The oil tanker industry is involved in the transportation and storage of crude oil, natural gas, and related products. Companies in the industry own, operate, or lease various types of oil tankers and facilities. Some of the biggest oil tanker companies include: Belgium-based Euronav NV (EURN); Monaco-based Scorpio Tankers Inc. (STNG); and Teekay Corp. (TK), which has ownership interests in publicly traded sister companies Teekay Tankers Ltd. (TNK) and Teekay LNG Partners LP (TGP).
There is no unique benchmark for the oil tanker industry. However, oil tanker stocks may, though not always, exhibit similar performance to companies operating within the broad energy sector. Energy stocks, as represented by the Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLE), have outperformed the broader market. XLE has provided a total return of 54.5% over the past year, above the Russell 1000's total return of 21.1%. These market performance numbers and all statistics in the tables below are as of Jan. 10, 2022.
Here are the top 3 oil tanker stocks with the best value, fastest growth, and most momentum.
These are the oil tanker stocks with the lowest 12-month trailing price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio. Because profits can be returned to shareholders in the form of dividends and buybacks, a low P/E ratio shows you’re paying less for each dollar of profit generated.
|Best Value Oil Tanker Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing P/E Ratio|
|Capital Product Partners LP (CPLP)||16.01||0.3||4.6|
|Teekay LNG Partners LP (TGP)||17.00||1.5||6.9|
|Navigator Holdings Ltd. (NVGS)||8.98||0.7||41.6|
- Capital Product Partners LP: Capital Product Partners is a Greece-based international shipping company that provides seaborne transportation of natural gas, containerized goods, and dry cargo. The company announced in early November financial results for Q3 of its 2021 fiscal year (FY), the three-month period ended Sept. 30, 2021. Net income rose 52.9% as revenue grew 21.4% compared to the year-ago quarter. Capital Product Partners said that the revenue gain was primarily driven by the net increase in the size of its fleet after acquiring two LNG carriers in early September 2021.
- Teekay LNG Partners LP: Teekay LNG Partners is a Bermuda-based provider of marine transportation services for liquefied natural gas (LNG), liquefied petroleum gas, and crude oil. As mentioned above, the company is an entity of Teekay, a separate public company. Teekay LNG Partners announced in early October that it agreed to be acquired by Stonepeak, an alternative investment firm specializing in infrastructure and real assets, for approximately $6.2 billion. Upon completion of the transaction, the common shares of Teekay LNG will be delisted from the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) while its series A and B preferred shares are expected to remain outstanding and continue to trade on the NYSE. The transaction was originally expected to close by the end of 2021. In its latest press release concerning the deal, released in early December, the company said that it expected the transaction to close in mid-January 2022.
- Navigator Holdings Ltd.: Navigator Holdings owns and operates a large fleet of liquefied gas carriers. It provides transportation of liquefied gas for energy companies, industrial consumers, and commodity traders. The company announced in late October that Dr. Henry Deans was stepping down as chief executive officer (CEO). Navigator said that a committee of Navigator Holding executives would lead the company until a new CEO was named.
These are the top oil tanker stocks as ranked by a growth model that scores companies based on a 50/50 weighting of their most recent quarterly YOY percentage revenue growth and their most recent quarterly YOY earnings-per-share (EPS) growth. Both sales and earnings are critical factors in the success of a company. Therefore ranking companies by only one growth metric makes a ranking susceptible to the accounting anomalies of that quarter (such as changes in tax law or restructuring costs) that may make one or the other figure unrepresentative of the business in general. Companies with quarterly EPS or revenue growth of over 2,500% were excluded as outliers.
|Fastest Growing Oil Tanker Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||EPS Growth (%)||Revenue Growth (%)|
|Navigator Holdings Ltd. (NVGS)||8.98||0.7||380.1||26.3|
|SFL Corp. Ltd. (SFL)||8.38||1.2||73.3||17.0|
|Capital Product Partners LP (CPLP)||16.01||0.3||51.2||21.4|
- Navigator Holdings Ltd.: See above for company description.
- SFL Corp. Ltd.: SFL is a Bermuda-based company that owns and operates a fleet of crude oil tankers, bulk and ore vessels, dry bulk carriers, container ships, and jack up oil rigs. The company announced in November that it has agreed to acquire four modern oil tankers for an aggregate purchase price of $160 million from affiliates of Frontline Ltd. (FRO). The acquisition includes long-term time charters to a subsidiary of Trafigura, a commodity trading and logistics company.
- Capital Product Partners LP: See above for company description.
These are the oil tanker stocks that had the highest total return over the last 12 months.
|Oil Tanker Stocks with the Most Momentum|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing Total Return (%)|
|Capital Product Partners LP (CPLP)||16.01||0.3||85.0|
|Teekay LNG Partners LP (TGP)||17.00||1.5||47.4|
|SFL Corp. Ltd. (SFL)||8.38||1.2||33.6|
|Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLE)||N/A||N/A||54.5|
- Capital Product Partners LP: See above for company description.
- Teekay LNG Partners LP: See above for company description.
- SFL Corp. Ltd.: See above for company description.
The comments, opinions and analyses expressed herein are for informational purposes only and should not be considered individual investment advice or recommendations to invest in any security or to adopt any investment strategy. While we believe the information provided herein is reliable, we do not warrant its accuracy or completeness. The views and strategies described on our content may not be suitable for all investors. Because market and economic conditions are subject to rapid change, all comments, opinions, and analyses contained within our content are rendered as of the date of the posting and may change without notice. The material is not intended as a complete analysis of every material fact regarding any country, region, market, industry, investment, or strategy.
YCharts. "Financial Data." Accessed Jan. 11, 2021.
Capital Product Partners LP. "Capital Product Partners L.P. Announces Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results." Accessed Jan. 11, 2022.
Teekay LNG Partners LP. "STONEPEAK TO ACQUIRE TEEKAY LNG IN A $6.2 BILLION TRANSACTION." Accessed Jan. 12, 2022.
Teekay LNG Partners LP. "TEEKAY LNG ANNOUNCES UPDATES ON REQUIRED APPROVALS FOR MERGER WITH STONEPEAK." Accessed Jan. 12, 2022.
Navigator Holdings Ltd. "Navigator Holdings Ltd. announces Dr. Henry “Harry” Deans stepping down as CEO." Accessed Jan. 12, 2022.
SFL Corp. Ltd. "SFL – Acquisition of four LR2 product tankers in combination with long term charters." Accessed Jan. 12, 2022.