U.S. Bank, one of the country’s largest banks with a history dating to 1863, offers banking products to customers nationwide. The company has two, unsecured, fixed-rate personal loans for existing U.S. Bank customers with good credit scores. In this review we will focus on the U.S. Bank Personal Loan, as well as cover a few key details of the U.S. Bank Simple Loan. Find out what you need to know before applying for a U.S. Bank personal loan.
- Product Specifications
- Pros & Cons
- APR Range 6.49% to 16.49%
- Loan Amounts $1,000 to $50,000
- Loan Terms 12 to 60 months
- Recommended Minimum Credit Score 680
Quick Access to Funds
Discount for Autopay
U.S. Bank Account Required
Some In-Person Loan Closings
- Origination fee: None
- Prepayment Penalty: If you pay off a loan of $5,000 or more within one year, there is a 1% penalty based on the original loan amount. The minimum fee is $50, and the maximum is $100.
- Late Payment Fee: $29 after a five-day grace period (No fee with Simple Loan)
- Returned Payment Fee: $25 (No fee with Simple Loan)
- Competitive APR: U.S. Bank offers a better than average annual percentage rate (APR) for the most qualified borrowers.
- Quick Access to Funds: You will likely have access to the money within one business day of the loan closing.
- Discount for Autopay: If you sign up for automatic payments from a U.S. Bank account, you'll receive an APR discount of 0.50%.
- Co-Applicants Allowed: U.S. Bank allows you to apply for a personal loan with a cosigner.
- U.S. Bank Account Required: U.S. Bank offers a personal loan for existing customers.
- No Prequalification There is no option to check rates with a soft pull on your credit.
- Some In-Person Loan Closings: After getting approved, some customers may have to visit a branch to finalize the loan. Depending on where you live, this extra step may be a hassle.
Types of Personal Loans Offered by U.S. Bank
U.S. Bank offers four personal loan products:
- U.S. Bank Personal Loan
- U.S. Bank Simple Loan (for small emergencies)
- U.S. Bank Personal Line of Credit (instant access to funds)
- U.S. Bank Reserve Line of Credit (overdraft protection)
Time to Receive Funds
With the U.S. Bank Personal Loan, you can expect to have access to funds within one business day of finalizing your approved loan. Same-day funding may be possible with the Simple Loan if you meet these two requirements:
- Have a U.S. Bank checking or savings account
- Close the loan online on a business day by 8:00 p.m. CT
Otherwise, you can expect to receive the funds by the end of the next business day.
U.S. Bank Personal Loan Features
- Use the personal loan for any purchase or product
- No origination fee
- Customer service in person or by phone
- U.S. Bank mobile banking app
Apply for a U.S. Bank Personal Loan
Before you begin, it’s important to know that U.S. Bank doesn’t allow you to prequalify with a soft pull on your credit. When you submit an application, there will be a hard inquiry on your credit, which will temporarily lower your score.
1. Start the application process by logging into your U.S. Bank account. The company may have already filled in some of the fields, which you will have the option to change.
2. The application will ask for housing details:
- Home Address
- Date of Occupancy
- Rent or Own
- Monthly Housing Payments
3. U.S. Bank also wants to know about your job:
- Employment Status
- Length of Employment
- Employer’s Contact Information
4. The company will ask about your income. U.S. Bank allows you to include these sources:
- Salary and Wages
- Self-Employment Income
- Social Security Income
- Retirement Pay
- Public Assistance
- Disability Income
- Rental Income
- Spouse’s or domestic partner’s income
5. The next step asks how much you want to borrow, your preferred loan term, and the purpose of the loan.
6. You will have the opportunity to review your application and make changes.
7. Before submitting the application, you will review the loan details, including the APR, terms, and information about automatic payments. You will also review and accept the company’s disclosures, credit authorization, and consumer pricing information.
8. U.S. Bank will let you know about your loan approval status in less than a minute. It may be possible to close online, but some customers will have to visit a U.S. Bank branch.
9. You will have access to the funds within one business day of the loan closing.
Can I Refinance a Personal Loan with U.S. Bank?
It’s possible to refinance with U.S. Bank if your creditworthiness improves and you want to secure a better APR.
The U.S. Bank Personal Loan is a solid option for its current customers who have a good credit score. The company offers competitive APRs and fees. The U.S. Bank Simple Loan may be worth considering for a one-time emergency, especially in lieu of a payday loan, but it won’t be the cheapest option. Remember, there is no prequalification option so your credit score may be affected as you're comparing rates from multiple lenders.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of personal loan lenders. We collected over 25 data points across more than 50 lenders—including interest rates, fees, loan amounts, and repayment terms—to ensure that our content helps users make the right borrowing decision for their needs.