We independently evaluate all recommended products and services. If you click on links we provide, we may receive compensation. Learn more.
Toto pet insurance offers affordable and customizable plans starting at just $1 a day.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Key Facts
Up to 90% reimbursement for covered treatments
Strong third-party ratings
Premiums start at $1 a day
No unlimited coverage option
Illness coverage is restricted by age
180-day waiting period for intervertebral disc disease and CCL injuries
- Toto pet insurance plans are available in all 50 states and Washington D.C.
- You can receive a 5% discount per pet if you insure more than one pet.
- Toto offers wellness add-ons that provide coverage for care such as dental cleanings and vaccinations.
- Year Founded 2020
- Kinds of Plans Accident-only, accident/illness, wellness add-on
- Number of Plans 2
- Payment Plan Options Monthly or annually
- Customer Service Email, phone; (888) TOTOPET
- Official Website totopetinsurance.com
- Up to 90% reimbursement for covered treatments: The reimbursement rate is the percentage Toto will pay for covered treatments after your deductible is met. You can choose a reimbursement amount as high as 90%.
- Strong third-party ratings: The insurance company that underwrites Toto policies, Independence American Insurance Company, received an A- rating (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
- Premiums start at $1 a day: Premium rates can vary based on a variety of factors, but start as low as just a dollar a day.
- No unlimited annual coverage option: While you can choose your annual coverage limit, it taps out at $15,000. There is no lifetime limit.
- Illness coverage is restricted by age: The accident and illness coverage is only available to dogs and cats nine years or younger (at time of enrollment).
- 180-day waiting period for intervertebral disc disease and CCL injuries: Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD) and cruciate ligament injuries (knee injuries) have a long waiting period of 180 days.
Toto’s pet insurance plans offer up to 90% reimbursement, and its policies have flexible deductibles and annual claim limits.
Toto, alongside its carrier partner, Independence American Insurance Company (IAIC), a Delaware insurance company, has fielded over 575,000 pet insurance claims and issued over 200,000 policies. They make it possible to hand-pick your annual limits to make sure you get the coverage you need at the prices you’re looking for. Coverage is available for both dogs and cats, and if you have more than one pet insured you can qualify for a discount.
Toto pet insurance plans are available in all 50 states and Washington D.C.
Toto’s two-base plans—accident and illness and accident-only—are available to dogs at least eight weeks old and cats at least ten weeks old. The maximum age limit for the accident and illness coverage is nine years old (at time of enrollment), but the accident-only plan has no age limit. All breeds are eligible for coverage through Toto.
The base policy includes some situations that aren’t always covered by pet insurance, like final respects coverage, which helps cover the costs of things like burial, cremation, autopsy, and urns. All plans include alternative, behavioral, and holistic coverage such as chiropractic treatment, acupuncture, herbal supplements, and vitamins. You can also enjoy exam fee coverage for your sick or injured pet, whether you visit your regular veterinarian, a specialty clinic, an emergency room, a veterinarian university, or use telemedicine.
|Diagnostics/tests||✓ (in some cases)||✓ (in some cases)|
Toto’s plans can cover a nice variety of accidents, illnesses, and preventative care, but it may not have just what you’re looking for. See our picks for the best pet insurance companies to find what you need.
An insurance rider (also referred to as an add-on) allows you to supplement a base policy with additional coverage. Toto offers two wellness add-ons, which provide coverage for things like:
- Dental cleaning
- Heartworm/flea/tick prevention
- Rabies vaccine
Reimbursement for services covered by the wellness rider is not subject to deductibles or coinsurance.
Like many insurance companies, Toto has waiting periods that specify how many days must pass after the policy effective date before coverage actually begins. Here are Toto’s waiting periods:
- Accidents: 2 days
- Illnesses: 14 days
- Alternative therapies and behavioral problems: 30 days
- Cruciate ligament injuries and IVDD: 180 days
If you decide to increase your coverage at any point, the waiting periods may apply again. But waiting periods won’t apply after an annual renewal as long as you don’t allow for any gaps in coverage to occur.
You have the option to cancel your Toto pet insurance policy at any time by calling (888) TOTOPET.
If you aren’t satisfied with the service, you can get a 100% premium refund if you cancel within the first 30 days and no claims have been submitted.
The following are not covered by any Toto pet insurance plans:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Anal gland expression
- Elective procedures
- Experimental treatments
- Grooming/nail trimming
Toto defines pre-existing conditions as illnesses or injuries that occurred or existed before the policy effective date and during the waiting periods. Renewing your annual policy won’t cause an approved condition to be considered pre-existing unless you had a gap in your coverage.
Toto pet insurance plans start at just $1 a day, but take note that premiums vary based on multiple different factors such as species, breed, and age of your pet, and where you live. The accident-only and accident/illness plans come in three tiers, allowing you to choose your deductible amount ($100, $250, or $500), reimbursement percentage (70%, 80%, or 90%), and annual coverage limit ($2,500, $7,500, or $15,000).
There’s only one policy discount: If you insure more than one pet, you can get a 5% discount for each one.
To file a claim, all you have to do is log in to Toto’s customer portal. Then you can upload the vet invoice, and submit the claim form. You need to submit your claim within 180 days of the treatment date. Your claim will be reimbursed by ACH deposit into your bank account or by check. It’s also possible to file a claim via phone, email, fax, or mail.
Claims are usually processed and reimbursement is sent within 14 business days, as long as Toto receives all necessary medical information from your veterinarian.
You can access Toto’s customer support by email (hello@TotoPetinsurance.com or Support@TotoPetInsurance.com) or by phone.
Phone support is available during the following hours:
- Monday to Friday: 8:30 am to 8 pm (EST)
- Saturday: 10 am to 3 pm (EST)
Toto has received no customer complaints through the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Toto’s insurance policies are underwritten by the Independence American Insurance Company, a Delaware insurance company, which received an A- rating (Excellent) by A.M. Best. This Financial Strength Rating indicates how financially stable an insurance company is and how likely it is to pay out claims; in this case, IAIC is seen as very stable and reliable.
The best pet insurance policy for you will vary depending on your budget, risk tolerance, and pet’s unique needs. That being said, when researching your pet insurance options you’ll want to ask the following questions to get an idea of which pet insurance provider and plan will be right for you.
- Does the company have multiple plan options?
- What are the annual and lifetime coverage limits?
- What is the monthly premium?
- How much is the deductible?
- What are the reimbursement and claim limits?
- Which treatments are covered by each plan type?
- Does the company offer a standalone wellness plan or a wellness rider option?
- What are the minimum and maximum cutoff ages?
|Annual Deductible Options||$100, $250, $500||$50–$1,000||$100, $250, $500|
|Reimbursement Percentage||70%, 80%, 90%||70%, 80%, 90%||60%, 70%, 80%, 90%|
|Average Claim Turnaround Time||3–4 days||12–17 days||12–18 days|
|Illness Waiting Period||14 days||14 days||14 days|
|Injury Waiting Period||2 days||3 days||2 days|
|Dental Illness Coverage||No||Yes||No|
|Max Enrollment Age Limit||None||None||14 years|
Overall, while the pricing can vary based on a multitude of factors, Toto pet insurance offers affordable plans that start at just $1 a day. You can secure accident-only, accident and illness, and wellness coverage through Todo, making it possible to obtain fairly robust coverage for your pet. Where some companies won’t allow pets of a certain age at all, Toto’s accident-only plan has no maximum age limit, which could provide some peace of mind for senior pet owners.
Our Methodology: How We Review Pet Insurance Carriers
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of pet insurance companies. We rated 25 providers and collected over 2,000 data points, including information about plan options, company features, and fees and limits, to ensure that our reviews help users make informed decisions for their pet insurance needs.
Our full pet insurance methodology, including our data collection process and weighted data points, is available for review.
Business Wire. "AM Best Removes From Under Review With Developing Implications, Affirms Credit Ratings of Independence American Insurance Company."
Toto. "Why Toto?"
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. "Consumer Complaint Database."