Travelers was founded in 1864 and is currently the only property casualty company listed in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Originally formed to provide accident insurance to policyholders, the company has since branched out to include other insurance products nationwide, including Travelers homeowners insurance. It is the top writer for homeowners insurance through independent agents and has relationships with more than 13,500 independent agencies and brokers.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
Eco-friendly coverage options
Wide range of extra coverage options
Fewer discount opportunities
Differing local agent experiences
Online quotes not always available
- Travelers offers “green home” coverage that helps to repair or replace with eco-friendly materials.
- Insurance is available nationwide with plenty of additional coverage options.
- Customer service options include calling the appropriate hotline, speaking with a local agent, and secure messaging online.
- Year Founded 1864
- Official Website www.travelers.com
- Insurance Offered Auto, homeowners, renters, travelers, umbrella, and more
- Customer Service phone: 844-629-8979 during business hours; in person with local agent
- Available nationwide: Travelers insurance can provide coverage for your homeowners insurance needs no matter where you are in the U.S.
- Eco-friendly coverage options: Homeowners can add additional coverage to rebuild their home using green materials. Plus, those who already have eco-friendly features in their home may receive a discount on their premium.
- Wide range of extra coverage options: There are plenty of add-on coverage choices, including general protection for personal property and additional replacement cost protection.
- Fewer discount opportunities: Homeowners may find that there are more ways to save on their premiums with other competitors, such as discounts for paperless policies or a new roof.
- Differing local agent experiences: While you can get a more personalized experience with a dedicated agent, customer service levels may vary depending on who you work with.
- Online quotes not always available: In some cases, you’ll need to call a local agent to receive a quote or complete one online.
Travelers Standard Home Insurance Coverage Plan
Travelers standard home insurance policies cover the following:
This portion of your standard coverage will pay to repair or rebuild your home if it’s damaged by certain covered losses, which include fire, some types of severe weather, theft, and vandalism. For example, if a fire destroys your roof, Travelers will pay to have the shingles and any other damaged areas repaired.
Other Structures Coverage
In addition to the physical structure of your home, qualifying items on your property are also protected, such as fences, sheds, and detached garages. In the event of a covered loss, you may be able to have the qualifying item or structure replaced or repaired.
Personal Property Coverage
For qualifying personal items, such as appliances, electronics, and furniture, you will receive the actual cash value. Certain items may fall under special limits of liability.
Homeowners who need to move out of their home temporarily—perhaps because it is deemed uninhabitable or local authorities restrict you from being in it or the neighborhood—will receive additional living expenses. Let’s say your home has been damaged by fire, and contractors must complete major structural repairs before the home is deemed habitable. In this case, Travelers insurance will pay for expenses such as hotel stays, food costs above the usual amount you pay, and any relevant transportation costs.
Personal Liability Protection
In the event someone was physically injured or has had their property damaged while on or around your home, Travelers will provide coverage for certain expenses, such as legal defense fees for lawsuits and medical expenses if you’re found responsible. For example, a neighbor walked to your front door to return a borrowed item, and your dog bit them on the leg. If your neighbor needs multiple stitches, your coverage would pay for the medical bills related to the incident.
While rates differ based on the insurance company from which you purchase a policy, here are some common factors that could affect what you pay:
- Area or neighborhood: Insurance companies look at factors such as extreme weather risks, construction costs, and crime rates in your area to determine what your rate could look like.
- Age and condition of home: Newly remodeled homes or new construction may lower your rate. For older homes, the insurer will look at factors such as the type of building materials, the furnace’s condition, and whether its building materials are still available.
- Estimated replacement cost: Your premium will depend on how much it costs to rebuild your home. Insurers look into the costs of materials, labor, and inflation when determining rates.
- Presence of safety devices: Insurers may lower costs if your home has certain installed safety equipment, such as burglar alarms, smoke detectors, and smart home devices.
- Your deductible: Premiums tend to be higher if you choose a lower deductible.
Travelers Home Insurance Discounts
Your individual policy rate will depend on various factors, but you may be able to lower your premium by qualifying for the following discounts:
- Multiple policy discount: Homeowners can save up to 15% on their home insurance when bundling it with a Travelers auto policy. There may be more savings when bundling additional policies.
- Home buyer discount: This discount is available to homeowners who purchased their home within 12 months prior to their policy’s effective date.
- Loss-free discount: If you’re an eligible homeowner who hasn’t experienced a loss within a certain period of time, Travelers will offer you savings on your premium.
- Protective device discount: You may qualify for savings if you have protective devices installed, such as interior sprinkler systems, smoke detectors, fire alarms, and smart or connected home technology devices.
- Green home discount: Homes that have been certified as a “green home” by the Leadership Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) organization may save up to 5%.
Travelers Home Insurance Availability
Homeowners may purchase an insurance policy with Travelers wherever they live in the U.S. Keep in mind that options for coverage, discounts, rates, and other features may vary depending on the state.
Travelers Customer Service
Homeowners can reach Travelers insurance by sending a secure message online 24/7, calling the appropriate customer service hotline, or talking to a local agent. You can speak with a representative for a quote or to ask general questions by calling 866-207-8165. Hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. ET, Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET, and Sunday, 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET. Office hours for local agents depend on location.
If you’re already a customer and need to report or track a claim or have billing questions, you can reach representatives 24/7 at 800-252-4633.
How to Make a Home Insurance Claim With Travelers
Policyholders who need to file a Travelers home insurance claim have several options:
- Speak with a local Travelers insurance agent
- Log into your account online to file a claim
- Call 800-252-4633 anytime to speak with someone in the claims department
Travelers Home Insurance Cancellation Policy
You can cancel your Travelers home insurance policy at any time by contacting your local agent, submitting a written request via mail, or calling 800-842-5075. The cancellation can take effect immediately or be set for a future date. You’ll need to provide your name and policy number.
Other Insurance Provided by Travelers
Travelers provides a number of insurance products, including the following:
- Auto Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Jewelry and Valuable Items Insurance
- Boat and Yacht Insurance
- Renter’s Insurance
- Landlord Insurance
- Travel Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
- Wedding and Events Insurance
Get a Travelers Homeowners Quote
Homeowners can get a quote by contacting a local agent, calling 866-207-8165 during business hours, or through an online application form. Information you’ll be asked to provide includes your full name, phone number, address you want to insure, and the type of coverage you want. In some cases, even if you apply online, you’ll need to call to be able to receive a full quote.
Travelers offers many additional coverage options, which should be attractive to those who want to ensure that all of their insurance needs are met. Its eco-friendly coverage is rare and useful if you can meet the qualifications and want to be able to repair your home with green materials.
Some homeowners may not like the fact that online quotes aren’t always available and discounts aren’t as abundant as those of other insurers. You need to weigh the pluses and minuses carefully before deciding whether Travelers insurance is right for you.
Compare Other Home Insurance Reviews
To make sure that you receive the best price and coverage for your home insurance needs, shop around and look at multiple quotes before making your choice. While there is a lot to like about Travelers insurance, it may not provide the best fit for your particular situation.
Investopedia is dedicated to furnishing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of homeowners insurance providers. We reviewed each company’s coverage options, available discounts, customer service, and satisfaction ratings to ensure that our content helps you make the right insurance decision for your home and family.