The Russell 1000 Index is a market-capitalization-weighted index of the 1000 largest publicly traded companies in the U.S. It represents approximately 92% of the total market capitalization of all listed stocks in the U.S. equity market. For that reason, it is considered a bellwether for large-cap investing. Some of the largest companies in the index include Apple Inc. (AAPL), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), and The Walt Disney Co. (DIS). The Russell 1000's total return is 83.1% over the past 12 months. All figures throughout this story are as of March 23, 2021.
Here are the top 5 stocks with the best value, the fastest growth, and the most momentum.
Value investing is a factor-based investing strategy in which you pick stocks that you believe are trading for less than what they are intrinsically worth, usually by measuring the ratio of the stock's price to one or more fundamental business metrics. A widely accepted value metric is the price-to-earnings ratio (P/E Ratio). Value investors believe that if a business is cheap compared to its intrinsic value, in this case as measured by its P/E ratio, the stock price may rise faster than others as the price comes back in line with the worth of the company. These are the stocks with the lowest 12-month trailing price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio.
|Best Value Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing P/E Ratio|
|Qurate Retail Inc. ( QRTEA)||12.07||5.0||4.2|
|Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc. ( BIO)||571.00||17.0||4.5|
|White Mountains Insurance Group Ltd. ( WTM)||1169.98||3.6||5.1|
|Huntsman Corp. ( HUN)||26.81||5.9||5.8|
|Virtu Financial Inc. ( VIRT)||30.07||5.8||5.8|
- Qurate Retail Inc.: Qurate Retail is an e-commerce service company. It partners with television networks and e-commerce sites, social media, and mobile applications to provide video and digital commerce services. Qurate reaches 380 million homes, and operates through seven retail brands, including QVC, HSN, zulily, and Frontgate.
- Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.: Bio-Rad is a healthcare company focused on life science research and clinical diagnostics products. The company sells instruments, software, reagents, and consumables for use areas such as in cell biology, gene expression, and protein purification. Bio-Rad has offices in 36 countries and annual sales in 2020 of more than $2.5 billion.
- White Mountains Insurance Group Ltd.: White Mountains Insurance Group is a holding company whose subsidiaries provide insurance services. It offers property and casualty insurance and reinsurance products. The company announced in early February financial results for its 2020 fiscal year (FY), which ended Dec. 31, 2020. Annual net income rose 76.2% as total revenue for the year grew 32.2%. Total expenses grew at a much slower pace than revenue, helping to boost net income.
- Huntsman Corp.: Huntsman is a manufacturer of specialty chemical products, including textile chemicals, dyes, and advanced polyurethane-based formulations. These products are used in industries such as aerospace, electronics, healthcare, power generation, construction products, and automotive. The company serves consumer and industrial customers worldwide. It operates over 70 facilities in 30 countries and employs roughly 9,000 people.
- Virtu Financial Inc.: Virtu Financial offers securities trading services. The company operates as a market maker, providing liquidity in more than 25,000 securities in 36 countries across the globe. Virtu Financial's market making segment engages in buying and selling of securities and other financial instruments. The company's execution services segment provides venues for trading in equities, ETFs, and fixed income to institutions, banks and broker dealers.
These are the top stocks as ranked by a growth model that scores companies based on a 50/50 weighting of their most recent quarterly year-over-year (YOY) percentage revenue growth and their most recent quarterly YOY earnings-per-share (EPS) growth. Both sales and earnings are critical factors in the success of a company. Therefore ranking companies by only one growth metric makes a ranking susceptible to the accounting anomalies of that quarter (such as changes in tax law or restructuring costs) that may make one or the other figure unrepresentative of the business in general. Companies with quarterly EPS or revenue growth of over 2,500% were excluded as outliers.
|Fastest Growing Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||EPS Growth (%)||Revenue Growth (%)|
|Zoom Video Communications Inc. ( ZM)||339.76||99.8||1,640||368.8|
|Liberty Broadband Corp. ( LBRDA)||151.22||29.5||188.0||871.0|
|Quidel Corp. ( QDEL)||136.86||5.8||1,420||431.7|
|Flowers Foods Inc. ( FLO)||23.99||5.1||2,500||11.5|
|The Cooper Companies Inc. ( COO)||383.34||18.8||2,220||5.3|
- Zoom Video Communications Inc.: Zoom Video Communications is a communications technology company that provides a video-first communication platform and Web conferencing services. Its cloud platform offers video, voice, content sharing, and chat for mobile devices, desktops, telephones, and room systems. Customers can engage in one-on-one chats or conduct large-scale online events with up to 10,000 view-only attendees. Zoom's net income skyrocketed for Q4 FY 2021, ended January 31, growing by more than 17 times YOY. The company nearly quintupled its base of customers with more than 10 employees for the same time period.
- Liberty Broadband Corp.: Liberty Broadband Corp. operates and owns interests in communications companies including Charter Communications Inc. (CHTR) and subsidiaries Skyhook and GCI. Liberty Broadband owns about 29% of Charter. On March 15, Liberty Broadband announced that its board of directors had declared a quarterly dividend for holders of its Series A Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Stock. The dividend of $0.43750001 per share is payable on April 15, 2021 to shareholders of record as of March 31.
- Quidel Corp.: Quidel develops and manufactures diagnostic healthcare products and related products. The company makes rapid-diagnostic tools that aid in the detection and diagnosis of critical diseases and other medical conditions. On March 1, the company reported that it had received emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for its QuickVue At-Home COVID-19 Test.
- Flowers Foods Inc.: Flowers Foods produces and sells packaged bakery goods such as pastries and doughnuts. The company's products are marketed under brand names including Nature's Own, Dave's Killer Bread, Wonder, Tastykake, Sara Lee, and Mrs. Freshley's. The main markets for its products have been supermarkets, drugstores, or foodservice companies, with the remainder sold to mass merchandisers, discount and convenience stores, and other.
- The Cooper Companies Inc.: Cooper is a medical device company operating through two major divisions. CooperVision produces contact lenses and CooperSurgical makes a variety of women's health, fertility, and diagnostic products. The company sells its products in more than 100 countries and employs more than 12,000. For its Q1 FY 2021, ended January 31, 2021, Cooper reported that net income attributable to stockholders grew more than 23-fold YOY.
Momentum investing is a factor-based investing strategy in which you invest in a stock whose price has risen faster than the market as a whole. Momentum investors believe that stocks which have outperformed the market will often continue to do so, because the factors that caused them to outperform will not suddenly disappear. In addition, other investors, seeking to benefit from the stock's outperformance, will often purchase the stock, further bidding its price higher and pushing the stock higher still. These are the stocks that had the highest total return over the last 12 months.
|Stocks with the Most Momentum|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing Total Return (%)|
|Wayfair Inc. ( W)||335.93||34.8||1,000|
|ViacomCBS Inc. ( VIAC)||91.25||56.5||731.8|
|Carvana Co. ( CVNA)||274.17||47.2||665.8|
|Tesla Inc. ( TSLA)||662.16||635.6||662.3|
|Etsy Inc. ( ETSY)||219.67||27.7||565.1|
- Wayfair Inc.: Wayfair is an e-commerce retailer offering roughly 22 million items across categories including home furnishings, decor, home improvement, and housewares. Besides its Wayfair brand, the company's portfolio includes brands such as Joss & Main, AllModern, and Perigold.
- ViacomCBS Inc.: ViacomCBS, Inc. is a diversified media company that creates and distributes content across a variety of platforms, including through cable, network television, local television, and publishing. Its operations include CBS Television Network, Showtime Networks, Nickelodeon, BET, and MTV. ViacomCBS and the National Football League announced on March 18 that they had agreed to a continuing 11-year multiplatform rights agreement. This agreement begins in 2023 and will increase the number of football games broadcasted and streamed by CBS Sports.
- Carvana Co.: Carvana is an e-commerce platform for buying and selling used cars. The company allows customers to search for vehicles, conduct vehicle inspections, obtain financing and warranty protection, complete a purchase, and set delivery or pick-up. From its launch in January 2013 through December 31, 2020, the company sold approximately 587,600 vehicles.
- Tesla Inc.: Tesla is the world's largest automaker by market value, with a market cap of about $605 billion, and is one of the world's leading makers of electric vehicles. It designs and manufactures fully electric vehicles, including luxury and mass market sedans and trucks. It also is a clean energy company and produces solar energy generation and energy storage products.
- Etsy Inc.: Etsy provides an online global marketplace catering to customers looking for handcrafted pieces, vintage items, and other goods. It offers handmade products such as shoes, clothing, bags, and accessories. Etsy operates through three geographical segments: United States, United Kingdom, and Other International.
The comments, opinions and analyses expressed herein are for informational purposes only and should not be considered individual investment advice or recommendations to invest in any security or to adopt any investment strategy. While we believe the information provided herein is reliable, we do not warrant its accuracy or completeness. The views and strategies described on our content may not be suitable for all investors. Because market and economic conditions are subject to rapid change, all comments, opinions, and analyses contained within our content are rendered as of the date of the posting and may change without notice. The material is not intended as a complete analysis of every material fact regarding any country, region, market, industry, investment, or strategy.
YCharts. "Financial Data." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Qurate Retail. "Welcome to Qurate Retail Group." Accessed Mar. 24, 2021.
Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc. "About Bio-Rad." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc. "Corporate Facts." Accessed March 24, 2021.
White Mountains Insurance Group Ltd. "WHITE MOUNTAINS REPORTS FOURTH QUARTER RESULTS," Pages 9 & 10. Accessed March 23, 2021.
Huntsman Corp. "Annual report for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2020," Page 3. Accessed March 24, 2021.
Huntsman Corp. "Company Overview." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Virtu Financial Inc. "About." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Virtu Financial Inc. "Investor Relations." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Zoom Video Communications Inc. "About." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Zoom Video Communications Inc. "Our goal is to make Zoom meetings better than in-person meetings," Page 3. Accessed March 24, 2021.
Zoom Video Communications Inc. "Zoom Video Communications Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2021 Financial Results." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Liberty Broadband Corp. "Liberty Broadband Corporation." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Liberty Broadband Corp. "Liberty Broadband Corporation Declares Quarterly Cash Dividend." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Quidel Corp. "Corporate Profile." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Quidel Corp. "Quidel Receives Emergency Use Authorization for QuickVue® At-Home COVID-19 Test." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Flowers Foods Inc. "Flowers Foods At-A-Glance." Accessed March 24, 2021.
The Cooper Companies Inc. "About Us." Accessed March 24, 2021.
The Cooper Companies Inc. "Overview." Accessed March 24, 2021.
The Cooper Companies Inc. "CooperCompanies Announces First Quarter 2021 Results." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Wayfair Inc. "About Wayfair." Accessed March 24, 2021.
ViacomCBS Inc. "Global Brands." Accessed March 24, 2021.
ViacomCBS Inc. "ViacomCBS and NFL Reach New Long-Term Multiplatform Rights Agreement Through the 2033 Season." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Carvana Co. "Annual report for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2020," Page 2. Accessed March 24, 2021.
Yahoo! Finance. "Tesla, Inc. (TSLA)." Accessed March 24, 2021.
Tesla Inc. "Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2020," Page 4. Accessed March 24, 2021.
Etsy Inc. "About." Accessed March 24, 2021.