Founded in 1922 and headquartered in San Antonio, USAA is a members-only bank serving the military community. Personal loans are available starting at a fixed rate of 7.24% APR. Applicants need to be members to apply—to qualify you’ll need to be a qualifying member of the military or a family member of one.
We’ve reviewed relevant and important details, including fees and loan amounts to help you make a decision about whether USAA is the right fit for your financial situation.
- Product Specifications
- Pros & Cons
- APR Range 7.24% to 17.65% APR (0.25% discount if enrolled in autopay)
- Loan Amounts $2,500 to $5,000
- Loan Terms 12 to 48 months
- Recommended Minimum Credit Score 600
Ability to receive loan proceeds quickly
No application fee
Autopay discount available
Access for members only
Low maximum personal loan amount
No soft credit inquiry available
- Origination fee: None
- Late payment fee: 5% of the amount due
- Prepayment penalty: None
- Ability to receive loan proceeds quickly - Once approved, borrowers can expect to get funds as soon as 24 hours.
- No application fee - USAA doesn’t charge a fee to apply for their personal loan, nor will you pay extra if you decide to pay off your loan early.
- Autopay discount available - Borrowers may receive 0.25% off their rate if they choose to make automatic payments towards their personal loan payments.
- Access for members only - Only USAA members have access to the lender’s products.
- Low maximum personal loan amount - At $5,000, this amount is low for those who need more cash to finance large purchases such as major home repairs or even consolidate larger amounts of high interest debt.
- No prequalification option available - Applicants will be subject to a hard inquiry, which could have an affect on your credit score.
Types of Personal Loans Offered by USAA
USAA allows borrowers to use their personal loans for almost all purposes. This can include home improvement projects, relocation expenses, car repairs or other types of major purchases. Although USAA doesn’t have a separate debt consolidation loan, you can take out a personal loan from the lender to pay off existing high-interest debt..
Time to Receive Funds
The lender may approve your loan within a few minutes and you’ll be sent your loan proceeds as soon as 24 business hours later.
USAA Personal Loan Features
USAA Membership Required
The lender only grants personal loans to its members. To qualify, you’ll need to be a qualifying U.S. military member or are an eligible family member — this includes those on active duty, veterans, cadets, those in the Guard or Reserve, or midshipmen.
Autopay Discount Available
Borrowers can receive a 0.25% discount off their final rate if they opt into autopay.
Apply for a USAA Personal Loan
USAA requires applicants to be a member to apply for a loan. The entire process can be done online or over the phone by calling 800-531-8722. Here’s what to expect:
- Join USAA as a member if you haven’t already done so. You’ll need to provide personal details as details about you or your family member’s military service and create an online account.
- Submit relevant documentation such as a discharge certificate, your military orders to verify your status, and finalize your membership application.
- Log into your account to begin the personal loan application process.
- Fill out relevant details such as the desired loan amount and term.
- Review loan offers and follow the prompts to complete the application process. This can include supporting documentation.
Once USAA approves your loan, sign your loan documents and your loans will be deposited into your USAA bank account as soon as 24 hours.
Can You Refinance a Personal Loan With USAA?
No, you cannot refinance your USAA personal loan.
USAA offers competitive rates for its members (including a discount for autopay), though borrowers who desire a longer loan term will need to take out a larger loan amount. This lender is best for borrowers who aren’t looking to take out more than $5,000 and pay it back over a longer period of time (within 48 months).
Unfortunately, since USAA personal loans are only available to members, not everyone can qualify even if credit requirements are met. That means unless you’re either a qualifying U.S. military member or you are a qualifying relative of one, you'll need to look elsewhere. Plus, the late fee is high, considering you'll need to pay 5% of the amount due. That being said, it's in line with some of USAA's other competitors.
Either way, shopping around is the best way to find the best rate and terms for your credit profile.
Investopedia is dedicated to providing consumers with unbiased, comprehensive reviews of personal loan lenders. We collected over 25 data points across more than 50 lenders—including interest rates, fees, loan amounts, and repayment terms—to ensure that our content helps users make the right borrowing decision for their needs.
USAA. "USAA Company Overview." Accessed May 18, 2020.