1. Introduction to Commodities
  2. Commodities: Cocoa
  3. Commodities: Coffee
  4. Commodities: Copper
  5. Commodities: Corn
  6. Commodities: Cotton
  7. Commodities: Crude Oil
  8. Commodities: Feeder Cattle
  9. Commodities: Gold
  10. Commodities: Heating Oil
  11. Commodities: Live Cattle
  12. Commodities: Lumber
  13. Commodities: Natural Gas
  14. Commodities: Oats
  15. Commodities: Orange Juice
  16. Commodities: Platinum
  17. Commodities: Rough Rice
  18. Commodities: Silver
  19. Commodities: Soybeans and Soybean Oil
  20. Commodities: Sugar
  21. Commodities: Wheat
  22. Understanding Commodities Trading

Sugar is a crystalline of carbohydrates that has been a natural ingredient in our diets for thousands of years. At one point, the refined table sugar we consider a staple was so rare and expensive it was called “white gold.” Today, sugar is the most popular ingredient added to foods in the U.S. The average American consumes more than 150 pounds of sugar per year.

Contract Specifications

Ticker Symbol

YO (CME Globex)

SB (ICE)

Contract Size

112,000 pounds

Contract Months

H, K, N, V

Trading Hours

CME Globex: Sunday – Friday, 6:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (there’s an hour break from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. each day)

ICE: Monday – Friday, 3:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Last Trading Day

CME Globex: The day immediately preceding the first notice day of the corresponding trading month of Sugar No. 11 futures at ICE Futures U.S.

ICE: The last business day of the month preceding the delivery month

Price Quote

U.S. Dollars per pound

Tick Size

$0.0001 per pound ($11.20 per contract)

Production        

About 80% of the world’s sugar comes from sugarcane, a perennial grass that is grown in tropical and subtropical areas. The other 20% comes from sugar beets, grown mostly in the temperate zones of the Northern Hemisphere. Worldwide, 70 countries produce sugar from sugarcane, 40 from sugar beets and 10 from both. The top producers are Brazil, India, China, Thailand and Pakistan.

Price Drivers

Despite health concerns and increasing obesity, there is strong demand for sugar throughout the world. Factors that influence sugar prices include:

  • global sugar stocks (inventories)
  • global consumption outlook
  • inflation (sugar tends to be correlated to the U.S. inflation rate)
  • weather conditions and weather outlooks
  • governmental regulations

 


Commodities: Wheat
Related Articles
  1. Insights

    The 5 Countries That Produce the Most Sugar

    Learn what countries benefit the most from the world's obsession with sweets and what the possibilities of clean fuels from sugar could mean for them.
  2. Investing

    The Top 3 ETFs For Investing in Sugar (SGG, SGAR)

    Discover information about the exchange-traded funds, or ETFs, that offer investors exposure to the basic agricultural commodity, sugar.
  3. Trading

    Now Is the Time to Buy Sugar and Coffee (JO, SGG)

    Most traders are currently focused on hard commodities such as gold and oil. However, bullish price action in coffee and futures suggest now is the time to invest in soft commodities.
  4. Investing

    Cereal Makers Grapple With World’s Obesity Crisis

    Kellogg and other leading packaged food giants spend millions to counter the growing war on sugar.
  5. Investing

    How “Sugar” Helps Boost Coke Sales (KO)

    Coca-Cola's simple twist on a decade-old brand has led to strong results.
  6. Investing

    Active Traders Are Turning Bullish on Sugar and Timber

    These chart patterns suggest that commodities such as sugar are worth a closer look.
  7. Investing

    Novo’s Basal Insulin Gets CHMP Nod to Update Label

    Novo’s next-gen basal insulin, Tresiba, got a positive opinion from an EU body to update its label.
  8. Investing

    Forget Stocks, Buy Soft Commodities

    So far in 2014, investing in commodities has proven to be the best place to put your money to work.
  9. Investing

    The Real Cost Of Drinking Coffee

    How much is your morning jolt hurting your wallet? More than half of Americans drink coffee every day, and the costs add up.
Frequently Asked Questions
  1. What are the three phases of a completed initial public offering (IPO) transformation process?

    An initial public offering (IPO) represents a private company's first offering of its equity to public investors.
  2. After an initial public offering, does a company profit from increases in its share price?

    The short answer is "no." To understand why, you have to know how the market works.
  3. What is the difference between the equity method and the proportional consolidation method?

    Discover the differences between the equity method and the proportional consolidation method of joint venture accounting, ...
  4. What costs are not counted in gross profit margin?

    Gross profit margin is the percentage of revenue that exceeds the cost of goods sold for a company. However, not all expenses ...
Trading Center