Trinity Credit Services has one of the best credit education programs in the entire credit repair industry. However, we’re concerned about the company’s lack of transparency when it comes to fees and terms.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Overview
Free credit report evaluation
Tailors services to your goals
Offers a money-back guarantee
Track progress through an online portal
Provides a credit survival guide
Service area limited to Texas and Louisiana
Doesn’t disclose pricing
Mixed customer feedback
Must call to sign up
Credit monitoring not included
- Trinity Credit Services assists clients exclusively in Texas and Louisiana.
- The company provides educational resources that far exceed industry standards, but fails the transparency test by neglecting to disclose pricing upfront.
- Specific services are available to individuals with a particular goal in mind, such as getting approved for a home or car loan.
Trinity Credit Services is a local credit repair company based in McKinney, Texas. Founded in 1996, the company offers its services exclusively to customers in 14 metropolitan areas across Texas and Louisiana. Available services include both traditional credit repair and more specific guidance related to loan approval and employment background checks.
- Year Founded 2016
- Kinds of Credit Repair Service Credit disputes, financing assistance
- Fee Schedule Monthly
- Monitoring Options Not offered
- Customer Service Phone, email
- Official Website www.trinitycreditservices.com
If you’re located in Texas or Louisiana, you may have heard of Trinity Credit Services, a regional credit repair company that advertises customized plans and one-on-one credit assistance. There are plenty of advantages to choosing a local business for credit repair, not the least of which is more personalized attention. But can Trinity Credit Services really stand up to competition from national credit repair giants? Our review uncovered a few surprises about this company and one major red flag you should know about before moving forward.
- Free credit report evaluation: Trinity Credit Services’ free consultation goes into much further depth than most competitors, including free copies of your credit reports and a one-on-one review with a specialist.
- Tailors services to your goals: If you’re pursuing credit repair services for a specific reason, such as purchasing a home or car, Trinity Credit Services can help get your credit where it needs to be.
- Offers a money-back guarantee: Trinity Credit Services offers a refund if you don’t see results, although there aren’t any specific guidelines that dictate when or how to request one.
- Track progress through an online portal: The company provides customers with an online portal that shows the progress of each individual dispute.
- Provides a credit survival guide: Trinity Credit Services’ proprietary guide walks you through the credit repair process and teaches additional ways to improve credit. Customers receive this by mail within 10 days after signing up for services.
- Service area limited to Texas and Louisiana: You can only sign up with Trinity Credit Services if you live in one of 14 metropolitan areas across these two states.
- Doesn’t disclose pricing: Trinity Credit Services won’t tell you how much their services cost unless you call and ask. Most reputable credit repair companies clearly post this information on their website for transparency.
- Mixed customer feedback: While many reviews for Trinity Credit Services are positive, there’s also some complaints with organizations such as the BBB.
- Must call to sign up: The company doesn’t let you get in touch or ask for a quote online. The only way to request services is to pick up the phone and call.
- Credit monitoring not included: Some credit repair companies provide credit monitoring for free or at an additional monthly cost, but Trinity Credit Services fails to offer it entirely.
Types of Services
Trinity Credit Services presents a relatively limited scope of credit repair services compared to competitors. Aside from basic credit disputes, there isn’t much the company will do for you. With that said, Trinity Credit Services does go above and beyond to supply customers with noteworthy educational tools and resources.
The primary reason most people hire a credit repair company is to have someone handle the credit dispute process. According to Trinity Credit Services, they begin sending disputes to the credit bureaus fairly quickly, within five days of signup. The bureaus then mail their decisions directly to the customer’s home address. To help handle the correspondence, Trinity Credit Services sends each customer a pack of labels to attach to any communications received before forwarding them to their case manager.
It isn’t out of the norm for credit repair companies to provide customers with educational tools, but Trinity Credit Services makes this a core focus of their product. The company mails each customer a credit survival guide with ample information and resources. They also encourage customers to attend complimentary webinars and complete online learning programs.
If a credit repair company’s standard plan doesn’t quite fit the bill, you can sometimes take advantage of optional add-ons to create a customized package. Trinity Credit Service offers something similar through its Credit Ready program, a plan that takes a more goal-oriented approach than the standard service. Through Credit Ready, the company will work with you to achieve a specific financial outcome by combining credit repair services with a credit improvement strategy and education.
Loan Approval Assistance
If you’re aiming to improve your credit before securing a home or car loan, Trinity Credit Services will continue working with you after the credit repair process is complete. Once your credit score is in the best shape possible, the company will guide you through the process of applying for and securing a loan, ideally helping you get better terms than you would otherwise.
Credit repair companies often make money through affiliate partnerships, collecting a commission anytime they refer customers to a third-party service. If you work with Trinity Credit Repair to secure a loan, keep in mind that this may affect which lenders they recommend. Do your homework and get rates from your own lenders to compare terms first.
Job Application Preparation
Certain jobs may check your credit report before extending an offer. If you work in an industry related to finance or hold a position that requires a security clearance, having poor credit could hurt your career. Trinity Credit Service offers a dedicated option for job applicants worried about items on their report that might place them in a negative light.
Trinity Credit Services is a regional credit repair company that only serves clients in Texas and Louisiana. Representatives, which the company calls credit navigators, are available during business hours by phone and email. Customers located in the Celina, Texas, area are also encouraged to visit the Trinity Credit Services office in person.
Depending on where you go for information about Trinity Credit Services, you’ll find a vastly different mix of customer feedback. The company has an excellent 4.5-star average rating on its Google listing, with dozens of rave reviews and only a handful of negative ones.
On the other hand, Trinity Credit Services’ Better Business Bureau rating of C+ leaves something to be desired. Most concerning is the presence of complaints that detail questionable business practices, including asking for several months’ worth of fees upfront and promising specific outcomes. However, no official complaints have been filed with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
The Credit Repair Organizations Act prohibits credit repair companies from promising a specific outcome to customers who pay for their service. If any credit repair service guarantees that you’ll see certain results, find a different company to work with.
If you have a complaint about the services of a credit repair company, you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or call 877-FTC-HELP.
Trinity Credit Services doesn’t officially lock customers into a month-to-month contract and cautions on its website against working with credit repair companies that do. However, multiple testimonials from former customers claim that the company provided an estimated service length and asked for payment upfront according to that projected time period. This is potentially problematic as credit repair companies have no way to accurately predict the number of months it will take to complete the credit dispute process.
In spite of this, Trinity Credit Services does offer a money-back guarantee on its credit repair service. If you don’t see any results, you’re entitled to request a refund. However, the company doesn’t give details on how long customers are expected to wait before asking for their money back. Most competitors with guarantees give a specific period of time, typically 60 or 90 days.
Our most pressing concern about Trinity Credit Services is that the company doesn’t publicly disclose its pricing information. The company requires customers to actually call and ask for pricing.
There’s no good reason to work with a credit repair company that isn’t transparent about its pricing structure. The vast majority of reputable services post prices clearly on their website to let customers decide if they can afford it before picking up the phone. Those that neglect to show this information often do so to get customers on the phone, where they can more easily be convinced to sign up through pressuring sales tactics.
The Competition: Trinity Credit Services vs. The Credit People
We compared Trinity Credit Services to The Credit People, a competitor that provides credit repair to customers anywhere in the country. Like Trinity Credit Services, The Credit People is also known to ask customers to prepay for several months of services, although the latter discloses this clearly on its website alongside a month-to-month option.
The Credit People charges a low $19 first work fee and a flat-rate ongoing service fee of $79 per month. With this fee, you’ll also get complimentary credit monitoring, which isn’t available through Trinity Credit Services. Even though The Credit People’s library of educational materials doesn’t quite meet the high bar set by Trinity Credit Services, The Credit People still emerges as the clear winner for its transparency and value.
|Trinity Credit Services||The Credit People|
|Services Offered||Credit disputes, financing assistance||Credit disputes, credit monitoring|
|Customer Service Touchpoints||Phone, email, in person, client portal||Phone, email, client portal|
|Upfront Fee||Contact for Quote||$19|
|Monthly Fee||Contact for Quote||$79|
Trinity Credit Services offers personalized, small-business service and has a great focus on customer education. Unfortunately, this is overshadowed by a pricing structure that lacks transparency and doesn’t work in the customer’s favor. Those located in Trinity Credit Services’ limited service area of Texas and Louisiana should consider alternatives before handing over several months’ worth of service fees in advance.
How We Review Credit Repair Companies
Despite strict legislation governing credit repair, the companies that make up the industry are known for reeling customers in with lofty promises that often can’t be kept. To help you navigate the trap-laden world of credit repair, we review companies using a strict set of guidelines based on expert input and industry standards. Our scoring system takes every aspect of credit repair into consideration, including the type of services offered, fee structure, company reputation, and customer feedback.
Learn more: Read our full Credit Repair Review Methodology here.