The U.S. Bank Flexperks Gold American Express Card is not one of our top-rated rewards credit cards. You can review our list of the rewards credit cards for what we think are better options.
Full Review of U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card
TSA PreCheck or Global Entry
No foreign transaction fee
No introductory APR
No transfer partners
- Complimentary Wi-Fi: The U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express card also comes with a complimentary Boingo Wi-Fi membership. This allows you to connect with Boingo hotspots all over the world, free of charge. This benefit must be accessed through American Express CONNECT.
- TSA PreCheck or Global Entry: Depending on which program you apply for first, you can receive an automatic statement credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry. The membership is valid for five years, and you can access the benefit through American Express CONNECT.
- No Foreign Transaction Fee: There’s no need to worry about foreign transaction fees when you travel since this card doesn’t charge any such fees. It’s a way to go abroad without worrying about extra fees.
- Annual Fee: There is an annual fee of $85. However, for what is included with this card, it might be worth paying the annual fee, especially if you earn enough points to redeem for an award airline flight each year.
- No Introductory APR: The U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express card doesn’t have a 0% APR offer on balance transfers or purchases. If you’re looking to move high-interest balances, or if you want to save on purchases for a period of time, this card won’t help.
- No Transfer Partners: With the FlexPerks program, there are no transfer partners. So, while you can redeem your points with various airlines and hotels, you can’t transfer your points to other rewards programs.
This Card is Best For
Seeks to maximize points or miles earnings across spending categories
Flies often for business or leisure
Dines out regularly while traveling or in home city
Travels outside of U.S. on occasion or frequently
The U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express card is ideal for those who enjoy travel and want to earn tiered rewards on certain purchases. Because card members earn 3X FlexPoints at restaurants, this card can work well for those who enjoy dining out. Additionally, members earn 2X points on airline purchases and at gas stations.
Travelers who plan to use this card when they purchase airfare and hope to earn points faster by dining out can then turn around and redeem their points later for various rewards. Plus, without a foreign transaction fee to worry about, the card can be a good choice for use when traveling abroad.
Additionally, this card can be good for those who like extra perks like complimentary Wi-Fi and access to benefits like concierge, shopping, and experiences. This card offers access to American Express CONNECT which offers extra dining experiences and provides entertainment perks, along with other services. If you want a few extra perks for a reasonable annual fee, this card can be a good choice.
For those who prefer straight cash back, however, this card might not be the best choice. While it’s possible to redeem for statement credit, other cards might provide cash back alternatives. The Capital One Savor card, for example, offers 3% cash back on dining and entertainment and 2% cash back at grocery stores. The annual fee is $95 (waived for the first year). This is a comparable card that offers a slightly different reward earning potential.
U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Bonus
Receive 30,000 bonus FlexPoints when you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases in the first four months of card membership. This bonus is worth $450 when redeemed for airfare, car rentals, hotels and other items.
The one-time offer is reasonable when compared with other cards. The Capital One Savor offers a $200 cash back bonus, but you have to spend $500 in the first three months. The Chase Sapphire Preferred card, which has an annual fee of $95, offers 60,000 bonus points, but you have to spend $4,000 in three months to get the bonus. And, while it’s worth more ($750 when redeemed for travel), it’s harder to earn.
For the relatively small spending requirement and the longer time you have to meet the threshold, the bonus offered by the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express credit card is very reasonable.
Rewards Earning Details
Earn FlexPoints on a tiered basis:
- 5X points on prepaid hotels and car rentals booked through the FlexPerks Rewards Center
- 3X points for each dollar spent at restaurants
- 2X points for each dollar spent at airlines and gas stations
- 1X point for each dollar spent on other purchases
Rewards Redemption Details
Rewards can be redeemed through the FlexPerks website for a number of different rewards. Some of the items included in redemption include:
- Travel (airfare, hotel, car rental)
- Gift cards
- Statement credit
Rewards redeemed for travel are worth about 1.5 cents apiece. However, redemption values might vary, depending on what you end up getting. Use the FlexPerks website to see what you end up with in terms of redemption values.
There are no transfer partners available with the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express card. This card does not earn Amex Membership points. FlexPoints, while they can be redeemed for travel, can’t be transferred to other loyalty programs.
How to Maximize Your Rewards
The best way to maximize your rewards with the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express card is to use it to make purchases at restaurants for the enhanced rewards earnings on dining. You can also maximize your rewards by getting 2X points on gas station and airline purchases. If you travel a lot or eat out a lot, this card can help you maximize points.
In fact, in 2019, the average consumer spent $3,526 on food away from home. That’s 10,578 FlexPoints—or $158.67 in terms of travel redemptions. That’s more than enough to offset the annual fee. With other spending added in, there’s a possibility of earning even more and maximizing your rewards further.
When using a credit card like the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express, it might make sense to do most of your regular spending on the card to earn rewards. However, it’s important to pay off the balance each month to avoid paying interest.
U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card’s Outstanding Benefits
- Access to American Express CONNECT for dining, entertainment, and shopping
- Concierge service
- Retail protection
- ID theft expense reimbursement
- Zero fraud liability
- Car rental loss and damage insurance
- Travel accident insurance
- Lost luggage insurance
U.S. Bank ranked tenth out of 11 national card issuers and scored below average in the J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study.
It’s also possible to access the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express through the mobile app offered by U.S. Bank. On Google Play, the app has a rating of 4.5 and in the Apple App Store, it has a rating of 4.8.
With the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express card, you can expect $0 liability on fraudulent purchases. Additionally, the card comes with smart chip technology designed to be more secure.
The U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express credit card can be a decent choice for someone who wants tiered rewards that focus on travel and dining. The annual fee of $85 is reasonable for the perks involved and in line with other credit cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred that offers tiered rewards and comes with an annual fee of $95. The Capital One Savor One is another comparable option with no annual fee. Because there is no foreign transaction fee, this card can also work well for those who frequently travel overseas.
For those who don’t mind managing their FlexPerks and redeeming points for a variety of rewards, instead of getting straight cash back, this card can be a good choice.