyholders who total a new car within the first 15 months or 15,000 miles after purchase receive help to replace it.
- RecoverCare: RecoverCare helps pay up to $2,500 for extra expenses if you are injured in a car accident.
- AARP Driver Safety Program: This optional program is available in 35 states and provides access to extra discounts for drivers who enroll and complete a driver's safety course.
The Hartford Car Insurance Availability
The Hartford's AARP Auto Insurance Program provides auto insurance coverage to residents 50 years and older in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Coverage limits, discounts, and payment options vary by state. Coverage is not available in U.S territories Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands.
The Hartford Customer Service
The Hartford's auto insurance customer service is available 24/7 via phone, online account access, and through its mobile app. Rate quotes are available online through The Hartford's website.
The Hartford's mobile app has a four-star rating in both the App Store and Google Play. The app allows policyholders to view their policy, pay bills, request roadside assistance, file an insurance claim, contact an agent, and retrieve their insurance cards.
AM Best, a credit rating agency for the insurance industry, gave The Hartford an A+ (Superior) Financial Strength rating, one of its highest ratings. AM Best’s Financial Strength Ratings calculate an insurance provider's ability to meet contract obligations. Companies with high ratings are considered reliable in paying out benefits on claims.
The Hartford moved up to fourth out of 24 in J.D. Power's 2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study after having been ranked sixth the previous year.
The Hartford's National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint ratio was 0.36 in 2020, well below the average for companies of similar size.
The NAIC keeps an exhaustive database of all complaints received about insurance companies. The NAIC publishes companies’ complaint ratios, meaning the number of complaints a company received the previous year relative to its market share.
Scores of 1.0 are considered average. Anything higher than 1.0 means the company received more complaints than average, while scores below 1.0 mean the company received fewer complaints than average.
Other Insurance Provided by The Hartford
The Hartford offers a broad range of insurance policies including:
- RV insurance
- Classic Car insurance
- ATV insurance
- Boat insurance
- Snowmobile insurance
- Golf Cart insurance
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Flood insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Business Insurance
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim With The Hartford
You can make an insurance claim via The Hartford's mobile app, online at www.thehartford.com/claims, or by calling 877-805-9918. Glass claims can be made at 800-892-8484.
When reporting a claim, you'll be asked for information including:
- Location of the incident
- Time of the incident
- Whether a police report was filed
- Contact information for the other party
Policyholders can track the status of claims through online access or the mobile app.
The Hartford Car Insurance Cancellation Policy
You can cancel your insurance policy with The Hartford anytime by following these steps:
- Call 800-423-6789.
- When prompted by the automated system, say “cancel insurance” and then say “auto insurance."
- Have your insurance policy number handy to give to the agent.
You also can cancel your policy in person with a local agent or by mail.
Get a Hartford Car Insurance Quote
You can get a quote for The Hartford car insurance online, through the app, or over the phone at 888-413-8970, but online is often the fastest approach.
You'll need to have some personal and vehicle information on hand when requesting a quote, including:
- Name and contact information
- Social Security number
- Marital status
- Employment status
- Accident history for the last five years
- Vehicle year, make, and model
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Vehicle mileage
- Vehicle estimated use
During the quote process, you'll also be asked if you are an AARP member since that is a requirement for AARP Auto Insurance through The Hartford. If you aren't an AARP member yet, you'll have the opportunity to sign up if you move forward with an insurance policy through the company.
If you're a member of AARP or are looking to join, The Hartford is a solid choice for auto insurance coverage. The policy comes with tons of extra benefits and discounts you'll love. For others, you still get quality coverage, but you may find lower premiums and more options elsewhere.
It's always a good idea to shop around for auto insurance to ensure you find the best deal for the coverage you desire. Be sure to check if you qualify for any extra discounts that would drop costs even lower.
Compare Other Car Insurance Reviews
While The Hartford might be a great fit for many people, it might not be right for you. The Hartford isn't the only provider offering car insurance for seniors. Comparing quotes for multiple providers ensures that you're signing up for the ideal insurance policy for your situation.
Investopedia is dedicated to furnishing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of car insurance providers. We reviewed each insurance provider's coverage options, available discounts, customer service, and satisfaction ratings to ensure that our content helps users make the right insurance decision for their needs.
AARP. "Disclosures." Accessed Aug. 16, 2021.
App Store. "Auto & Home at the Hartford." Accessed Aug. 16, 2021.
Google Play. "Auto & Home at the Hartford." Accessed Aug. 16, 2021.
AM Best. "Hartford Fire Insurance Company." Accessed Aug. 16, 2021.
J.D. Power. "2020 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study." Accessed Aug. 16, 2021.
J.D. Power. "2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study." Accessed Aug. 16, 2021.
National Association of Insurance Commissioners. "Complaint Index." Accessed Aug. 16, 2021.