Online courses are a great way to learn anything since they combine the benefits of expert instruction with the convenience of the Internet. When it comes to technical analysis, there are a growing number of online courses available to traders of all skill levels. Traders can also work at their own pace with online courses, which makes it easier than in-person classes or other venues that require a much larger time commitment.
In this article, we will look at the top technical analysis courses for novice to advanced traders to fine-tune their skills and enhance their trading results.
- For beginners, the best way to learn technical analysis is often in-depth exposure to the theories and techniques underlying this strategy.
- There are several comprehensive courses available online, including the one offered here by Investopedia, but also several others.
- Many brokerages also offer tutorials and practice accounts for honing your charting skills.
Investopedia Academy recently launched its Technical Analysis Course, which is taught by chartered market technician JC Parets. The course has a strong focus on chart analysis and essential technical indicators that are geared toward creating actionable trading plans. The course provides over 5 hours of on-demand video, exercises, and interactive content. The instruction also includes case studies showing you exactly how and when to enter, and exit, your trading plan.
Udemy has become the world’s largest online learning marketplace with millions of students and a library of over 130,000 courses taught by expert instructors.
There are many different technical analysis courses available on Udemy, but the top-rated courses for beginners include The Complete Foundation Stock Trading Course, a 9-1/2 hour program taught by Mohsen Hassan, Stock Trading Strategies: Technical Analysis MasterClass 2, an 8-hour class taught by Jyoti Bansal, and Guide to Stock Trading with Candlestick & Technical Trading, a 4-1/2 hour class taught by Luca Moschini.
Another popular class is the Master Technical Analysis and Chart Reading Skills bundle that includes three hours and 14 lectures covering many aspects of technical analysis. The course is taught by Hari Swaminathan, founder of OptionTiger, who has taught more than 80,000 students across nearly 33 courses with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5.
Courses focus on specific subsets of technical analysis, such as candlestick reversal patterns, position trading, and even statistical analysis using R and other programming languages for those developing trading systems. Traders should find the courses that fit well with their desired asset class and trading style while keeping in mind that there are many different approaches to technical analysis.
Many online brokers offer online courses, webinars, and other training programs for those seeking to learn technical analysis. The primary benefit of these courses is that they are free for customers, and sometimes visitors, which makes them a great first option for those looking to dip their toes into technical analysis before committing to paid courses.
Some popular broker courses include:
- TD Ameritrade’s Technical Analysis Essentials covers a wide range of topics, including how to read charts, recognize price patterns, add indicators, and detect market reversals geared towards everyone from the novice to expert.
- TradeStation University holds regular live sessions that traders can sign up for to see how professional traders operate in the real world. These courses cover everything from how to use TradeStation to key indicators to time entry and exit points.
- Interactive Brokers Traders' Academy provides live and recorded webinars that explain technical analysis concepts, as well as a diverse set of courses covering everything from technical analysis basics to options strategies.
Online Trading Academy
The Online Trading Academy is one of the most popular online courses for aspiring traders to learn technical analysis and related concepts. With over two decades of experience, the company began as one of the largest trading floors in the United States and expanded into the coaching industry over time. They have developed a community of over 580,000 investors that have learned to trade successfully over time.
The company’s classes cover a wide range of trading styles and asset classes, including short-term trading, swing trading, position trading, options trading, futures trades, forex trading, and several other areas. Unlike many online courses, the company also offers on-location courses geared toward individual investors that want to use the same techniques as professional traders are Wall Street, ranging from fundamentals to risk management.
The Bottom Line
Online courses are a great way to learn technical analysis since they provide the benefit of expert instruction with the convenience of any time, anywhere access. With a growing number of options, traders can find hundreds of different courses to learn everything from the fundamentals of technical analysis to how to use these concepts in the real world.