We recommend the best products through an independent review process, and advertisers do not influence our picks. We may receive compensation if you visit partners we recommend. Read our advertiser disclosure for more info.
Between its accident and illness plan and a wellness add-on, TrustedPals Pet Insurance can cover a variety of your pet's needs, with discounts that make it easy to save if you insure more than one pet, have a service animal, or work a certain job.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Takeaways
- Company Key Facts
You can choose a $0 deductible and 100% reimbursement percentage
High third-party ratings
Cured pre-existing conditions can receive coverage
No accident-only plan available
Monthly fees may apply
No 30-day money-back guarantee
- You can purchase a wellness add-on to receive routine and preventative care coverage for treatments like teeth cleaning and vaccinations.
- A few discounts are available, including a 5% multi-pet discount and a 5% discount for military members, service dog owners, and other select groups.
- While TrustedPal’s waiting period is 14 days for accidents and injuries, for hip dysplasia and cruciate ligament problems the waiting period is 12 months.
- Year Founded 2018
- Kinds of Plans Accident and illness
- Number of Plans 1
- Payment Plan Options Monthly, annual
- Customer Service Email, phone: (800) 358-3801
- Official Website trustedpals.com
- You can choose a $0 deductible and 100% reimbursement percentage: You have a lot of flexibility when it comes to your deductible, reimbursement percentage, co-pay, and annual benefit limits.
- High third-party ratings: TrustedPals is an acting agent of Zurich American Insurance Company, which received one of the highest possible AM Best scores (A+ out of A++). This signals a high level of financial security and reliability.
- Cured pre-existing conditions can obtain coverage: It’s hit or miss if a pet insurance company allows for coverage of pre-existing conditions that have been cured. TrustedPals doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions, but if a pre-existing condition is fully cured, it won’t be counted as pre-existing anymore, and you can receive coverage if it occurs again.
- No accident-only plan is available: Unfortunately, TrustedPals only offers accident and illness coverage (plus a wellness add-on).
- Monthly fees may apply: If you pay for your policy in monthly installments there will be a $1 per month transaction fee.
- No 30-day money-back guarantee: Many pet insurance providers provide a full refund if you cancel within 30 days; but with TrustedPals, when you cancel you can only potentially receive a refund for any unearned premium on a prorated basis.
TrustedPal’s wide variety of discounts makes it possible to save on your pet insurance policy. The wellness add-on costs extra, but it can help you get the coverage you need to keep your pet happy and healthy.
Founded in 2019, TrustedPals is a pet insurance company backed by Marsh, a “global leader in insurance broking.” TrustedPal’s accident and illness plan is available for cats and dogs in all 50 states.
TrustedPals offers a wide variety of discounts, such as a multi-pet discount, a service animal discount, and others if you’re in certain occupations. You can get a custom quote online in just two minutes, and can then apply to buy a policy.
TrustedPals offers a fairly typical pet insurance policy, but you’ll find many variations in price and coverage between companies. See our choices for the top companies in a variety of categories with our picks for the best pet insurance providers.
TrustedPals only offers one type of pet insurance plan—accident and illness. Dogs and cats of all breeds and ages (after the age of eight weeks) can receive coverage through this plan. Accident and illness is a fairly standard plan that covers your basic unexpected pet healthcare needs.
The accident/illness plan and wellness add-on include coverage for the following issues.
|Covered Treatment||Accident and Illness||Wellness Add-On|
|Virtual vet visit||✓|
|Flea and tick prevention||✓|
If you want more coverage than the accident and illness plan has to offer, you can take advantage of a wellness add-on to receive routine and preventative care coverage for the issues shown above. You’ll get $750 per year in coverage for treatments prescribed by a licensed vet after your plan’s deductible is met.
Most pet insurance companies have waiting periods after enrollment that dictate when coverage kicks in, which are designed to prevent fraud. TrustedPal’s waiting period is 14 days for most accident and illness-related issues. For hip dysplasia and cruciate ligament problems, the waiting period is 12 months.
You can cancel your plan at any time by calling (800) 358-3801. When you cancel, you can potentially receive a refund for any unearned premium on a prorated basis.
With TrustedPals’ wellness add-on you can get coverage for things like spaying and neutering, which aren’t covered by the base plan. The following aren’t covered by any plans or add-ons:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Boarding, grooming, transport
- Hip dysplasia in the first 12 months
- Cruciate ligament injuries in the first 12 months
- Anything not prescribed by a veterinarian
TrustedPals does not cover pre-existing conditions that occur before coverage begins. However, if a pre-existing condition is fully cured, you can receive coverage for it if your pet gets the condition again.
The cost of your TrustedPals plan will depend on a few different factors, such as your pet’s age and breed, where you live, and whether or not your pet is a male or female. You can expect your plan pricing to rise throughout the pet’s life, as it generally costs more to care for older pets.
Luckily, there are some discounts available through TrustedPals:
- 5% discount for insuring more than one pet
- 5% discount for military members or veterans, those that work in a veterinary clinic, vet students, first responders, and owners of service animals
Discounts aren’t allowed in New York and Tennessee.
You have some flexibility when it comes to your reimbursement level, annual deductible, and annual benefit limit; all of those factors will impact your premium costs.
- Reimbursement level: 100%, 90%, 80%, 70%
- Annual deductible options: $0, $100, $250, $500, $750
- Annual benefit limit: $4,000, $8,000, $15,000, unlimited
There is no lifetime benefit limit.
TrustedPals says you can receive a quote online in two minutes, and plans start at $0.67 a day.
You can file an insurance claim online using TrustedPal’s “Pawtal” (where you can also track your claim), or you can file by phone at (800) 358-3801. You can only file claims after the waiting periods are over.
TrustedPals aims to finalize the claim process within 10 business days. If they need more information to complete your claim they will usually contact your vet directly and will inform you if the claim will take longer than expected.
You must submit your claim within 60 days of the treatment or invoice date.
You can contact TrustedPal’s customer service team by email or phone. Phone support is available Monday to Friday, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (800) 358-3801
TrustedPals’ pet insurance is underwritten by Zurich American Insurance Company, which received one of the highest possible AM Best scores (A+ out of A++). This high score signals that the company is financially stable, and therefore likely to pay out its insurance claims.
Zurich American Insurance Company didn’t receive any customer complaints from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, another good sign. When Investopedia spoke to TrustedPals customers, one client said they chose to renew their policy because “They are extremely reliable and our interactions are professional. The coverage and reimbursement is excellent.”
Before signing up for a pet insurance policy, it’s important to do your due diligence and shop around for the best policy to meet your needs. When looking at different pet insurance providers, compare the following elements of each policy.
- Deductible amounts
- Which treatments they cover and which they don’t
- How they handle pre-existing conditions
- Coverage limits
- Monthly premium
- Wellness coverage (may be a rider)
- Reimbursement percentages and limits
- Breed or age limitations
|Annual Deductible Options||$0, $100, $250, $500, $750||$100||$100, $250, $500, $1,000|
|Reimbursement Percentage||70%, 80%, 90%, 100%||90%||70%, 80%, 90%|
|Average Claim Turnaround Time||10 days||3–5 days||3–30 days|
|Illness Waiting Period||14 days||None||14 days|
|Injury Waiting Period||14 days||None||5 days|
|Dental Illness Coverage||Yes||No||Yes|
|Max Enrollment Age Limit||None||None||None|
There are quite a few good pet insurance providers to choose from. We’ve narrowed down the top companies in various categories with our picks for the best pet insurance providers.
You can get pretty thorough pet insurance coverage with TrustedPals thanks to its accident and illness plan and wellness add-on. Prices are not bad compared to other companies, and there’s a nice selection of discounts you may qualify for. TrustedPals’ policy around pre-existing conditions could be especially attractive for those with pets that currently have some ailments.
Our Methodology: How We Review Pet Insurance Carriers
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of pet insurance companies. We rated 25 providers and collected over 2,000 data points, including information about plan options, company features, and fees and limits, to ensure that our reviews help users make informed decisions for their pet insurance needs.
Our full pet insurance methodology, including our data collection process and weighted data points, is available for review.