The S&P 500 Index is a market-capitalization-weighted index of the 500 largest publicly traded companies in the U.S. It is widely regarded as the best gauge of large-cap U.S. equities. Some of the largest companies in the index include Microsoft Corp. (MSFT), Apple Inc. (AAPL), and Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN). The S&P 500 posted a 12-month trailing total return of 21.3% as of November 25, 2019.
Below, we'll look at the top S&P 500 stocks for December with regard to value, growth, and momentum.
S&P 500 Stocks with the Best Value
Here are the S&P 500 stocks with the lowest 12-month trailing price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio. Because profits can be returned to shareholders in the form of dividends and buybacks, a low P/E ratio shows you’re paying less for each dollar of profit generated.
|S&P 500 Stocks with the Best Value|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing P/E|
|Vornado Realty Trust (VNO)||63.09||12.0||4.0|
|Macy's Inc. (M)||15.43||4.8||5.0|
|CBS Corp. (CBS)||39.52||14.8||5.1|
- Vornado Realty Trust: Vornado Realty Trust is a real estate investment trust (REIT), that owns office, retail, merchandise mart properties, and other real estate and related investments. For Q3 2019, Vornado announced net income attributable to common shareholders of just under $323 million, up 69% year-over-year (YOY).
- Macy's Inc.: Macy's operates department stores nationwide that offer a wide range of merchandise, including apparel, accessories, cosmetics, home furnishings, and other consumer goods. The retailer announced earlier this year that it would eliminate the sale of fur products by the end of fiscal 2020.
- CBS Corp.: CBS is a multimedia company engaged in the operation of broadcasting, television production, and publishing businesses that serve audiences around the world. The company is set to merge with Viacom Inc. (VIAB) in early December in an attempt to better compete with rivals like Netflix Inc. (NFLX) and the Walt Disney Co. (DIS). The merger is expected to close on December 4.
S&P 500 Stocks with the Fastest Earnings Growth
Here are the S&P 500 stocks with the highest year-over-year (YOY) earnings per share (EPS) growth for the most recent quarter. Rising earnings show that a company’s business is growing and is generating more money that it can reinvest or return to shareholders.
|S&P 500 Stocks with the Fastest Earnings Growth|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||EPS Growth (%)|
|Welltower Inc. (WELL)||83.65||34.0||574.1|
|ServiceNow Inc. (NOW)||279.98||52.8||462.1|
|Newmont Goldcorp Corp. (NEM)||38.09||31.2||723.2|
- Welltower Inc.: Welltower operates as a REIT that invests in senior housing and properties involved in health care services. Welltower recently announced plans to acquire a medical office building portfolio for $1.7 billion, dramatically expanding its holdings.
- ServiceNow Inc.: Software and cloud services management company ServiceNow is focused on the information technology space. The company recently shifted some of its executive leadership, bringing on Gina Mastantuono as CFO, effective in January of 2020.
- Newmont Goldcorp Corp.: Newmont Goldcorp acquires, explores, and develops mineral properties, and engages in the production and marketing of gold and copper.
S&P 500 Stocks with the Most Momentum
These are the S&P 500 stocks that had the greatest total return over the past 12 months.
|S&P 500 Stocks with the Most Momentum|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing Total Return (%)|
|Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD)||39.15||44.6||109.0|
|Target Corp. (TGT)||127.02||64.4||89.2|
|Lam Research Corp. (LRCX)||261.98||38.0||85.7|
|S&P 500 (
- Advanced Micro Devices Inc.: Also known as AMD, Advanced Micro Devices manufactures semiconductors and related products like microprocessors and graphics cards. The company recently announced its plans to launch the first 7nm professional PC workstation graphics card.
- Target Corp.: Retail giant Target operates general discount stores selling a variety of products including food, electronics, home goods and more. For Q3 2019, Target reported comparable sales growth of 4.5% YOY.
- Lam Research Corp.: Lam Research is a manufacturer and servicer of semiconductor equipment used in making integrated circuits.
YCharts. "YCharts," Accessed Nov. 26, 2019.
Vornado Realty Trust. "Vornado Announces Third Quarter 2019 Financial Results," Accessed Nov. 26, 2019.
Macy's Inc. "Macy's, Inc. Commits to Going Fur-Free," Accessed Nov. 26, 2019.
CBS Corp. "CBS Corporation and Viacom Inc. Announce Expected Closing Date of Merger," Accessed Nov. 26, 2019.
Welltower Inc. "Welltower Expands Outpatient Medical Platform Through Acquisition of Hammes and 4 Other Transactions of Class-A Properties, Totaling $1.7 Billion," Accessed Nov. 26, 2019.
ServiceNow Inc. "ServiceNow Names Gina Mastantuono as Chief Financial Officer," Accessed Nov. 26, 2019.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc. "AMD Launches World’s First 7nm Professional PC Workstation Graphics Card for 3D Designers, Architects and Engineers," Accessed Nov. 26, 2019.
Target Corp. "Target Reports Third Quarter 2019 Earnings," Accessed Nov. 26, 2019.