The Russell 1000 Index is a market-capitalization-weighted index of the 1000 largest publicly traded companies in the U.S. It represents approximately 92% of the total market capitalization of all listed stocks in the U.S. equity market. For that reason, it is considered a bellwether for large-cap investing. Some of the largest companies in the index include Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN), JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM), and Visa Inc. (V). The Russell 1000's total return is 15.6% over the past 12 months, as of October 27, 2020. All statistics in the tables below are as of October 28.
Here are the top 5 stocks with the best value, the fastest growth, and the most momentum.
Best Value Stocks
Value investing is a factor-based investing strategy in which you pick stocks that you believe are trading for less than what they are intrinsically worth, usually by measuring the ratio of the stock's price to one or more fundamental business metrics. A widely accepted value metric is the price-to-earnings ratio (P/E Ratio). Value investors believe that if a business is cheap compared to its intrinsic value, in this case as measured by its P/E ratio, the stock price may rise faster than others as the price comes back in line with the worth of the company. These are the stocks with the lowest 12-month trailing price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio.
|Best Value Stocks|
|Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing P/E Ratio|
|Brighthouse Financial Inc. (BHF)||29.63||2.8||1.4|
|Brookfield Property REIT Inc. (BPYU)||14.58||0.7||1.4|
|NRG Energy Inc. (NRG)||33.04||8.1||2.1|
|Ardagh Group SA (ARD)||16.18||3.8||2.6|
|NortonLifeLock Inc. (NLOK)||20.80||12.3||3.4|
- Brighthouse Financial Inc.: Brighthouse Financial is a financial services company that provides annuities and life insurance to more than 2 million customers in the U.S. The company has total assets of $235 billion, total liabilities of $214 billion, and assets under management (AUM) of $207 billion. It operates through four major segments, including Annuities, Life, Run-Off, and Corporate & Others.
- Brookfield Property REIT Inc.: Brookfield Property REIT is a subsidiary of Brookfield Property Partners LP (BPY). The subsidiary operates as a real estate investment trust (REIT) intended to provide investors economic equivalence to its parent. Brookfield is a diversified global real estate company with a portfolio that includes 2,000 assets in 30 countries. It owns and operates a large portfolio of office, retail, multifamily, industrial, hospitality, student housing, and manufactured housing assets. It aims to generate long-term returns on equity of 12%-15%.
- NRG Energy Inc.: NRG Energy is an integrated power utility company that produces, sells, and distributes energy and energy services to approximately 3.7 million U.S. customers. The company generates about 23,000 megawatts of electricity, of which 43% derives from natural gas, 34% from coal, and the remaining percentage coming from oil, renewables, and nuclear. NRG Energy announced in early October that it was granted early termination of the Hart-Scott-Rodino waiting period by the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) concerning its proposed acquisition of Direct Energy from Centrica PLC. The company is now waiting for approval from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). The acquisition is expected to close by the end of the year.
- Ardagh Group SA: Ardagh Group is a Luxembourg-based materials company that manufactures containers and packaging products using 100% recyclable materials. The company operates 56 metal and glass production facilities in 12 countries, and employs more than 16,000 people globally. Ardagh Group reported $43 million in profit on a 4.2% increase in revenue in Q3 2020, which ended September 30, 2020. The profit performance was a significant improvement from the $29 million loss posted in the year-ago quarter.
- NortonLifeLock Inc.: NortonLifeLock is a software technology company that offers cyber security to more than 50 million consumers. The company offers solutions aimed at helping its customers secure their devices, identities, online privacy, and other digital security needs.
Fastest Growing Stocks
Growth investing is a factor-based investing strategy in which you invest in businesses that you believe will grow significantly faster than the market as a whole. There are different growth metrics, but one of the most widely used is growth in profits, as measured by earnings per share (EPS). Growth investors believe that if a company consistently grows profits faster than the market as a whole, its stock price will rise as investors seek to get a share of future profits. These are the stocks with the highest year-over-year (YOY) EPS growth for the most recent quarter.
|Fastest Growing Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||EPS Growth (%)|
|Quidel Corp. (QDEL)||273.60||11.5||5,070|
|Brandywine Realty Trust (BDN)||9.12||1.6||3,900|
|Zoom Video Communications Inc. (ZM)||538.99||153.3||3,050|
|Salesforce.com Inc. (CRM)||250.30||227.8||2,490|
|Berry Global Group Inc. (BERY)||47.17||6.3||1,320|
- Quidel Corp.: Quidel is a diagnostic healthcare manufacturer whose offerings include rapid diagnostic testing solutions, cellular-based virology assays, and molecular diagnostic systems. The company, founded in 1979, is a leader in making products that help treat infectious diseases, as well as for reproductive health. It produces AmpliVue, the world's first FDA-cleared handheld molecular device. Quidel announced in early October that it had received Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to market a rapid point-of-care test that is capable of simultaneously testing for SARS-CoV-2, influenza A, and influenza B. The test can be used on individuals showing symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
- Brandywine Realty Trust: Brandywine is a REIT that owns, manages, leases, acquires, and develops suburban and urban office properties in a number of eastern states and Texas. Its office portfolio consists of 185 properties totaling 25.3 million square feet. Brandywine reported net income growth of 3,948.9% despite a 13.2% decline in revenue in Q3 2020, which ended September 30, 2020. The increase in net income was primarily driven by gains on the sale of real estate assets, but also got a boost from lower operating expenses. The company gave no guidance for 2021 due to the uncertain business climate arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Zoom Video Communications Inc.: Zoom Video Communications is a communications technology company that provides a video-first communication platform and Web conferencing services. Its cloud platform offers video, voice, content sharing, and chat for mobile devices, desktops, telephones, and room systems. The platform supports up to 1,000 video participants and 10,000 viewers on a single conference call.
- Salesforce.com Inc.: Salesforce.com is a cloud-based software technology company that offers online solutions for customer relationship management to more than 150,000 companies. The company provides a cloud-based platform for customers and developers to build and run business applications, helping them to manage sales, marketing, user engagement, data analytics, and more.
- Berry Global Group Inc.: Berry Global Group, the product of more than 40 acquisitions over three decades, is a materials company that manufactures plastic products and containers for a broad range of industries including healthcare, agriculture, and cannabis. With more than 48,000 employees, the company produces bottles, drink cups, flexible packaging, jars, lids, straws, tapes, stretch film, shrink films, tubes, and more. It operates under a number of brands, including Chicopee, Covertan, Verdant, and Polyken.
Stocks with the Most Momentum
Momentum investing is a factor-based investing strategy in which you invest in a stock whose price has risen faster than the market as a whole. Momentum investors believe that stocks which have outperformed the market will often continue to do so, because the factors that caused them to outperform will not suddenly disappear. In addition, other investors, seeking to benefit from the stock's outperformance, will often purchase the stock, further bidding its price higher and pushing the stock higher still. These are the stocks that had the highest total return over the last 12 months.
|Stocks with the Most Momentum|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing Total Return (%)|
|Zoom Video Communications Inc. (ZM)||538.99||153.3||749.5|
|Livongo Health Inc. (LVGO)||142.89||14.5||575.0|
|Tesla Inc. (TSLA)||424.68||402.6||547.1|
|Peloton Interactive Inc. (PTON)||121.15||35.3||440.8|
|Quidel Corp. (QDEL)||273.60||11.5||351.2|
- Zoom Video Communications Inc.: See above for company description.
- Livongo Health Inc.: Livongo Health is a biotechnology company that operates a consumer digital health platform serving more than 410,000 members. The company develops applied health signals for the monitoring and treatment of chronic health conditions, such as diabetes, hypertension, weight management, and a variety of behavioral health issues. Livongo and virtual care company Teladoc Health Inc. (TDOC) announced on August 5 that the two companies had entered into a proposed merger valued at $18.5 billion. The company announced in September that, in cooperation with Teladoc Health Inc. (TDOC), it has filed a definitive joint proxy statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regarding the merger. Both companies will hold respective shareholder votes on October 29, 2020. The board of directors of each company is recommending their respective shareholders to approve the proposed merger.
- Tesla Inc.: Tesla is the world's largest automaker by market value, with a market cap of about $388 billion, and is one of the world's leading makers of electric vehicles. It designs and manufactures fully electric vehicles, including luxury and mass market sedans and trucks. It also is a clean energy company and produces solar energy generation and energy storage products. Tesla posted a net profit in Q3 2020, its fifth straight quarterly profit, a major improvement after a long string of financial losses in previous years. Net income rose 146.0% as revenue grew 39.2% compared to the year-ago quarter. The company produced more than 145,000 vehicles and delivered more than 139,000 in Q3 2020.
- Peloton Interactive Inc.: Peloton offers indoor fitness equipment, including a stationary bicycle and treadmill, interactive fitness services, and fitness-related accessories and apparel. The company's more than 3.1 million members can engage in online fitness classes via its digital app that syncs with its fitness equipment.
- Quidel Corp.: See above for company description.
YCharts. "Financial Data." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Brighthouse Financial Inc. "Our Story." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Brookfield Property Partners LP. "About Us: Who We Are." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Brookfield Property Partners LP. "Brookfield Property REIT: Overview." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
NRG Energy Inc. "GENERATION." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
NRG Energy Inc. "ABOUT." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
NRG Energy Inc. "NRG Energy, Inc. Announces Approval of Direct Energy Acquisition by Centrica PLC’s Shareholders and Increase to Revolving Credit Facility Commitments." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
NRG Energy Inc. "NRG Announces Early Termination of Hart-Scott-Rodino Waiting Period for Direct Energy Acquisition." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Ardagh Group SA. "A global leader in sustainable packaging solutions." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Ardagh Group SA. "Ardagh Group S.A. – Third Quarter 2020 Results." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
NortonLifeLock Inc. "NortonLifeLock A New Day in Cyber Safety." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Quidel Corp. "About Quidel." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Quidel Corp. "QUIDEL RECEIVES EMERGENCY AUTHORIZATION FOR FIRST RAPID ANTIGEN “ABC TEST”: A COMBINATION DIAGNOSTIC ASSAY FOR INFLUENZA A+B AND COVID-19." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Brandywine Realty Trust. "the Brandywine Difference," Page 3. Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Brandywine Realty Trust. "Brandywine Realty Trust Announces Third Quarter 2020 Results and Narrows 2020 Guidance," Pages 4 & 9. Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Zoom Video Communications Inc. "About." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Zoom Video Communications Inc. "Homepage." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Salesforce.com Inc. "What is Salesforce?" Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Salesforce.com Inc. "Products Overview." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Berry Global Group Inc. "Company History." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Berry Gobal Group Inc. "Product Catalog." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Berry Global Group Inc. "Berry Brand Portfolio." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Livongo Health Inc. "Investor Relations." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Livongo Health Inc. "Homepage." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Livongo. "Teladoc Health and Livongo Merge to Create New Standard in Global Healthcare Delivery, Access and Experience." Accessed Oct. 29, 2020.
Livongo Health Inc. "Teladoc Health and Livongo File Definitive Proxy Statement." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Yahoo! Finance. "Tesla, Inc. (TSLA)." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Tesla Inc. "Form 10-Q for the quarterly period ended June 30, 2020," Page 10. Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
The Wall Street Journal. "Tesla Extended Profit Streak With Record Quarterly Sales." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Tesla Inc. "Form 10-Q for the quarterly period ended September 30, 2020," Page 5. Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Tesla Inc. "Tesla Q3 2020 Vehicle Production & Deliveries." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Peloton Interactive Inc. "Home Page." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.
Peloton Interactive Inc. "Investor Relations." Accessed Oct. 28, 2020.